How Will the MTA Spend its New Found Money?

BrooklynBus

I'm sorry but Bus Time is certainly more valuable than you realize and this is from someone that uses it daily and has been since it started.with. Yes it would be nice to know how far the bus is in terms of time if there is traffic, but that's really only necessary during rush hour.  If someone is traveling late at night or during non-peak times when traffic is normal or light, that's when Bus Time is extremely handy.  I think you're underestimating how savvy one can be with Bus Time.  Bus Time is a tool NOT the answer and it is not a car service.  It's supposed to a guide and it should be used as such.  In other words, people should not be living by Bus Time.  I mean seriously, most of the time my waits with Bus Time are 5 minutes or less.  I don't think I can ask for anything better.  The bus is scheduled to arrive at a stop at a certain time and unless there is heavy traffic buses generally should be on time, something that Bus Time has helped with as well because B/Os can just come whenever.  They're forced to adhere to the schedule more, that's why knowing the distance of how far the bus is would be nice but isn't that big of a deal.

I can opinionate what the MTA won't do with all of that 358 million.....

To analogize, just like that creep Bob Nutting (Pittsburgh Pirates' owner) did with all that money that came from revenue sharing - Line his own damn pockets with it, instead of taking steps to make his team/franchise a little term called competitive..... Shit, is it that damn hard to ask for (and get) something as meager as a .500 record in the past damn 20 years... My god, that makes the Chicago Cubs (who at least TRY) look like all stars....

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath for any wage increases for any of its hard working blue collar employees, a full restoration of every single cut in service that resulted from the "draconian" 2010 cuts, and for damn sure - no reconstruction of the bus system.... All we, the riding public, will end up experiencing is eventual bastardization & decrementation of our system.... I hope these little ticky tack bus routes they're coming out with aren't getting folks' hopes up..... Dost thou know what can be giveth can be taken away.....

Biggie said "Mo money, mo problems"...

Nah, I say "more money, more corruption".....

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath for any wage increases for any of its hard working blue collar employees, a full restoration of every single cut in service that resulted from the "draconian" 2010 cuts, and for damn sure - no reconstruction of the bus system.... All we, the riding public, will end up experiencing is eventual bastardization & decrementation of our system.... I hope these little ticky tack bus routes they're coming out with aren't getting folks' hopes up..... Dost thou know what can be giveth can be taken away.....

Biggie said "Mo money, mo problems"...

Nah, I say "more money, more corruption".....

Yeah true, let's not hold our breaths....

What I'm thinking that they might make plans to funnel this money into the Capitol Construction budget to fund for further GO's and maybe even towards the Fastrack programs within the MTA Subways division of the MTA corporation  As for bus improvements, well you would know about that part better then I do, I guess maintenance of the bus fleets would need definitely improvement also the expansion of BusTime as VG8 already touched upon. 

This is not alot of money to fund all of this. So it will be interesting where this money will actually go. I hate to even imagine where...... too late, into the executive's pockets? That's what always happens with major corporations with the corruption involved.

first i would  reinstate the old offpeek subway guideline whitch is seated loads.  whicht would mean a cross the sevice increase sepecialt on weeekend.

second i would order more artics for the b41,46, bx36, m42, 100.

third i would convert for  qv artics  q27, q46.

Newly found money? This money originally belonged to the MTA. The gov't just decided to steal less of it this time around.

With that said, this is still a net loss for the MTA.

It's still money they didn't know they were getting. I believe some of it is what Cuomo promised would be replaced when he partially removed the payroll tax for small businesses.  That doesn't mean they still aren't stealing MTA funds.  

Also, they can't readily switch funds between capital and operating just because they feel like it.

It's still money they didn't know they were getting. I believe some of it is what Cuomo promised would be replaced when he partially removed the payroll tax for small businesses.  That doesn't mean they still aren't stealing MTA funds.  

Also, they can't readily switch funds between capital and operating just because they feel like it.

this money is 4 the operations,right

What the MTA should be doing with the money now is make visible improvements: the ones that are long-lasting and noticeable. Service improvements like increased frequency might be a bit difficult to notice as I don't believe there is enough money to make the increase perceptible to enough people.

People need to see that the MTA is spending the money on them. This could go a long way in public relations for the MTA. Politicians will stop beating the MTA like a piñata when the MTA is seen positively.

Bring back the B37, maybe? Off the top of my head that makes sense. Otherwise, just increase headways for busy lines as needed.

For trolls sake, bring back the X29, too.

