Beggars and annoyances on the subway

nyctransit

Err Realizm was exposed to homelessness hence his sympathy for some of them due to experience it's called human nature and understanding which is why he has a so called heart. I do believe some can be saved.

I truly feel sorry for you does the MTA supply you with gas masks?

It's all good dude. We are on the same page.

I got what 46Dover is saying. He's been there.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Err Realizm was exposed to homelessness hence his sympathy for some of them due to experience it's called human nature and understanding which is why he has a so called heart. I do believe some can be saved.

I truly feel sorry for you does the MTA supply you with gas masks?

Only a mask incase of a biological attack, otherwise its clothespins on your nose. I feel bad for these people don't get me wrong, but alot of them don't want to be helped or are just mentally ill and they are beyond help. Cant take this job home with you or to the heart. Its just a job.

Only a mask incase of a biological attack, otherwise its clothespins on your nose. I feel bad for these people don't get me wrong, but alot of them don't want to be helped or are just mentally ill and they are beyond help. Cant take this job home with you or to the heart. Its just a job.

Which is why I can relate to your POV.

Most of us seem to be fans of the subway, so I'm a little apprehensive posting this.

I absolutely HATE the subway annoyances like people preaching out loud, begging for money, performing on the train etc. Is all this even permitted? I wonder how the conductors/MTA even allows then to be a nuisance and annoyance to the publice. Hell, the MTA subway transit is not doing any social service, we pay for our tickets.

I was travelling to work today from penn-station to fulton-street on the 2 line and I was off from work for the morning today. So I plan to reach work at 1 PM. My regular travel to work is usually 8 AM on the train which means a super crowded train but atleast it is free from annoying people. This person enters at 34 street too and starts preaching out loudly on various topics. He was ridiculously loud and he was in the samae car as the conductor car. This man went all the way upto fulton street, where I got off, and beyond.

As you can tell, I'm pretty annoyed, is there something I can do here? other than to contact the "earless" MTA.

MTA employees are not authorized to remove them from trains...only to notify and request police to do so.

The real solution is this: More ads in trains (like in the 90's) saying NOT TO GIVE to panhandlers on the train, and for people to actually stop doing it.

Dry up their income and they'll go do something else. Or they'll die. Either way, everybody wins except them.

Most of us seem to be fans of the subway, so I'm a little apprehensive posting this.

I absolutely HATE the subway annoyances like people preaching out loud, begging for money, performing on the train etc. Is all this even permitted? I wonder how the conductors/MTA even allows then to be a nuisance and annoyance to the publice. Hell, the MTA subway transit is not doing any social service, we pay for our tickets.

I was travelling to work today from penn-station to fulton-street on the 2 line and I was off from work for the morning today. So I plan to reach work at 1 PM. My regular travel to work is usually 8 AM on the train which means a super crowded train but atleast it is free from annoying people. This person enters at 34 street too and starts preaching out loudly on various topics. He was ridiculously loud and he was in the samae car as the conductor car. This man went all the way upto fulton street, where I got off, and beyond.

As you can tell, I'm pretty annoyed, is there something I can do here? other than to contact the "earless" MTA.

Welcome to NYC !

are there still spanish people walking around and saying, bateree(battery) one dolla! with like bags of toys ? 

Spanish? lol, Those were Koreans, and I haven't seen one of those hustlers in years....

I want to know what happens if one of these preachers hands out their pamphlets to an undercover cop - now that I would pay to see.

Probably much of nothing....

I have been on a train when one of those (false) bible-thumping christian preachers handed out one of those pamphlets to a muslim, though.... The back & forth shouting that resulted from that was priceless !

.....I don't need someone to preach to me as to why I am going to hell. Really most of what they say is not even according to the bible, just them running their mouths thinking they are the chosen ones out of their own delusional thinking. Could never understand preachers on the train.....

True - I hear them always say " we all will be going to hell" or "why we would not be going to hell" etc etc. I can never understand them either.

I also hate the performances on the train but that's something I would put up with

And I agree with you - mos of such preachers , do not quote directly from any religious texts, its just their frustrations and they need to seek help ,not bother other lawful residents.

Christian when convenient.... False Christians... Whatever you wanna call em....

