Christine Quinn wants city, not MTA, to control subway and bus systems in the five boroughs

Turbo19

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tolling the bridges and tunnels that are not tolled in New York City and using it to fund the (MTA) isn't as bad of an idea as you think. The (MTA) will get to collect more money, and that money could be used to improve mass transit that would take people off cars, and pay to maintain all those structures as well. We don't need to look far for an example. The Port Authority Trans-Hudson for example is literally debt free because of the tolls on all the Port Authority Bridges. It goes to pay for PATH maintenance. If we do the same thing with the bridges for the (MTA) the subway would be able to collect enough money to run and to be expanded. It reduces the need for cars. It also would fund other projects outside of NYC since cars that drive through these bridges and tunnels also live outside the city. It fixes the problems. I often suggested that the (MTA) build an office building or complex similar to the World Trade Center so the tenants continue to provide with a hefty paycheck for years to come.

Tolling the bridges and tunnels that are not tolled in New York City and using it to fund the (MTA) isn't as bad of an idea as you think. The (MTA) will get to collect more money, and that money could be used to improve mass transit that would take people off cars, and pay to maintain all those structures as well. We don't need to look far for an example. The Port Authority Trans-Hudson for example is literally debt free because of the tolls on all the Port Authority Bridges. It goes to pay for PATH maintenance. If we do the same thing with the bridges for the (MTA) the subway would be able to collect enough money to run and to be expanded. It reduces the need for cars. It also would fund other projects outside of NYC since cars that drive through these bridges and tunnels also live outside the city. It fixes the problems. I often suggested that the (MTA) build an office building or complex similar to the World Trade Center so the tenants continue to provide with a hefty paycheck for years to come.

Making money has never been a problem for the MTA. The problem is that only a fraction of the money made by the MTA is recycled back into the transit system. The rest of the MTA's revenue is split up and used on various state agencies.

PATH also hasn't had a major expansion in decades, and serves particularly dense areas, so its costs are easier to cover, and the agency doesn't run buses.

The main benefit of East River tolling is the end of toll shopping - I can tell you right now that a lot of Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk drivers go out of their way to avoid the Queens Midtown Tunnel and Triboro Bridge because they're tolled. The increase in revenue will be significant, but at the same time, you'd probably need to reduce Verrazano, Whitestone, and Throgs Neck tolls, to further encourage not going into Manhattan unless it's the final destination.

PATH also hasn't had a major expansion in decades, and serves particularly dense areas, so its costs are easier to cover, and the agency doesn't run buses.

The main benefit of East River tolling is the end of toll shopping - I can tell you right now that a lot of Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk drivers go out of their way to avoid the Queens Midtown Tunnel and Triboro Bridge because they're tolled. The increase in revenue will be significant, but at the same time, you'd probably need to reduce Verrazano, Whitestone, and Throgs Neck tolls, to further encourage not going into Manhattan unless it's the final destination.

They do that to get to New england what a waste of gas LIRR to MNRR via subway is faster than that!!! I see a ton of people who avoid the hugh carey tunnel and clog up the BQE for no reason other than to beat the tolls.

Our "Anybody But Quinn" campaign is working -- Thanks to your voices and our TV ads, horse hater/mayoral candidate Christine Quinn is down 10 points in the polls.

But I need your help on the ground to keep the momentum going. Please join us this Thursday, May 2nd from 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM at City Hall Park forvoter outreach and a press conference.

Can you join us this Thursday, May 2 from 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM at City Hall Park?

I got email from NY-Class that there willy be fliering and press conference against Christine Quinn if anyone is interested.

We will meet at 12:00 PM at City Hall Park at the intersection of Broadway and Park Place.

(It is across the street from 250 Broadway.)  From 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM, we will be handing out flyers and engage in some Quinn-centric "theatrics".

At 1:00 PM, we will all walk down the block to the steps of City Hall for a press conference with local labor union, CWA 1180.

RSVP now!

Please bring friends & spread the word!
See you there,

• 2 weeks later...

This video is courtesy of NYC Is Not 4 Sale

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election/super-pac-plans-mail-campaign-christine-quinn-article-1.1338731?localLinksEnabled=false

This was past Monday's Mayor Forum on Animal Protection Bill where she didn't show up because she don't love animals.

This picture and videos are courtesy of Defeat Christine Quinn

936199_183360285152894_334140619_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Pictures can tell a story of a 1000 words......

Christine Quinn may not win this one apparently as was previously thought, according to recent statistics published six days ago now.

As of now, Weiner leads Quinn 25% as compared to her to 20% percent of supporters who are registered voters with the Democratic party. This is a complete 360 from the last tally up of stats where Quinn, who was then the leading candidate, led Weiner 24% percent to 19%. The mistakes she has made in recent months this year really put a bad dent in her credibility as it is apparent she is in full support of Bloomberg's asine policies on many issues and wishes to continue to enforce those policies that stand as extremely unpopular with New Yorkers. 

For the interest groups who are opting for a better NYC transit system, in support of the MTA this looks like this is a good sign that she will not be able to carry out her insane plan of dismantling the MTA which will spell nothing but disarray and chaos throughout the transit system for NYers dependant on it. She screwed herself up and the stats are clearly showing now  the damage she did on her own campaign effort.

