MTA Regional Bus Operations Planned/Permanent Service Changes Thread

Since the MTA plans service changes on bus routes as well, and since we dont have on thread for it, I made this thread. Post all Planned/Permanent Service Chages Here. 

________________________________________________________________________________________

So remember when I said that the QM3 might be losing stops in Jackson Heights and Corona? Well it's now official

I found this on the Q38

IMG_20130404_151613_zpsc2b043a4.jpg

Some Q65 LTD stops will also be discontinued, effective April 15th

Oh, and the Bx46 will start service on Sunday

Bx46 New bus route in Hunts Point 

Beginning, Sunday, Apr 7 

Buses will serve Hunts Point via Longwood Av. 

The Bx46 bus route will begin operation in the South Bronx.  Buses 
will connect the growing employment center of Hunts Point, including 
the Hunts Point Market, and previously unserved residential areas with 
the 2.png5.png trains at Prospect Avenue and the 6.png train at Longwood 
Avenue Stations. 

Buses will operate on Longwood Av, Tiffany St, Viele Av, Halleck St 
Ryawa Av and Food Center Drive. 

Operating hours   Weekdays Saturdays and Sundays Eastbound: 5:30 AM to 11:30 PM 8:30 AM to 10:30 PM Westbound: 6 AM to 12 midnight 9 AM to 11 PM

Schedule  |  pdf 

Eastbound Bus Stops 

• Prospect Av at Westchester Av 
• Longwood Av at Kelly St, Southern Blvd, Barry and Truxton Sts 
• Tiffany St at Randall and Oak Point Avs 
• Viele Av at Casanova, Manida, Faile and Whittier Sts 
• Ryawa Av at Halleck St 
• Food Center Dr at Farragut St, Hunts Point Market and Market St 

Westbound Bus Stops 

• Food Center Dr at Market St 
• Halleck St at Viele Av 
• Viele Av at Whittier St, Faile, Manida and Casanova Sts 
• Tiffany St at Oak Point and Randall Avs 
• Longwood Av at Tiffany, Barry Sts, Southern Blvd and Dawson St 
• Prospect Av at Westchester Av 

I don't see much of a purpose in this thread. For changes like the Bx46, we have seperate threads for that. But then again, the MTA never gave any advance notice of the QM3 change (it wasn't in those monthly meetings), nor changes like the recent S59/89 change at the ETC, so I'm torn on it.

No, they're discontinuing a couple of the limited stops north of Flushing. So it'll be a little more limited than it is now, if you want to think of it that way.

However those are the only two limited stops north of flushing, so I guess they might run the Q65 non stop from College Point to Flushing (highly doubt it, but could be a possiblity).

No, they're discontinuing a couple of the limited stops north of Flushing. So it'll be a little more limited than it is now, if you want to think of it that way.

That's what I said. It will be local north of Flushing.

No, it'll be limited north of Flushing, and skip two more stops than it does now.

But then why does it say Q65 local will continue to serve these stops?

Because it'll be an alternative for the people at the stop. The local still serve the stop, the limited will skip it.

However those are the only two limited stops north of flushing, so I guess they might run the Q65 non stop from College Point to Flushing (highly doubt it, but could be a possiblity).

I'm not seeing what's so confusing.

Right now, the Q65 LTD stops at Roosevelt Avenue, Whitestone Expwy, 31st Avenue, 28th Avenue, 26th Avenue, 25th Road, and then continues making all local stops. (It goes local north of the Whitestone)

Instead, the Q65 LTD will stop at Roosevelt Avenue, 31st Avenue, 28th Avenue, 25th Road, and then make all local stops to College Point. So instead of ending LTD service at Whitestone, it'll end it at 25th Road.

So the Bx46 is gonna operate on longwood ave,tiffany street,veile ave, halleck streets,ryawa avenue and food center drive.and to prospect ave. Serving huntspoint. Hope y'all find this interesting.coming soon.

- I'm not sure why they're getting rid of the 82nd st stop; of the times I've rode the QM3, I don't think I've ever seen anyone get off the 87th st stop (which is one of the two stops they're keeping)..... Getting rid of the 114th st stop I can understand.....

Basically what I'm saying is, they should've kept the 72nd & 82nd st stop & gotten rid of the stops after 82nd st (which is 87th & 114th).....

-------------------------------------

Guess I'll chime in on this:

However those are the only two limited stops north of flushing, so I guess they might run the Q65 non stop from College Point to Flushing

(highly doubt it, but could be a possiblity).

But then why does it say Q65 local will continue to serve these stops?

- Fellas.... Guys... famms.... Lol....

They're having the Q65 LTD make LESS stops b/w college point & flushing, that's all...

Localizing has nothing to do with any of this.... Adding MORE stops to a route would make it more "local".

