Christine Quinn wants city, not MTA, to control subway and bus systems in the five boroughs

Turbo19

quinn12n-3-web.jpg

Council Speaker Christine Quinn, the Democratic front-runner in the mayoral race, is shown giving a speech on transportation issues Thursday at LaGuardia Community College in Queens.

Mayoral candidate Christine Quinn took a page from the Bloomberg campaign playbook Thursday, arguing that the city

should take control from the MTA of the subway and city bus systems.

The vast majority of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s riders take subway trains and buses in the five boroughs, with a smaller percentage of its overall ridership taking its commuter rail lines.

But city residents “have little say in how that system is run,” Quinn said during a transportation-themed speech at LaGuardia Community College in Queens.

“This has resulted in an MTA that doesn’t respond quickly enough to the needs of New Yorkers and the changing face of our city.”

Read more: Source

(NYDailyNews)

Please share your opinion guys.

My opinion, the city has no place in the operation of public transportation within the five boroughs. As of now the MTA is doing a fair operation of its services and it's only improving. To transition the services from the MTA to the city would be detrimental to the progress that has been made in this point in time.

Furthermore, there are many other concerns that need to be addressed internally that are beyond what has been presented at the surface level.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well with her atitude and what's she's about I don't think she can be mayor. I think it very dumb that she wants the city to take over the subway system after it being in MTA control for about 60 years. That's just like taking all MTA bus lines and turning them back into the old unreliable private bus lines they were. I might of understood the bridges being owned by the city but that's a maybe.

Well with her atitude and what's she's about I don't think she can be mayor. I think it very dumb that she wants the city to take over the subway system after it being in MTA control for about 60 years. That's just like taking all MTA bus lines and turning them back into the old unreliable private bus lines they were. I might of understood the bridges being owned by the city but that's a maybe.

Well to be quite honest, I do see a strong basis behind her motives, though I (and many others) are concerned about the possible worsening of services. In a perfect world a seemless transition would be possible, but it's obviously doesn't work like that.

With such a transition operations are directly affected, which in turn directly affect the passengers and MTA staff, and that is just the very basics of it. If this ever comes close to a reality there will be many hurdles for Quinn and the city to tackle.

So after the state steps in and organizes the cities public transportation because the city was unable to (both in the 60's and again in '05), now she wants the city to step back in and f*** it all up again?? What this is about is the revenue made from the MTA and Bloomberg being tired of the head of the MTA essentially telling him to go "fornicate himself with an iron stick". They see how he state takes a majority of the revenue made by the MTA, uses it on other agencies, than gives back a fraction of it, and watches while everyone asks, "why is the MTA always in debt?". She wants to do the same...

The (MTA) did more than the city ever would have. Sure they don't listen to us as much as they could, but its hard to do that for millions of people and the city government couldn't do it any better. Look how the (MTA) consolidated all the private bus lines into one system and is still working to combine (MTA) bus and (MTA) New York City Transit. I doubt the city would have put as much work into as they did. This woman is going in a wrong direction and has lost my vote.

I don't know if the city should take over, but the city should certainly more say in how things are run in terms of services.  She does have a valid point in that we the residents know what we need the most and this is something that the (MTA) is slow and often times STUBBORN to accept.  

She knows full well that transitioning the MTA back to city-control will never happen. She's just pandering for votes. 

That may be but I do agree with her in that the city should have more say about how the (MTA) serves us.  Service implementations need to be addressed quicker and more efficiently.

Douchebag politician plugs a lame pandering idea. What else is new. My god the crop of candidates in our mayoral race is awful.

I wouldn't call it pandering.  There certainly needs to be some changes at the (MTA).  With a fare increase this year and in 2015 the city certainly should have more say and maybe if anything this could create a dialogue with how the (MTA) could better serve the city.  I do not fully support the city taking over.

Quinn makes one good point here. The city's voice when it comes to its service has been drowned out, and the MTA still needs some serious changes in how they operate their system, particularly the way they plan and converse with the neighborhoods. The residents of New York City aren't stupid, and they know where to go, what to have, and what to expect. Despite some changes in the right direction, the MTA still hasn't been listening as well as it should, if not at all. More needs to be done.

But the suggestion to have the city run the subway and bus system as a result?

tumblr_ls8th1zAaM1r0mz83.png

That's absolutely asinine! The city doesn't have the money nor resources to operate this complex transportation system. They're paying a boatload of cash running the city as is, and having the transportation system piled on their laps will needlessly multiply the cost.

Quinn, if you want me to vote for you, you'll have to come up with a better solution than this crap.

Another harebrained idea from this spineless and corrupt hack.

Douchebag politician plugs a lame pandering idea. What else is new. My god the crop of candidates in our mayoral race is awful.

Bill de Blasio isn't too bad, and if Thompson would wake up he wouldn't be bad. I don't mind Lhota to be honest, but I don't agree with him on any of his policies.

She can't just destroy a vital part of NYC which is used by many people. The subway is how many people in Queens and Brooklyn get to work. The city will only provide bad service and will not check up on the trains and stations as often. The whole logics of her plan is weak. If the city is not doing that what makes her think the city and afford to maintain the whole subway system?

That may be but I do agree with her in that the city should have more say about how the (MTA) serves us.  Service implementations need to be addressed quicker and more efficiently.

I think a system needs to be set up for the public to have more input for service improvements directly rather than going through the city. And I don;t mean more of those stupid community town hall things. Maybe a petition type system like the white house instituted. 

Archived