I truly hope Weiner beats her in the primary, but it ain't happening. The Times is the establishment and they'll endorse Quinn because she is the establishment. The Times is big here, and they'll put their weight behind Quinn. Expect plenty of "oh yeah well Weiner sent pictures to people on Twitter!*" stuff and "Quinn is a real, serious** politician!" shit from them.

*Mind you, he never actually cheated, he just sent pics (still naughty, but not cheating).

**Serious meaning she is a generic for sale politician who does "serious" things like ignore the people and do the bidding of big donors.

I truly hope Weiner beats her in the primary, but it ain't happening. The Times is the establishment and they'll endorse Quinn because she is the establishment. The Times is big here, and they'll put their weight behind Quinn. Expect plenty of "oh yeah well Weiner sent pictures to people on Twitter!*" stuff and "Quinn is a real, serious** politician!" shit from them.

*Mind you, he never actually cheated, he just sent pics (still naughty, but not cheating).

**Serious meaning she is a generic for sale politician who does "serious" things like ignore the people and do the bidding of big donors.

Oh really? So now all of a sudden politicians can be trusted when it suits your agenda... Typical.

Look at Team Quinn did after the parade?

1269_203844483104474_285959147_n.jpg

Some libraries and Flushing Meadow Park could be destroy if she becomes Mayor.

I guess Quinn don't care for environment or recycling. She only cares about money.

Really. She's trying to kill funding for that too? What a total bitch Quinn is turning out to be.

Oh really? So now all of a sudden politicians can be trusted when it suits your agenda... Typical.

It's him or Quinn. You're trolling the everloving shit out of me with this "OH HURR YOU TRUST POLITSHINS NOW" crap. Don't waste my time.

Between him and Quinn, I pick Weiner. On policy, he's not as bad as her. I give two shits about who he sent dickpicks over Twitter.

I'm not clear on this particular aspect of this debate.

Quinn is a jackass, Weiner is less of a jackass. I, and couple of others, have tried to remind VIA that politicians are by and large pandering a**holes who don't actually give two shits about their constituents. VIA is like a teenage girl with the batshit adoration of pandering politicians. Apparently me saying that Weiner is less shitty than Quinn means I like politicians when it suits my "Agenda." I have no clue what my "agenda" is, but hey, that's trolling for you.

I do realize that this has become the anti-Quinn thread of choice, but can we please do this somewhere else and stop bumping old threads? Start a new one in off-topic if you like, but this stopped being (MTA) related long ago.

I'll stay on topic: City control isn't a particularly good idea. City would need to find the funding, and the experiment already failed decades ago when this city's sweet, caring politicians drove transit into the ground with low fares that were never adjusted for inflation to keep the sheep happy. So, yeah, unless the city discovers a hidden diamond mine under Hunts Point, not happening.

I do realize that this has become the anti-Quinn thread of choice, but can we please do this somewhere else and stop bumping old threads? Start a new one in off-topic if you like, but this stopped being (MTA) related long ago.

As the thread starter I personally don't mind it. To my recollection there was a thread for more formal discussion, but I believe it's now locked.

At this rate I don't care, if anything I just want to keep the thread open and avoid a flame war here.

I'll stay on topic: City control isn't a particularly good idea. City would need to find the funding, and the experiment already failed decades ago when this city's sweet, caring politicians drove transit into the ground with low fares that were never adjusted for inflation to keep the sheep happy. So, yeah, unless the city discovers a hidden diamond mine under Hunts Point, not happening.

I'll have to agree with this, that was my viewpoint on many threads on this politician endorsing this. I already explained why in the previous page in case anyone else is wondering.

She's calling bluff, lets be real about it, she's just looking for gravy points anyway. Typical knowing Quinn. The LGBT community hates her because to make a long story short she turned on them and she's a lesbian. laughable.

As the thread starter I personally don't mind it. To my recollection there was a thread for more formal discussion, but I believe it's now locked.

At this rate I don't care, if anything I just want to keep the thread open and avoid a flame war here.

I'm with you on that one. Let's reverse it with sensible comments shall we?

Also, guys, there are other candidates. It's not Weiner or Quinn. The person who I personally expect to win is Bill Thompson, and the person who I would *like* to win is Bill De Blasio. Quinn is corrupt and spineless -- and crucially, out of this -- and Weiner is a sleazy laughing stock who stands for nothing.

It's him or Quinn. You're trolling the everloving shit out of me with this "OH HURR YOU TRUST POLITSHINS NOW" crap. Don't waste my time.

Between him and Quinn, I pick Weiner. On policy, he's not as bad as her. I give two shits about who he sent dickpicks over Twitter.

I just find it interesting that you claim that politicians are pandering so much, yet you believe him when he says he didn't cheat.  No it's not a big deal, but if he lies about something so simple (which BTW he did when he lied and said that someone "hacked" his Twitter account :lol:), what else will he lie about? Oh I know, you agree with his policy more so that makes him less of a liar is that it??  <_<

Archived