Train Operator exam 8098

OmarC

So I got the letter yesterday... I'm to show up at 180 Livingston next week for pre-employment screening.

I actually took this test a long time ago anticipating never to be called, but I took it anyway. I scored well. I got a cumulative 95, made list number 840.

I'm reading through the other threads in here about what to expect, and whether I'm even fit for this line of work at all. I'm a desktop/server/network support guy by trade, been doing this for the past 13 years. This economy isn't looking very hot... or let's just say... it hasn't been looking very hot... and I've been expecting to get laid off from where I work now for the past several weeks. Needless to say, it was bittersweet to receive this letter.

Why do I say bittersweet? Well..... I guess this is where I need someone to fill me in.....

I know you are pretty much expected to give up your personal life before joining this crew. No holidays, no weekends, no nights at home. How really bad is it? And how long does that last, if it ever stops at all for a new hire like me?

I don't mean to sound like a whiney little bia... But I just need to know so I can make a decision...

Personally, the only disruption in my life this job would cause that would bother me is with my daughter. She lives with her mom and I have a set schedule to see her three times a week. I would hate to jeopardize the relationship I've built with my daughter these past eight years.... but I have to think about my retirement as well.

Decisions decisions.....

Please don't troll in my thread... I just want honest, cold-truth answers.. Thanks in advance.

So I got the letter yesterday... I'm to show up at 180 Livingston next week for pre-employment screening.

I actually took this test a long time ago anticipating never to be called, but I took it anyway. I scored well. I got a cumulative 95, made list number 840.

I'm reading through the other threads in here about what to expect, and whether I'm even fit for this line of work at all. I'm a desktop/server/network support guy by trade, been doing this for the past 13 years. This economy isn't looking very hot... or let's just say... it hasn't been looking very hot... and I've been expecting to get laid off from where I work now for the past several weeks. Needless to say, it was bittersweet to receive this letter.

Why do I say bittersweet? Well..... I guess this is where I need someone to fill me in.....

I know you are pretty much expected to give up your personal life before joining this crew. No holidays, no weekends, no nights at home. How really bad is it? And how long does that last, if it ever stops at all for a new hire like me?

I don't mean to sound like a whiney little bia... But I just need to know so I can make a decision...

Personally, the only disruption in my life this job would cause that would bother me is with my daughter. She lives with her mom and I have a set schedule to see her three times a week. I would hate to jeopardize the relationship I've built with my daughter these past eight years.... but I have to think about my retirement as well.

Decisions decisions.....

Please don't troll in my thread... I just want honest, cold-truth answers.. Thanks in advance.

Let me put in short and sweet get ready to basically have your time devoted to your job for the next three years perhaps.

Thats the best way i can say it Until you are able to pick somewhat of a steady schedule  you are Extra.

If you are ok with this then come on down. 

Commitment,sacrifice you will know those words well,  if you dont like those words....

Then dont waste your time.

Well sure... I know those words well.... It's the reason I'm even asking about this here... I'm looking out for number one her and that would be me.

The letter says Train Operator (Yard). From what I've read in here so far, I would be working the train depots I'd assume.

What you said still applies?

Well sure... I know those words well.... It's the reason I'm even asking about this here... I'm looking out for number one her and that would be me.

Then nothing else needs to be said then come on down...

The letter says Train Operator (Yard). From what I've read in here so far, I would be working the train depots I'd assume.

You will spend at least 50 days in the yd during your training and after a certain amount of road hrs your next pass should say "Rev Vehicles"   (Meaning top pay). Right now get in the door 1st then worry about that later.

• 2 weeks later...

I need opinions. I live in PA and have a good job out here. In a year I'll be at top pay which is $28 an hour. The problem is that i don't have any job security because there are always rumors about this place shutting down. I went to the pre employment and drug testing and am awaiting to be called for the medical. My concern is the commute to NY and back to PA everyday. Would it be worth it? What are the hours like? Is there daily OT, or do you just work your 8?

I live not far from you, up in Bangor. 

Until you have enough seniority for a steady pick, you're going to be bounced around the system like a drunk sorority girl in a frat house. From Macungie, the closest yard would be Coney Island, but there is no guarantee that you will get to work there.

I stay at my in-laws in Brooklyn during the week, and come home on the weekends for now. Once I get a chance to pick, I'm going to try for 207 St or Concourse, since I can be at both in about 90 minutes. 

As far as your other questions, the Search Function is your friend. 

I live not far from you, up in Bangor. 

Until you have enough seniority for a steady pick, you're going to be bounced around the system like a drunk sorority girl in a frat house. From Macungie, the closest yard would be Coney Island, but there is no guarantee that you will get to work there.

I stay at my in-laws in Brooklyn during the week, and come home on the weekends for now. Once I get a chance to pick, I'm going to try for 207 St or Concourse, since I can be at both in about 90 minutes. 

As far as your other questions, the Search Function is your friend. 

Good post couldn't have said it any better!

Archived