2012 MTA Ridership Stats

BrooklynIRT

The M2, that whole drop I am 100% convinced is due to the insane headways. I see it myself: all it takes is one bus running late and it's 30-35 minutes waiting for a bus, if not more. So nobody waits for it, and they just grab the local. It's bullsh!t that the MTA switches around services levels for the 5th Ave buses, cause generally the number of riders isn't shifting intentionally, it's usually a random decision that a rider will make to take the next bus they see cause they're sick of waiting...never a conscious change in service. But some guy in planning looks at the numbers and says 'Cut the service!' and we all lose, cause now even more people give up and take the local, and the numbers dip even more, and it gets even worse. It's ridiculous, and I'm so sick of waiting an hour for a bus that used to be no more than a ten-fifteen minute wait ten years ago! The M5 and M104 were just dumb decisions, simple as that. Nobody commuting from Upper West or Harlem is going to 41st and 7th; hell, no New Yorker is taking the bus straight to Times Square, and yet they send the 104 there, when it comes from non-touristy neighborhoods. More dumb planning.

My sentiments exactly regarding the M104... In fact I get irritated every time I'm stuck in that damn tourist trap and I refuse to wait with bags and such for a crowded, unreliable M42, so I just take a side street and walk to where I need to go... As for the M2, I agree with as well.  I just can't understand why it gets caught in so much traffic compared to the locals... Even when it had better headways it was the same thing, especially coming down 5th, but I haven't used 5th Avenue buses aside from the M5 now in ages and I only use the M5 on weekends to help me get over to the East Side. I almost feel as if somebody is dragging the line because the M3 and M4 come from much further than the M2 and they run LOCAL yet they are more reliable than the M2...  Now with the way the M2 is set up, you're better off taking the local because sadly they are faster.  It's either they're stuck in traffic, or they short turn them and send them back up Madison... Can't wait for Bus Time to come to the city because some lines definitely need it to solve these "mysteries"...  <_<

Simple if M42 was improved this would be a non issue.

Um... No...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sentiments exactly regarding the M104... In fact I get irritated every time I'm stuck in that damn tourist trap and I refuse to wait with bags and such for a crowded, unreliable M42, so I just take a side street and walk to where I need to go... As for the M2, I agree with as well. I just can't understand why it gets caught in so much traffic compared to the locals... Even when it had better headways it was the same thing, especially coming down 5th, but I haven't used 5th Avenue buses aside from the M5 now in ages and I only use the M5 on weekends to help me get over to the East Side. I almost feel as if somebody is dragging the line because the M3 and M4 come from much further than the M2 and they run LOCAL yet they are more reliable than the M2... Now with the way the M2 is set up, you're better off taking the local because sadly they are faster. It's either they're stuck in traffic, or they short turn them and send them back up Madison... Can't wait for Bus Time to come to the city because some lines definitely need it to solve these "mysteries"... <_<

Um... No...

You just want to run away from the fact that the M42 has problems that need fixing so you hide behind M104 when in reality 42nd street waits are M42 problems that need addressing more than making the M104 unreliable again. If M42 was enhanced and with artics your waits would drop big time another bus is not going to solve the M42's problems.

You just want to run away from the fact that the M42 has problems that need fixing so you hide behind M104 when in reality 42nd street waits are M42 problems that need addressing more than making the M104 unreliable again.

Last I checked, the M42 doesn't provide folks access from the Upper West Side to the East Side... The M104 did...

Last I checked, the M42 doesn't provide folks access from the Upper West Side to the East Side... The M104 did...

Again that is not a problem people seriously wanting that will use the (1) that bus is just a secondary option for those not in a rush. If you had better M42 service you would have timed links to M104 & (1) if you need to get somewhere in a hurry M104 is not for you. Now it is more reliable than ever and you want to eff it up cmon man.

Again that is not a problem people seriously wanting that will use the (1) that bus is just a secondary option for those not in a rush. If you had better M42 service you would have timed links to M104 & (1) if you need to get somewhere in a hurry M104 is not for you. Now it is more reliable than ever and you want to eff it up cmon man.

I know it is because you use buses sooo much...  <_<

Yeah, it's more reliable than ever and more useless than ever too. Not to mention, it used to get you to the East Side minus the crowds of the 42nd St shuttle if you were carrying a lot and it was an option whenever the 1/2/3 got messed up (which, trust me, is frequently).