Having the Q65 LTD make less stops north of flushing isn't gonna make the [Q65 LTD] local north of flushing...

North of the Whitestone (expwy), the Q65 LTD already makes the same stops as the Q65 locals.....

In other words, this change'll bring college point patrons to/from flushing, etc. quicker - There's nothing to "guess" at here....

For the most part, where the residential portion of the southern part of college point (the neighborhood) ends, is where buses will run nonstop to flushing, etc.... It's gonna skip the immediate area around CP depot & all the other industrial areas south of 25th/26th en route to Main st..... Q65 locals will continue to serve that immediate industrial portion of the route...

- I'm not sure why they're getting rid of the 82nd st stop; of the times I've rode the QM3, I don't think I've ever seen anyone get off the 87th st stop (which is one of the two stops they're keeping)..... Getting rid of the 114th st stop I can understand.....

Basically what I'm saying is, they should've kept the 72nd & 82nd st stop & gotten rid of the stops after 82nd st (which is 87th & 114th).....

-------------------------------------

Guess I'll chime in on this:

- Fellas.... Guys... famms.... Lol....

They're having the Q65 LTD make LESS stops b/w college point & flushing, that's all...

Localizing has nothing to do with any of this.... Adding MORE stops to a route would make it more "local".

Having the Q65 LTD make less stops north of flushing isn't gonna make the [Q65 LTD] local north of flushing...

North of the Whitestone (expwy), the Q65 LTD already makes the same stops as the Q65 locals.....

In other words, this change'll bring college point patrons to/from flushing, etc. quicker - There's nothing to "guess" at here....

For the most part, where the residential portion of the southern part of college point (the neighborhood) ends, is where buses will run nonstop to flushing, etc.... It's gonna skip the immediate area around CP depot & all the other industrial areas south of 25th/26th en route to Main st..... Q65 locals will continue to serve that immediate industrial portion of the route...

Now I understand,..........

Heres another change that starts next week

QM12 route adjustment and bus stop change in Middle Village 

All times 

Buses are being rerouted from Metropolitan Av to Woodhaven 
Blvd to provide more reliable service by avoiding traffic congestion. 

Customers traveling to/from 6 Av in Midtown, have the option of taking 
the QM15, stopping on Woodhaven Blvd at Metropolitan Av.  The 6 Av 
QM12 and QM15 branches make similar stops in Manhattan. 

Discontinued Bus Stop 
Eastbound/Westbound:  Metropolitan Av at Woodhaven Blvd. 

New Bus Stop 
Eastbound/Westbound:  Trotting Course Ln at Alderton St. 

I'm a bit confused with this reroute, They want it to avoid traffic on the section, but why not reroute it up Alderton Street to Yellowstone

Some Data:

Current distance with current QM12 route from Metropolitan Avenue and 69 Avenue to Yellowstone Blvd and Alderton Street:
0.5 miles, about 6 minutes on the bus  

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Metropolitan+Ave&daddr=40.7134321,-73.8595392+to:Yellowstone+Blvd&hl=en&ll=40.714688,-73.850591&spn=0.011369,0.026157&sll=40.716721,-73.85278&sspn=0.011368,0.026157&geocode=FV80bQIdCAyZ-w%3BFdg8bQIdLf6Y-ylXNpMCFF7CiTFqEzc1EC_IRw%3BFU9EbQIdWAKZ-w&oq=f&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=16&via=1&t=m&z=16

The future bus route distance from the same two points:

0.4 miles, about 4 minutes                                                                                                                                                https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Metropolitan+Ave&daddr=40.7125417,-73.8592191+to:Yellowstone+Blvd&hl=en&sll=40.713029,-73.849261&sspn=0.011369,0.026157&geocode=FV00bQIdGAyZ-w%3BFV05bQIdbf-Y-yl_OkJUEV7CiTEfvAbJpYQn2A%3BFU9EbQIdWAKZ-w&oq=m&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1&t=m&z=16

My routing from the same two points

0.4 miles, about 2 minutes

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Metropolitan+Ave&daddr=40.7128352,-73.8583143+to:40.713587,-73.858391+to:Yellowstone+Blvd&hl=en&ll=40.710581,-73.856106&spn=0.005685,0.013078&sll=40.713224,-73.858799&sspn=0.005684,0.013078&geocode=FV00bQIdGAyZ-w%3BFYM6bQId9gKZ-ykBlem0Fl7CiTFxwub-msUlTQ%3BFXM9bQIdqQKZ-ykBlem0Fl7CiTFxwub-msUlTQ%3BFU9EbQIdWAKZ-w&oq=m&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=17&via=1,2&t=m&z=17

Hell, I can even see the MTA sending the Q23 through the mini mall to avoid the turning onto Woodhaven Blvd at Metropolitan Avenue, because at the woodhaven blvd entrance, the light always is for 73rd Avenue (something the MTA would favor). 