Those nuts make it bad for the true followers of the religion - and there are WAY too many of those frauds/hypocrites out here....

The threat of going to hell is nothing more than a scare tactic used by these hypocrites to have the weak-minded succumb to becoming a fraudulent christian like themselves - Crabs in the barrel....

I don't believe what you believe in (what I usually say if I'm in the mood to even part my lips to these fools is "I'm already in hell")....

In any case, f*** out of my face... The only place I'm going, is the f*** away from you when I get off this train.....

I swear, the older I get, the more sick of people I get.....

..Or you can pretend you are asleep. 

That doesn't work anymore.... they will resort to either standing in front of you for a couple seconds and/or put those pamphlets on your lap....

(the stench of some of em is enough to make you open your eyes anyway !)

How much will you pay to see me smack those loud preachers and post it on youtube? LOL

I will be rolling that really needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Woah man I'd just put em in their place damn so much anger and aggression. Beat down that is not as much fun as putting em on blast. 

* I want to know what happens if you put your hands on one of these preachers with an undercover cop onboard - now that I would pay to see. *

On the preachers I will have to agree on this. That is a disturbance to me as well, an invasion of my peace and privacy. And I am a Christian myself! I don't need someone to preach to me as to why I am going to hell. Really most of what they say is not even according to the bible, just them running their mouths thinking they are the chosen ones out of their own delusional thinking. Could never understand preachers on the train.....

You need to come to Broadway Junction then lol. There's always preachers up there, Jehovah's Witnesses handing out pamphlets, and them dudes handing out that newspaper (forgot the name) all at once. And them people up there are itching to give you something/try to"convert" (lack of a better term).

Don't Getty me wrong, I may be atheist, but I respect everyones religion equally. I just hate when they try to cram it down your throat (even had one say that all other religions are the work of the devil). But some are actually peaceful about it

I see there's a kindred spirit in this forum lol I too have had experience with homelessness and in my own way have risen above it to become a bus driver (not married, no house, in due time). In a way I feel for the homeless, and I hold the city accountable for this, as some of this was years in the making. But I also believe if a certain level of pride, motivation, and direction were infused in some of the homeless who can be saved, hey, it takes only one spark to start a fire.

Preach brother preach

You need to come to Broadway Junction then lol. There's always preachers up there, Jehovah's Witnesses handing out pamphlets, and them dudes handing out that newspaper (forgot the name) all at once. And them people up there are itching to give you something/try to"convert" (lack of a better term).

Don't Getty me wrong, I may be atheist, but I respect everyones religion equally. I just hate when they try to cram it down your throat (even had one say that all other religions are the work of the devil). But some are actually peaceful about it

The Final Call founded by Louis Farrakhan. It's published by the Nation of Islam. I see the newspaper distributed alot @ 125th Street on the CPW and as a youth @ Jamaica Center on the QBL/Archer.

See, that's the thing... the fact that anyone out here period is tryna convert people, is enough...

I don't care how peaceful it is, don't try to force me to believe in something you do....

As far as B'way Junction.... yeah, outside of waiting pax, that's all that's over there are bible-thumpers, drunkards, and police...... It's the drunkards I find to be a lot more of a nuisance over there though....

I don't actually mind preachers who minister to others,

.....however what I don't appreciate is the loud and obnoxious ones condemning us to hell who always seem to be on the trains practically bordering on harassing people. Quite contrary to the bible where in many scriptures it states that people should not be judging others by their appearance, skin color, their lot in life (whether they are rich or poor) or their sins that can be forgiven....

.....which comes back to what Fresh Pond was alluding to (I realize he is an athiest, respect) , that there are people who minister peacefully. However they would do that according to the scriptures in truth, knowing that again the bible teaches ministers to love their neighbors and to treat others with mildness and deep respect. Unlike the two faced ones who preach that Armegeddon is coming yesterday and that we are going to all die by hellfire. Bullshit! 

So yeah B35, correct we have our hypocrites out there.

Actually, which book you read in the bible decides the messages you find in it. IIRC, one passage in Deuteronomy claims that if you discover a city partaking in idol worship you should kill them all and their pets!

Meanwhile, the new testament seems to be more inclined towards peace and love for all. Course, these irritating preachers don't care for sayings such as "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" - they find a verse that they could use to condemn someone, they WILL use it, make no mistake.