A few comments

1. The Q44 makes another substantial jump in ridership. I wonder what is causing the increases on that route.

2. S53 marks an SI milestone becoming the first route to break the 10,000 per weekday barrier 

3. Bx12/M15 +SBS could use  service increases to go along with their increase in ridership.

4. The +SBS routes should have a separate count for local and +SBS riders. It should be told how many riders go for each variant.

5. I like that they actually did full borough totals. 

Just a personal thing, but it's always miffed me that they present the data using a static table. At the very least, MTA could use a table with options to sort by column, or provide the data in a downloadable spreadsheet format.

Interesting to note that the Q43 had an increase of 0.0% :P

In Annual Ridership terms, these are the buses with the greatest changes in each borough

Brooklyn: B48 with a 16% decrease in ridership

Bronx: Bx24 with a 32.2% increase in ridership

Manhattan: M106 with a 17.4% increase in ridership

Queens: Q42 with a 5.8% decrease in ridership

Staten Island: S42 with a 11.9% decrease in ridership

Staten Island X: X2 with a 6.4% increase in ridership

Brooklyn X: X27 with a 5.2% percent increase in ridership

Queens X: X63 with a 3.2 decrease in ridership

Brooklyn BM: BM3 with a 9.6% decrease in ridership

Queens QM: QM3 with a 7.6% increase in ridership

Bronx BxM: BxM3 with a 2.5% increase in ridership

Brooklyn CO: B103 with a 14.4% increase in ridership

Bronx CO: Bx23 with a 5.6% decrease in ridership

Queens CO: Q11 with a 20.1% decrease in ridership

In Annual Ridership terms, these are the buses with the greatest changes in each borough

Brooklyn: B48 with a 16% decrease in ridership

Bronx: Bx24 with a 32.2% increase in ridership

Manhattan: M106 with a 17.4% increase in ridership

Queens: Q42 with a 5.8% decrease in ridership

Staten Island: S42 with a 11.9% decrease in ridership

Staten Island X: X2 with a 6.4% increase in ridership

Brooklyn X: X27 with a 5.2% percent increase in ridership

Queens X: X63 with a 3.2 decrease in ridership

Brooklyn BM: BM3 with a 9.6% decrease in ridership

Queens QM: QM3 with a 7.6% increase in ridership

Bronx BxM: BxM3 with a 2.5% increase in ridership

Brooklyn CO: B103 with a 14.4% increase in ridership

Bronx CO: Bx23 with a 5.6% decrease in ridership

Queens CO: Q11 with a 20.1% decrease in ridership

Well running like crap south of rockaway blvd won't help ridership so Q11 doesn't surprise me. BM3 I guess service cuts and people switching to the (B) and (Q) plays a role in this. Bx24 can safely be called a success. S42 err what did you expect it was raped horribly. X63 well 3.2% is not much.

The Lex decreases I firmly believe are due to the sh!t service Tuskegee put out last year. Ops with no bus to pull out, breakdowns, the lot. When service gets bad, people lose faith and stop taking the bus, something that the MTA doesn't seem to grasp when it cuts and cuts. That should be a little better now that TU's got a new fleet, however. Have to wait and see. Interesting numbers on the whole.

Fully agree. I've tried to take those buses because they happen to be convenient for me, and they just never show up, so I gave up on them. 

Well running like crap south of rockaway blvd won't help ridership so Q11 doesn't surprise me. BM3 I guess service cuts and people switching to the (B) and (Q) plays a role in this. Bx24 can safely be called a success. S42 err what did you expect it was raped horribly. X63 well 3.2% is not much.

I forget. When was the Bx24 extended to Westchester Square? (Because if it was in 2012 or late 2011, there's your explanation). Ridership increased, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a success if ridership is still low. (Especially if you had to spend money to obtain the increase in ridership)

I forget. When was the Bx24 extended to Westchester Square? (Because if it was in 2012 or late 2011, there's your explanation). 

Definitely wasn't in 2011..... That extension happened sometime in march or april of last year.....

..So basically, I wouldn't put much stock into all this stuff about "Oh, ridership on the B46 is decreasing", because those aren't the official numbers.

I tend to go by what I notice with my own two eyes, myself.... If I notice a significant enough change on either end of the spectrum when seeing these buses out & about, I'll make a talking point out of it if I feel compelled enough to do so.... The number % is rather meaningless to me (I don't pay any attention to the % change anyway).....

Despite the crap the MTA calls "service" on the BM5, ridership went up by a good percentage. Thats wierd.

Someone on here (in another thread) brought up that BM5 usage along Woodhaven has increased... If that's the case or not though, I'm not exactly sure.... I mean, I don't see a reason why the Brooklyn ridership on the BM5 would increase "by a good percentage".....