Judging by some of the ridiculous ideas they've come up with recently, it sounds like they don't want to do anything that "makes sense".

I mean, for crying out loud, if they're so concerned with serving these developing areas, why did they cut one of the quickest-growing routes in the city? (B71)

The X29 was actually fairly efficient. That wouldn't be too unreasonable to ask for. The B37, like we discussed in another thread would likely need some modifications if it were to be brought back, to boost ridership.

But I don't think we should just improve headways on busy lines as needed. As BrooklynBus said, there's a lot of restructuring that needs to be done in some areas. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll be seeing a large-scale restructuring anytime soon. I mean, they showed with some of the changes (for instance, the B57/61/75/77 restructuring) that they're at least capable of restructuring routes (even if it was 30 years after BrooklynBus thought of it). The question is if they're willing to do that again.

I say the money should go towards the infrastructure of the subway system. What good is having new toys if they're running on ancient/decrepit tracks, signals, and the like?

Those woud be capital improvements. We're talking about operating funds here.

Judging by some of the ridiculous ideas they've come up with recently, it sounds like they don't want to do anything that "makes sense".

I mean, for crying out loud, if they're so concerned with serving these developing areas, why did they cut one of the quickest-growing routes in the city? (B71)

The X29 was actually fairly efficient. That wouldn't be too unreasonable to ask for. The B37, like we discussed in another thread would likely need some modifications if it were to be brought back, to boost ridership.

But I don't think we should just improve headways on busy lines as needed. As BrooklynBus said, there's a lot of restructuring that needs to be done in some areas. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll be seeing a large-scale restructuring anytime soon. I mean, they showed with some of the changes (for instance, the B57/61/75/77 restructuring) that they're at least capable of restructuring routes (even if it was 30 years after BrooklynBus thought of it). The question is if they're willing to do that again.

X29 might need a little tweaking at the end. Maybe. It needs people from the towers in Brighton and by Neptune to use it. I'm too lazy to map it out, but I'd go usual route, only near the end at W 5, rather than go West on Surf, turn East on Brighton and go down that way to terminate at Corbin Place. I'll put this in the Brooklyn ideas thread...

We can all agree the X25 and X32 don't need to be resurrected, right?

compared to the joke that is the bxm4 X29 is very efficient extremely efficient actually when compared to the BXM4.

question is anyone with ballz as big as walder? Till then don't expect any restructuring.

Hmm let's see maybe some Clever Devices on the buses (we'll be fhe last but not least big TA in the nation to get them), more on time service and expansions/restorations, and maybe ON TIME (or better, early) citywide Bus Time expansion.

Yeah, that'll complete my order.

You and these Clever Devices....

You're like an obsessive wife, stalking the hell out of her husband.

Hmm let's see maybe some Clever Devices on the buses (we'll be fhe last but not least big TA in the nation to get them), more on time service and expansions/restorations, and maybe ON TIME (or better, early) citywide Bus Time expansion.

Yeah, that'll complete my order.

I don't see why the Clever Devices are so important... there are still other TA's that don't have them and they are expensive... plus, if we do automated announcements, will we need to get someone from Clever to update them every time like w/the NTT's? Not a good deal. Plus, there are tons of aging buses that would need them, but will be retired in 6-8 years. It's not practical.

I don't see why the Clever Devices are so important... there are still other TA's that don't have them and they are expensive... plus, if we do automated announcements, will we need to get someone from Clever to update them every time like w/the NTT's? Not a good deal. Plus, there are tons of aging buses that would need them, but will be retired in 6-8 years. It's not practical.

Actually there aren't really any, some don't use their system but pretty much everyone has onboard auto announcements now. People in Manhattan (tourists) definitely could use them, don't know aboutt the other boroughs since people know what they're doing and where fhey're going. It's also a good liability tool for the MTA in case a handicapped person or one of those "advocacy groups" decides to sue if the B/O announcements are inaudible or not made. Plus it keeps our B/Os focused on the road, especially when most don't use the SpeakEasy and when they do it sounds really mumbled, I'm guessing that's why they don't.

And I'm not too sure about the updates. Another one of the big companies that made these was Digital Recordeds and they used a computerized voice (which was actually easy to hear) and the announcements could be reprogrammed by the TA at any time, they got bought out by Clever. With the Clever system I believe it uses an actual human voice so yes they do have to reprogram it. But, they're actually pretty good at doing that, they're really moving along with programming NICE's 3Gs and NJT.

Archived