Countdown clocks on the 7 line !

Transitboy

Sorry if im reviving a kinda old thread but i spotted a count down clock at main st flushing

Lol it's all good, but does anyone know of any other stations that might have these clocks? Does the clocks at main street look new? They arent on im guessing tho

Seeing the picture I don't really understand how this countdown clock work, more exactly I don't where and what are exactly the informations it provides.

I am a bit lost.  :wacko:

The 3 grey bars represent the direction of travel/tracks. The purple rectangles are the platforms for that particular station.

Today getting off the (7) train at 42nd times square i noticed the station had several new clocks that resemble the ones on the (1) , (2) , (3) , (4) , (5) , and (6) trains. They were also still wrapped up, anyone else notice em too?

I thought it was somehow "illegal" to install any more countdown clocks anywhere. (The obstacle can't posssibly be technological, since they already exist on the (1) , (2) , (3) , (4) , (5) , (6), (L). Therefore, it must be a legal problem, right?)

I thought it was somehow "illegal" to install any more countdown clocks anywhere. (The obstacle can't posssibly be technological, since they already exist on the (1) , (2) , (3) , (4) , (5) , (6), (L). Therefore, it must be a legal problem, right?)

Nope, it's technological. The IRT lines and the (L) have compatible signalling, and the (7) is being converted to CBTC.

The issue with B Division lines is that with the exception of the (7) and (L), there's a lot of interlining, so any sort of countdown system would need to take all this massive complexity into account. I don't think it's been done before on this scale. I also don't think it's possible to jury rig the countdown clocks to the signals in the way that was done on the IRT (which doesn't actually have true countdown clocks, in any case)

The 3 grey bars represent the direction of travel/tracks. The purple rectangles are the platforms for that particular station.

Thank you, this is not so easy to guess.

I think I lack of one information, the area where is located this countdown clock.

And it has an animation on it 

Nice, informations are more understandable in this picture than in the previous one.

Don't forget that too much informations kill the information, I think they should only show the necessary (line name, destination, type of train and waiting time).
Much more complicated stuff is a bit a waste of money in my opinion.

Nice, informations are more understandable in this picture than in the previous one.

Don't forget that too much informations kill the information, I think they should only show the necessary (line name, destination, type of train and waiting time).
Much more complicated stuff is a bit a waste of money in my opinion.

I, for one, would love to have maximum information content, because sometimes people do wonder…

• When can I tell my friend/boss that I will be arriving?
  • Should I take this train or wait for the next one that is express?
  • Do I have enough time to do a few more things before the train comes? (This is much more useful if the MTA can extend this information to smartphones via public interfaces over the internet.)

Archived