Interesting that the S55 saw an increase in ridership. I do believe the S56 could see an increase as well if they fixed the line by rerouting it to Charleston.

I'm really surprised to see that the S57 has seen a large jump in ridership...10%!!!

I have this weird feeling that the Q52 will be in top 10 soon

....of what?

Top 10 in Queens (nyct & mtabus) or top 10 overall (5 boroughs, nyct & mtabus)?

I have a theory as to what I think the future of the 52/53 will be... nothing "doom & gloom" based....

I won't go as far as to say top 10 of anything, but I do think the ridership #'s of the 52 will end up trumping that of the 53 in the next decade or so....

....of what?

Top 10 in Queens (nyct & mtabus) or top 10 overall (5 boroughs, nyct & mtabus)?

I have a theory as to what I think the future of the 52/53 will be... nothing "doom & gloom" based....

I won't go as far as to say top 10 of anything, but I do think the ridership #'s of the 52 will end up trumping that of the 53 in the next decade or so....

Top 10 of Queens. I should have been more specific.

Interesting that the S55 saw an increase in ridership. I do believe the S56 could see an increase as well if they fixed the line by rerouting it to Charleston.

I'm really surprised to see that the S57 has seen a large jump in ridership...10%!!!

I wouldn't be shocked by the S57... Remember no S54 weekend service...

I wouldn't be shocked by the S57... Remember no S54 weekend service...

There was a 10.6% increase on the weekdays too. The weekend increase was only 7.6%.

Not to mention that the S54 hasn't run weekends since 2010, and from 2010-2011, ridership decreased according to those numbers (which again, I guarantee aren't the official numbers), despite it taking on some former S54 riders. If anything, that was when ridership should've increased, not this year.

If that's actually the case that S57 ridership is increasing, then that's obviously very good, and I hope that it's part of a larger trend. (Maybe BusTime might've had something to do with it, come to think about it. The S57 is infrequent, so it's important to know if the bus got stuck in traffic in the Greenbelt, or went MIA or something)

What made S55 jump so much though?

Yeah, it's more reliable than ever and more useless than ever too. Not to mention, it used to get you to the East Side minus the crowds of the 42nd St shuttle if you were carrying a lot and it was an option whenever the 1/2/3 got messed up (which, trust me, is frequently).

you know what stop running away from 42nd street's problem. Here is a bright idea add artics to M42 and increase service at periods of extreme ridership problem solved.

I have this weird feeling that the Q52 will be in top 10 soon

whoops, accidental downvote. If Woodhaven gets SBS (which will probably be studied - some SBS promotional materials have had a photoshopped picture of Woodhaven with median-running buses), 52/53 ridership will jump even further. (Personally, I think they should be counted as the same route, since it shares so much routing with the 53, just as the Bx40/42 do.)

What made S55 jump so much though?

you know what stop running away from 42nd street's problem. Here is a bright idea add artics to M42 and increase service at periods of extreme ridership problem solved.

You seriously need to stop getting so nasty with proposals you don't like. The former M104 routing complements the M42 like the Q33 complements the Q32 - one is expressly designed for longer-distance riding, and the other serves short trips on the corridors. If there was no demand for a one-seat ride, we'd be seeing more people using the (1) and the (7), instead of using bus travel, which is significantly slower. In an ideal world, we'd have both a M104 restoration and a M42 service increase, but this ain't that world.

whoops, accidental downvote. If Woodhaven gets SBS (which will probably be studied - some SBS promotional materials have had a photoshopped picture of Woodhaven with median-running buses), 52/53 ridership will jump even further. (Personally, I think they should be counted as the same route, since it shares so much routing with the 53, just as the Bx40/42 do.)

You seriously need to stop getting so nasty with proposals you don't like. The former M104 routing complements the M42 like the Q33 complements the Q32 - one is expressly designed for longer-distance riding, and the other serves short trips on the corridors. If there was no demand for a one-seat ride, we'd be seeing more people using the (1) and the (7), instead of using bus travel, which is significantly slower. In an ideal world, we'd have both a M104 restoration and a M42 service increase, but this ain't that world.

Median routing? for Q52/53 it would have to go all out artic mode. Ok then what about an HOV bus lane to prevent M104 from getting slowed down? When it ran all the way there it was useless due to extreme unreliability it was so bad you were better off with (1) to M50 or (2)(3) to (S) then M42 which showed up a bit more. Yes M104 extention is needed but if it's never on-time what is the point? It's useless if you do useless if you don't.

Archived