Beggars and annoyances on the subway

nyctransit

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More with this whole "scam vs legitimate begger" stuff. If you're begging for money, it's because you need money. It doesn't matter who you are or where you came from, nobody is going to be begging on the street or trains if they don't need the money. However, many of you want to judge the person and decide for yourselves if you think they really need the $ or not, so they'll have a harder time getting it if they don't dress down. Most of us instead go out and get real jobs, but even so most of us KEEP those jobs because we need the paycheck too. How is begging for a living any different?

The one who pisses me off the most is this woman who is sometimes hanging out on my street who always asks if I can give her a dollar, meanwhile she's standing there smoking. I don't even answer her but I always think "for what? so you can buy more cigarettes?"

I am not and have never been homeless, but I know people who are today and trying to making a living. Sometimes, it can be annoying when people ask for money in the subway, but that's how they get by especially in this economy. Whenever, I carry money on me, I try to give when I can, but if I don't have, then I don't have. 

As Snowblock said, most of us judge the person, but think for a second if we were in their shoes. If I were homeless, I would want people to give even it is very little and not be judged as a scammer. 

More with this whole "scam vs legitimate begger" stuff. If you're begging for money, it's because you need money. It doesn't matter who you are or where you came from, nobody is going to be begging on the street or trains if they don't need the money. However, many of you want to judge the person and decide for yourselves if you think they really need the $ or not, so they'll have a harder time getting it if they don't dress down. Most of us instead go out and get real jobs, but even so most of us KEEP those jobs because we need the paycheck too. How is begging for a living any different?

The one who pisses me off the most is this woman who is sometimes hanging out on my street who always asks if I can give her a dollar, meanwhile she's standing there smoking. I don't even answer her but I always think "for what? so you can buy more cigarettes?"

I am not and have never been homeless, but I know people who are today and trying to making a living. Sometimes, it can be annoying when people ask for money in the subway, but that's how they get by especially in this economy. Whenever, I carry money on me, I try to give when I can, but if I don't have, then I don't have. 

As Snowblock said, most of us judge the person, but think for a second if we were in their shoes. If I were homeless, I would want people to give even it is very little and not be judged as a scammer. 

Oh boy... The two of you can spare me with the pity routine... I know a lot of these folks are SCAMMERS and I refuse to be taken for a ride just because some people think we should have pity for ANYONE begging.  That's ridiculous. What's disgusting is these scammers are making it hard for those who are legitimately in need.  What do you think that no one else is struggling?? A lot of people are out here just making ends meet and their hard earned money should not be given to scammers just looking to get a quick fix or whatever they're up to. 

A lot of people already donate to charities to help those who are less fortunate and I think that's good enough.  

When I know for sure that they're scamming... I'll be a sucker... But only once...  <_<

The hell is this, the cryptic VG8 sixth sense of scamming? Sorry to do this to be Biggie, but: if you don't know, then don't know...

The hell is this, the cryptic VG8 sixth sense of scamming? Sorry to do this to be Biggie, but: if you don't know, then don't know...

LOL... Listen anyone with street smarts and who has been around like I have knows when someone is scamming and usually what I do is play along with the game to see if they'll take the bait. If someone is REALLY destitute, then if I offer to take you and BUY you food, you'll come along and won't continue to ask for money... I've done that on a few occasions... This guy in Williamsburg... Latino guy... He approaches me for some money for food late at night... I brush him off at first, then he gives me a whole song and dance so I'm okay fine... I take him to a nearby diner (one of the few places open that late at night), give the lady cash and tell her to let him get what he wants... Now the guy hugged me and thanked me.  On the other hand I've offered so called "destitute" people to take them to Whole Foods and get them food and they're like oh no I'm going the other way.  Bullsh*t... If you're hungry and someone is offering you free food (and not just some garbage, but GOOD stuff) and letting YOU pick out what you want, you don't turn around and claim that you're heading the other way.... Like seriously... What is so important that you're so busy if you're supposedly unemployed and destitute??  <_<

Then there was the lady walking the cars on the (6) train that had cancer or some nonsense... I could smell a white lie a mile away and she knew it too... I looked at her like like please... You're not fooling me one bit.  Half the time they don't even approach me because they know that I know that they're full of BS...

Problem is, many people don't just come on, give a sob story and collect their money from folks who wanna give it to them. They come onto trains and into stations playing music, breakdancing, and a whole bunch of other crap that disturbs everyone's commute, blocks traffic, and in many cases causes large unsafe gatherings on platforms and even sometimes in trains. There shouldn't be people interrupting New York's commute blasting music and breakdancing. If we banned musicians, breakdancing and the sort, there would be much more room for folks to stand and wait in stations, there would be more room on board trains, and everyone would have the peaceful commute home they deserve. You wanna come on and calmly ask people for money, go ahead fine, there's probably not much the MTA can do about that anyway. That shit's easy to ignore and stay focused on whatever else I'm doing on my iPhone or whatever. But when people turn the subway into their personal playground, it's extremely hard to ignore and creates a dangerous situation.

The only SCAM that I run into all the time is when I'm at Fordham or Jamaica and somebody is trying to scrounge up a couple dollars to get to White Plains or Hicksville. Every time I offer to buy the person a ticket and they say "oh you don't have to do that....." and then go to the next person to ask for money. If it's MONEY you want, at least be honest about it!

The only SCAM that I run into all the time is when I'm at Fordham or Jamaica and somebody is trying to scrounge up a couple dollars to get to White Plains or Hicksville. Every time I offer to buy the person a ticket and they say "oh you don't have to do that....." and then go to the next person to ask for money. If it's MONEY you want, at least be honest about it!

LOL... That's another nice scam I've run into as well with the mention of MetroNorth.  I'm sorry but if you can't afford MetroNorth then maybe you should move elsewhere

So what are you saying with this.... Panhandling is just as legitimate as someone working a 9-to-5?

"Inside Edition" did do a piece on beggars (on the street, anyway), and how some of them WERE of normal personhood before and after their "begging" job, changing in cars and such. It is fun watching them running away from the camera.

Wonder why they're running from the camera.....

Why run if you have nothing to hide... Tell your story on camera, just as you would some someone you're either approaching or want someone to come up to you to give you "some change"

Those of us who are employed are providing something of value to our employers, in exchange for which we get paid. If my employer decides that I'm no longer of value, I'm out of a job.

Beggars don't provide anything of value. They ask me to give them money in exchange for annoying me on the train.

Archived