The very first Bx46

It was early Sunday morning, so technically not that many passengers will take the bus at that time.

Ehhh, I'd like to question that, because it is the first day, but somehow the residents did have enough information on this new route. If you saw, towards the 8:00 mark on the Bx46 back to the (2)(5), there was this elderly lady that was asking the BO questions about the route and the driver didnt know, so I went to help her, and then she's like

"Sit down sir!" , and in my mind I'm like "okay", and then when I hand her one of the pamphlets of the new bus, she's like "Oh thank you sweetie....  Welcome Aboard!", anyways I was like   :huh: .

Anyways I did good today. Even with the fully local train ride I had to the bronx and the shuttle buses, I still arrived on time. The other bus driver operating 7739 on the Bx46 somehow got lost, he took Prospect Avenue to Southern Blvd, then Longwood based on what the lady said (you couldn't hear it in the video).

Oh my mistake. IIRC the way the route ran, it probably costed like $12.50 or more to run.

I think the cost to run a bus comes out to about $70 an hour or something. So if it's about an hour's runtime, that's about well, $70 or so.

I mean, I think B/Os make like $30 an hour, but I don't know how the benefits, plus maintainance and all that adds up to another $40 an hour. :huh: But that figure is fairly consistant across all transit agencies, so I dunno.

I think BrooklynBus mentioned that you have to maintain like 2/3rd of a seated load, with good turnover in order to break even. Obviously 3 people on the whole run isn't even close to that. Hopefully, ridership will increase, but with the crummy routing, I don't see how it can compete with the Bx6.

It's 17 minute now from terminal to terminal, with a 13 minute layover at both areas, so it would exactly cost $70 an hour to run .

Part of it depends on how long the bus is in motion (17 minutes with 13 minutes of layover is different from 27 minutes from 3 minutes of layover), how far the distance is that you're traveling, and other variables. Plus, the $70 per hour cost was approximate.

Part of it depends on how long the bus is in motion (17 minutes with 13 minutes of layover is different from 27 minutes from 3 minutes of layover), how far the distance is that you're traveling, and other variables. Plus, the $70 per hour cost was approximate.

The schedule says 27 minutes to Hunts Point, but that needs to be reevaluated in the future if this problem persists, because the bus got to Hunts Point Food Market 10 minutes early. Within a few weeks, the bus route should be evaluated for time measures and scheduling, as well as other aspects. BO's make $20 to $29 an hour, plus other costs, so it could be $60-$70 an hour, and from what I've seen on that first trip,the cost per passenger to operate would be $11.33 to $13.22 to operate one trip, or $33.99 to $39.66 an hour, but it was the first day, so it can't be judged yet. I'll fan it again within several weeks to evaluate the new service.

• 1 year later...

how is the route now.it been over a year now

First of all, thank you for bumping up a year old thread to ask a simple question like that. Second of all, your grammer is awful and you need to fix that. Anyway, to answer your question, at the time the the original post was uploaded, the route had just started service.

Archived