This is a diagram of what I'm saying 

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Forest+Hills,+71st+Avenue,+Queens,+NY&daddr=40.7210842,-73.8473059+to:40.7202743,-73.8508812+to:40.7186148,-73.8510805+to:40.7135793,-73.8520718+to:40.71169,-73.8501271+to:40.7104363,-73.858964+to:Union+Turnpike+to:40.7078118,-73.8511949+to:40.7148812,-73.8534488+to:40.7196759,-73.8505285+to:40.7220834,-73.8533013+to:71st+Ave%2FContinental+Ave&hl=en&ll=40.714053,-73.853145&spn=0.022738,0.052314&sll=40.718933,-73.848939&sspn=0.011368,0.026157&geocode=FdJUbQIdtjeZ-yl1cF3fIF7CiTGMKDlSf3ntfQ%3BFbxabQId9y2Z-yn9pr2rJl7CiTFQRWwwNJcMVQ%3BFZJXbQId_x-Z-ym5_GZyI17CiTEaBy5GLqvo4Q%3BFRZRbQIdOB-Z-ymrh3b6Il7CiTE-jx-CDSh0FQ%3BFWs9bQIdWRuZ-ylTmFLOGV7CiTE4fb11OB9ylQ%3BFQo2bQId8SKZ-ym7QJJ8GV7CiTHtPx6UuD5vfw%3BFSQxbQIdbACZ-ymriAZ5EV7CiTHliH4lAKoyew%3BFcAebQId9gSZ-w%3BFeMmbQIdxh6Z-yl1G8jGGl7CiTEv8SjHmI221g%3BFYFCbQId-BWZ-ymRnMs1GF7CiTGBG81f4WBzMg%3BFTtVbQIdYCGZ-ymZhOamI17CiTF63bSOb7pO1w%3BFaNebQIdixaZ-ylvJguvJF7CiTHRZ9rD450ZYw%3BFd9WbQIdlzeZ-w&oq=Fore&mra=dvme&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11&t=m&z=15

It has the potential, but the MTA and it's close alternatives would totally "stop" the plan.

Complete BS. Close alternatives my ass. Unless the Q27 gets extended to the Conduits or LIRR Rosedale, then I'd understand.

Complete BS. Close alternatives my ass. Unless the Q27 gets extended to the Conduits or LIRR Rosedale, then I'd understand.

I'm not disagreeing to this, just stated that the MTA always has an excuse for everything and thats one. Yes the Q77 serves a vital part of Queens, but I'm just stating, the MTA does seem to say the usual "alternatives' thing for any proposal.

The Q76 and Q77 serve Francis Lewis Blvd together. The reason why the Q76 got weekend service back was because the 76 is a route with not that many North-South Buses alongside together, while the Q77 has a variety of alternatives, more than the Q76. As for Sunday Service along Springfield Blvd, I'd let a branch of the Q84 do that on Sundays.

I'm not disagreeing to this, just stated that the MTA always has an excuse for everything and thats one. Yes the Q77 serves a vital part of Queens, but I'm just stating, the MTA does seem to say the usual "alternatives' thing for any proposal.

The Q76 and Q77 serve Francis Lewis Blvd together. The reason why the Q76 got weekend service back was because the 76 is a route with not that many North-South Buses alongside together, while the Q77 has a variety of alternatives, more than the Q76. As for Sunday Service along Springfield Blvd, I'd let a branch of the Q84 do that on Sundays.

Would you let the 84 still serve 238 St?

They serve Hillside Ave together. They split at Francis Lewis. The Q76 heads north of Hillside, the Q77 heads south. There are a lot of alternatives for the Q77 but they're only as useful if you live where the route intersects, and if you're willing to walk where there's no service coverage. One of the biggest gaps between transfers is from Springfield to Merrick, and then from Merrick to 140th.

Would you let the 84 still serve 238 St?

Yes. It would be split headways between 238 and 145 rd

They serve Hillside Ave together. They split at Francis Lewis. The Q76 heads north of Hillside, the Q77 heads south. There are a lot of alternatives for the Q77 but they're only as useful if you live where the route intersects, and if you're willing to walk where there's no service coverage. One of the biggest gaps between transfers is from Springfield to Merrick, and then from Merrick to 140th.

Thats why I suggested a Q84 branch to operate the lower portion of the Q77 route sundays.

Yes. It would be split headways between 238 and 145 rd

Thats why I suggested a Q84 branch to operate the lower portion of the Q77 route sundays.

HEHE I know a sneaky way to improve ridership and service on Q77 in 2 phases. But I have school I will be back in full to avoid arguments and confusion.

Archived