Not So Smart

Harry

I can't stress enough how freaking ugly this car is. I can't see anything smart about a car like this. It just doesn't look safe to me. I will tell you this, it was easy as hell to photograph. I took this shot yesterday while visiting a friend in Williamsburg Brooklyn

IMG_1046.jpg

It only takes up about a quarter of an average parking space, and has 3 4 and 5 star ratings for rear, side, and head on collisions respectively. It's actually a lot safer than you may think. Also, it uses less gas, and allows people who dont need a car every day to own a car.

- Andy

LOL...well I guess if nothing else that car is a good way to get your girlfriend to sit on your lap :) not that she should need a reason to do that :cool:

In all seriousness that car is tiny and nasty lookin so I'd probably never drive one myself. As for safety, it is pretty safe in that unlike its appearance it doesn't "squash like a bug", it scored well in crash tests, but it's built like a tank, if you crash one of those things there is NO give (it won't buckle at all) so unless you're a NASCAR driver with a HANS system in your car if you hit something you are going to go from 65+ to 0 VERY fast and are going to liquify your Organs...there is NO front end telescoping to "ease the pain", not even like a normal sedan say, so if you hit anything head on you are done for...not even a slim chance unless you are VERY lucky or going slow...or have a HANS..

go to Screwtube and type in 'smart car crash test' if you don't believe me

It's actually a lot safer than you may think.

I don't know about that Andy. A moderate to serious crash with that car = automatic jaws of life. Don't you wear a size 14 shoe. That means you got to be at least 6' 5" or more. Would you feel safe in a car like that. I'm about 6' 3" and I wouldn't at my height.

I think these cars could be very safe... if every person on the road drove one, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Exactly what I was thinking. But not with all these SUVs still out on the road. Even full size cars for that matter.

Personally, there was a time when I liked the Smart car, but that has passed now. I guess there's an appeal because it's pretty cheap and gets pretty good mileage (40/45). Myself, I've been a Toyota guy all my life and do favor their vehicles compared to others; that said, I'd rather have a Yaris than a Smart car... heck, the Yaris is pretty small and it's very spacious with the hatchback. When I visited Europe a few years back I noticed that the demand for small fuel efficient vehicles was much higher than in the states... I soon found out why when the bus stopped for gas... the price of gas there was around $4 a liter (that's almost $16 a gallon!). All I have to say to this is that I'm not going to have a car when I move to NYC.

Someone needs to squash that little bug... :mad:

LOL!!!

LOL...well I guess if nothing else that car is a good way to get your girlfriend to sit on your lap B) not that she should need a reason to do that :cool:

With girls these days, you need to give them a reason........

In all seriousness that car is tiny and nasty lookin so I'd probably never drive one myself. As for safety, it is pretty safe in that unlike its appearance it doesn't "squash like a bug", it scored well in crash tests, but it's built like a tank, if you crash one of those things there is NO give (it won't buckle at all) so unless you're a NASCAR driver with a HANS system in your car if you hit something you are going to go from 65+ to 0 VERY fast and are going to liquify your Organs...there is NO front end telescoping to "ease the pain", not even like a normal sedan say, so if you hit anything head on you are done for...not even a slim chance unless you are VERY lucky or going slow...or have a HANS..

go to Screwtube and type in 'smart car crash test' if you don't believe me

If I were driving a bus, I would just drive over that thing, and keep going. The excuse "I didn't know it was there" would be a great excuse, as that tiny thing would be barely visible.....

I couldn't nor wouldn't drive that tiny car, for the simple fact that my size 12 boots would get stuck in between the gas pedal and the brake pedal. Besides with my short clown like stature, and afro (short with huge feet), I would look like a clown getting out of a tiny clown mobile, every-time I got out.

It would be utmost embarrassing........

If I were driving a bus, I would just drive over that thing, and keep going. The excuse "I didn't know it was there" would be a great excuse, as that tiny thing would be barely visible.....

1003594editye5.jpg + img1046gm1zd8.jpg = 1094379536bc7e684bbuv2.jpg

I couldn't nor wouldn't drive that tiny car, for the simple fact that my size 12 boots would get stuck in between the gas pedal and the brake pedal. Besides with my short clown like stature, and afro (short with huge feet), I would look like a clown getting out of a tiny clown mobile, every-time I got out.

It would be utmost embarrassing........

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like one of those best buy geek squad cars.
We are not even dumb enough to buy "SmartCars" :) Thier fuel efficiency should be much better than it is, I drive one and boy it takes forever to shift!

I like them. It's about time someone put small cars on the road here. I look forward to seeing more & more of them.

According to someone at DBAG that i know we will be seeing diesel versions next year i think or late this year, which should up the mpg by about 15, and it will come in auto or manual.

- (A)

Archived