Metro-North stations in Connecticut

ladyjay114

Hi Everyone,

Since the weather is getting warmer I wanted to explore Connecticut via MNR (i.e. Greenwich, Stamford), but is there anything of interest within walking distance of the stations? Or do you need a car from the stations to get around those towns?

Thanks!

Stamford is serviced by CT Transit, you can check out their website for more info.

Most other towns up there you'd probably need a car to go much further than a few blocks from the station.

waterbury is that sad?

Yeah.  Plus take into account that the branch is sandwiched between Waterbury and Bridgeport.  One online crime rating for the citys I read rates on a scale of 1-100, 100 being the safest.  Waterbury gets a 12 and Bridgeport a 10.  In comparison, The Bronx as a whole is 20, Mount Vernon - 24, the City of White Plains is a 37, Stamford - 49

Stamford is serviced by CT Transit, you can check out their website for more info.

Most other towns up there you'd probably need a car to go much further than a few blocks from the station.

Or you could take a bike with you and hike or bicycle up there. I know that's quite an uncommon sight in NYC but hey, it's an option.

Yeah.  Plus take into account that the branch is sandwiched between Waterbury and Bridgeport.  One online crime rating for the citys I read rates on a scale of 1-100, 100 being the safest.  Waterbury gets a 12 and Bridgeport a 10.  In comparison, The Bronx as a whole is 20, Mount Vernon - 24, the City of White Plains is a 37, Stamford - 49

you sure stamford is -49? or 49?  so that crime contributes to low ridership too?

I know which site you're talking about (NeighborhoodScout). I think their methodology might be a bit skewed, though. It seemed fairly accurate when comparing one SI neighborhood to another (I couldn't see the numbers, just the different shadings), but there were some safe towns that were given very low scores.

you sure stamford is -49? or 49?  so that crime contributes to low ridership too?

Yes, Stamford is so bad it's -49 on a scale of 0 to 100. :P

It's 49, which is (presumably) average. Stamford is overall a fairly nice city. The "bad" areas within it aren't too bad. From what I've heard, Bridgeport is considered the worst city in CT, and New Haven, Hartford, and Waterbury are up there as well.

I'm gonna be throwing around cities here for comparative purposes....

If I had to pick a word to describe Waterbury, it would be depressing.... Borders on shithole status....

- To me, Bridgeport is a more urban Waterbury....

- Hartford is a larger Bridgeport (yeah, Hartford's undergoing gentrification, but still, don't be fooled by that)...

- Stamford is a lesser Hoboken (in terms of QoL & what the city has going for it)....

- New Haven is tryna be another Stamford (much like Hempstead is, to White Plains), but it's nothing more than a larger & better Bridgeport....

Difference between New Haven & Hartford is that New Haven has more going for it right now (but I still say New Haven is overrated)..... Of the CT cities mentioned, Stamford by far has the most going for it right now.... Waterbury, the least (even less so than Bridgeport)....

I'm gonna be throwing around cities here for comparative purposes....

If I had to pick a word to describe Waterbury, it would be depressing.... Borders on shithole status....

- To me, Bridgeport is a more urban Waterbury....

- Hartford is a larger Bridgeport (yeah, Hartford's undergoing gentrification, but still, don't be fooled by that)...

- Stamford is a lesser Hoboken (in terms of QoL & what the city has going for it)....

- New Haven is tryna be another Stamford (much like Hempstead is, to White Plains), but it's nothing more than a larger & better Bridgeport....

Difference between New Haven & Hartford is that New Haven has more going for it right now (but I still say New Haven is overrated)..... Of the CT cities mentioned, Stamford by far has the most going for it right now.... Waterbury, the least (even less so than Bridgeport)....

So even more train service won't increase waterbury ridership till that area gets better IC.

So even more train service won't increase waterbury ridership till that area gets better IC.

That's a double edge sword.  Train service may not increase unless there is more riders but you may not get additional daily commuters unless there is added train service.  Being the current service is as limited as it is has some opting to drive to the main line stations so they can get to and from quicker.  This is similar to those that live in Danbury opting to drive to Southeast.

Regardless of regular commuters, you will still have the junkies on the branch because it's the cheapest form of transportation to the aforementioned clinic.  The only thing that may get more of them traveling is more bathrooms on the trains to fit their friends and families in.

Archived