Greyhound Places Historic Order for 220 New Buses from MCI and Prevost

DJ MC

As they are lift buses I can see them lasting a couple more years before they are retired. As I said they will most likely be kept just for charters, spares and training coaches.

Yep this is exactly what happened with the 102A3s except they were a whole lot more reliable then the G Series ever was. 

Canada got most of the rebuilt and unrebuild 102A3's that were not lift equipped.

Yep. Someone who worked at Greyhound back when they had 102s told me about them. They were good buses, but were a maintenance nightmare and not as durable as the MC-9/12s. They also had some frame problems too. Even with their issues they were more reliable then the G Series. 

Yep. Someone who worked at Greyhound back when they had 102s told me about them. They were good buses, but were a maintenance nightmare and not as durable as the MC-9/12s. They also had some frame problems too. Even with their issues they were more reliable then the G Series. 

here is an update on the Canadian roster   http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Greyhound_Canada    

The USA roster needs updating http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Greyhound_USA

That is way out of date since it was last updated in 2005!

At least it shows the past bus roster. This is the only site I know of that has this and I've been searching for one for a few years now. Make the best of it as they always say.

Ooh, le coach Prevost, il fait beau!

You also have the occasional bed bugs as well.

You too? I've done that before from SF to LA and it's not cool. Though then I was glad the driver did that as I believe it is against Greyhound's official policy.

And I have to ask, why does everyone seem to rave about the G series? They're literally utter shit. Do you know how many have combusted. They overheat like crazy. I remember this once it was so bad with a G series unit we had to wait an hour in the middle of ass f**k nowhere near Coalinga, CA for the damn bus to cool down. Mind you we were in 105 degree weather surrounded by bovine pastures and a Burger King randomly placed along the road. Not a good combination.

Luckily I never had the misfortune of riding them painful dude.

Luckily I never rode greyhound before 1998 teehee!!

Even if I did continue riding Greyhound after 1998 there is a good chance I would of rode on the MC-9s and 102A3s (which were retiring slowly by that point) and the MC-12s.

I think it's good that Greyhound is adding buses rather than subtracting. This is Important especially during the holiday rush where they have to borrow buses from other companies i.e. Raritan Valley, Saddle River, Villani. I did a few trips for Greyhound with Saddle River, and our buses don't have wifi. This kid would not get on the bus and kept jawing at me saying all buses have wifi, just like a pestulent child. I think he was a hipster. Anyway good for Greyhound and I don't ever want to hear about there not being enough buses

• 3 weeks later...

Seen at The Port this week is new Greyhound # 86808, one of four Van Hool CO 2045's painted white, with grey lettering and dog logo-- a sort of reverse image of the blue X-3's and D4505's.

They are currently training driver's on its operation.  They tell me that two are allocated to the "Yo Bus" Chinatown operation, and the other two to the mainline fleet.

One official told me that MCI and Prevost are too backlogged to deliver new coaches fast enough for Greyhound's needs (ADA compliance, perhaps?)

• 3 months later...

Not so, traildriver. I'm at Greyhound as a operator. That new Vanhool has been around. Was seen in Pittsburgh, Columbus, Indianapolis, and other locations. Pretty much, it's a spare bus when needed.

As for the backlog, the backlog is also to check the buses. We received new buses months before I started and we already had failures. I had a minor bus fire in Baltimore on a Prevost: one of the belt was frayed and broke, which caused my air compressor to seize up and had a fire. I stopped in time because I knew something wasn't right. Also, some of the buses have Regen errors, as well as other small issues. Personally, I'll drive anything that GLI has, as long as I'm trained. I haven't been trained on the Van Hool's yet and can't take them out until I get a full break down, in case a situation arises. I like the older buses than the newer ones for some reason. Gimme a white 102D3 (No DL3 since all the L's are refurbed now) and I'll be in dog heaven. Seriously, they run better than the refurb. I just hate it when people whine about no wifi or outlets. What's more important, getting to where you get to go or getting to post something on instagram? seriously....

Archived