M line service change question

Sam

M.png No trains between 47-50 Sts and 71 Av 

E.png F.png R.png trains provide alternate service 
Late Evenings, 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM, Mon to Thu, Apr 8 - 11 

M.png Service operates between Metropolitan Av and 47-50 Sts, and via the F.png to/from 57 St

E.png trains provide alternate service at 5 Av/53 St and Lexington Av/53 St
R.png trains make all M.png stops between Queens Plaza and 71 Av
E.png F.png trains make local stops between Roosevelt Av and 71 Av

• Transfer between E.png and M.png trains at W 4 St. 
• Transfer between M.png and R.png trains at 34 St-Herald Sq. 
• Transfer between F.png and M.png trains at 57 St. 

Alternate travel note: 
7.png trains provide alternate service at Court Sq. 

Reminder: Late night M.png service operates between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle Av.

If the E.png and R.png are running as normal, why are M.png trains terminating at 57th Street? Why not run the M.png through East 63rd Street to Continental?

Guest Lance

If I had to guess, they're doing work on the connection between 6th Avenue and 53rd Street. Plus, with the E and F running local east of Roosevelt Av, they probably don't want four locals on Queens Blvd. Sending the M to 57 St/6 Av solves that problem without cutting service on 6th Avenue.

If I had to guess, they're doing work on the connection between 6th Avenue and 53rd Street. Plus, with the E and F running local east of Roosevelt Av, they probably don't want four locals on Queens Blvd. Sending the M to 57 St/6 Av solves that problem without cutting service on 6th Avenue.

That they are doing..

Maybe they can also figure out why those signals are acting stupid...

B2 track North of 47th 50 into 5th ave on D4 Track....

So it's not just me!

There's a timer there, and sometimes it seems like it doesn't start. An M train will get stopped way before it needs to stop to keep D4 clear for a passing E - In fact It stops so far back it blocks the switch, so the F train behind gets stuck in Rock Ctr and everything gets jammed up the way down the line. 

Been happening less lately, but I've been wondering if this is a signal malfunction or just poor planning. 

So it's not just me!

There's a timer there, and sometimes it seems like it doesn't start. An M train will get stopped way before it needs to stop to keep D4 clear for a passing E - In fact It stops so far back it blocks the switch, so the F train behind gets stuck in Rock Ctr and everything gets jammed up the way down the line. 

Been happening less lately, but I've been wondering if this is a signal malfunction or just poor planning. 

Its more of the one who wired those signals  messed up.. D4 1134 and 1135 at Fifth ave station queens bound have been tripping  (E) cho trains for a while now....

To me, this would be a perfect chance to experiment with having the (M) go to 145th with the (B) or 168th with the (C).  It would be roughly the same distance I would think to 71st-Continental.  That's something I would look at in the future if you have multiple G.O.s on the same weekend where the (C) and (L) are both out and the (E) has to run express on 8th Avenue.

To me, this would be a perfect chance to experiment with having the (M) go to 145th with the (B) or 168th with the (C).  It would be roughly the same distance I would think to 71st-Continental.  That's something I would look at in the future if you have multiple G.O.s on the same weekend where the (C) and (L) are both out and the (E) has to run express on 8th Avenue.

NO! NO! NO! It's not an option to be considered. Why extend the (M) all the way to 145 or 168 other than the reason to foam. (B) weekend service I believe is needed on top of the weekend (C). What you're doing is highly illogical, why convert a weekend Shuttle to a train to Washington Heights just because one of the CPW trains aren't running. Just run service the way they are.

You must have missed the part where it said "Late Evenings".

Heres yer Answer..

NO!

Oh BTW get back to me when you figure out where to lay up the trains....

You must have missed the part where it said "Late Evenings".

I also said it would be an experiment with an eye to the future and a situation where there are multiple G.O.s on the same weekend involving the (C) and (L).

And yes, I agree the (B) needs to be run on weekends as does the (M) to 71-Continental (the latter I can see happening in a few years when a new project at the old Domino Sugar plant in Williamsburg comes fully on-line as by then, it may very well be needed).

Your opinion shouldn't be a base for negative reputation. Fixed it for you.

Guest MTA Bus

To me, this would be a perfect chance to experiment with having the (M) go to 145th with the (B) or 168th with the (C). It would be roughly the same distance I would think to 71st-Continental. That's something I would look at in the future if you have multiple G.O.s on the same weekend where the (C) and (L) are both out and the (E) has to run express on 8th Avenue.

Stop trying to sent the (M) to 145th. It doesn't need to go uptown.

M.png No trains between 47-50 Sts and 71 Av 

E.png F.png R.png trains provide alternate service 

Late Evenings, 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM, Mon to Thu, Apr 8 - 11 

M.png Service operates between Metropolitan Av and 47-50 Sts, and via the F.png to/from 57 St

E.png trains provide alternate service at 5 Av/53 St and Lexington Av/53 St

R.png trains make all M.png stops between Queens Plaza and 71 Av

E.png F.png trains make local stops between Roosevelt Av and 71 Av

• Transfer between E.png and M.png trains at W 4 St. 

• Transfer between M.png and R.png trains at 34 St-Herald Sq. 

• Transfer between F.png and M.png trains at 57 St. 

Alternate travel note: 

7.png trains provide alternate service at Court Sq. 

Reminder: Late night M.png service operates between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle Av.

If the E.png and R.png are running as normal, why are M.png trains terminating at 57th Street? Why not run the M.png through East 63rd Street to Continental?

It looks like the express tracks between Roosevelt and Continental are being shut down for a late night GO starting at an unusually early time. Discharging the R at Continental on the same track as through E and F trains is already pretty hairy; the M is probably being cut back in Manhattan so that it doesn't also have to be discharged at the same location.

Archived