Meanwhile, the new testament seems to be more inclined towards peace and love for all. Course, these irritating preachers don't care for sayings such as "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" - they find a verse that they could use to condemn someone, they WILL use it, make no mistake.

Exactly.

@ Dover: Yeah, true.

The thing is some ministers love the publicity and are actually making money off these crazy predictions or other such crazy agendas and themes via contributions. Makes me wonder if they are really having revelations from whatever supernatural source it is, good or bad, or just greedy mofos simply trying to make that money. Some of these ministers, deacons, cardinals and priests etc etc have been exposed in the media before because of corruption in their sect that they serve as Christian advocates, all in all. Corruption tied to governments and all of that. This is a worldwide problem I understand. Again speaking as a devout Christian I find this disturbing.

Add: This is not just happening in the Church. How about Al Qaeda and their fanaticism? The Koran obviously does not support their cause. Ditto on the Nation of Islam, a separate issue in itself but still, some of the things that Farrakhan said in the past in his talks is like wtf? As an Asian with Afro-American blood in me as well i highly resent some of the things he said towards the Asian American community. Racist prick, he's somewhat comparable to Hitler, another fanatic who is Catholic by faith.

Nope he is just making a point due to the majority of them being hispanic I don't sense any racial hostility here.

Thank you for gettin my back against that stereotypical comment I responded to. However I take that back I'm not finished yet.

On the subject discussed on performers: It ain't just the Mexicans playing accordions. Many persons of Euro descent also make performances using similar instruments particularly accordions and guitars. On the CPW and on the QBL.

The we have my Chinese brothers playing their 7-stringed zithers and all of that. I could care less how ppl view this, because it it the truth. can't deny that, haters.

Yeah either way I can appreciate it, diversity in culture is a beautiful thing  but when I'm tired on the train fighting and commuting home to my loved ones and dudes in my hood, the sudden disruptions from the calming run of the wheels on the tracks, the traction motors running that puts me in a good sleepy peace of mind the sudden noize fro a performance really makes my brain fart as a disruption. This what I have an entertainment system for, so I can play my tunes when I am set for it, not in fighting on the PM rush with all kinds of noize so I can have my dinner and two beers and my love in my life.

@realizm, after 9/11 kicked off, Muhammad Ali was asked how has it been for Muslims afterwards, he responded: Muslims don't kill people. But remember, Catholics, Baptists, all religions have terrorists.

When that church predicted the End of the World couple years back first for May, then October, NJ Transit was dumb enough to put those ads on the buses. I saw one inside a Leased Community Coach Novabus and laughed out loud

Preaching is protected free speech, as a public agency the MTA can't do anything about that.

Causing shit on the trains like those breakdancers do is another story... the MTA should really consider doing something about those guys. Perform safely on the platform, but not on my train thank you!

Preaching is protected free speech, as a public agency the MTA can't do anything about that.

Causing shit on the trains like those breakdancers do is another story... the MTA should really consider doing something about those guys. Perform safely on the platform, but not on my train thank you!

Pfft... Free speech... It's harassment... You get in an enclosed subway car and can't get out and some jerk gets on talking about you're going to hell and how you've sinned and you're forced to listen to that crap... Doesn't sound like free speech to me. In fact I had a similar situation on the Staten Island ferry and the folks on the ferry made a big stink about it to representatives and they started putting cops on the ferry to get rid of them because they're pushy and obnoxious. 

Nobody needs to be aggravated like that when they're trying to go to work or school.

Spanish? lol, Those were Koreans, and I haven't seen one of those hustlers in years....

when i lived in ny i mostly saw spanish  i saw koreans only like 5 times.

and i don't see why my earlier post in this thread got marked down? i was only asking if those people were still there. sorry if someone felt offended didn't mean too.

We have about the same issues in Paris metro.

People performing in the train (well maybe tourists love accordeons but not so much the local population).

People begging for money (in a sigle journey, you can have it several time).

People preaching (Jesus, imagine if they were muslims)

Without forgetting homeless who sleep and live in the stations, some with dogs and urinating in the corridors.

Pickpockets children from Eastern Europe.

Archived