Christine Quinn wants city, not MTA, to control subway and bus systems in the five boroughs

Turbo19

Also, guys, there are other candidates. It's not Weiner or Quinn. The person who I personally expect to win is Bill Thompson, and the person who I would *like* to win is Bill De Blasio. Quinn is corrupt and spineless -- and crucially, out of this -- and Weiner is a sleazy laughing stock who stands for nothing.

Bill Thompson in 2009, ran against and nearly defeated Mike Bloomberg in 2009 I remember that. His stance on the opposition of Bloomberg over his support against the stop and frisk policy and the fact he has the minority vote strong I would assume will make him the second black mayor in office in years. He knows about the issues apparently. Quote on quote "The problem with stop-and-frisk, the way it has been used, is it creates animosity, it creates separation and division” His approach towards reform of such policies instead of eradicating it to nothing is a good strategy on his part similar to Lhota which may get him the nomination. A Harlem resident, he may be sensitive to the issues. I think the only other candidate who comes close may be Lhota.

Notice my tone of my comment, I trust no politician whatsoever. It's always the same ol bullshit.

I just hope that he does not end up controlled and become a puppet like our president Barack Obama, far fetched but that's my fear. Overwhelmed by the demands of the majority conservative special interest groups. My two cents.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just find it interesting that you claim that politicians are pandering so much, yet you believe him when he says he didn't cheat.  No it's not a big deal, but if he lies about something so simple (which BTW he did when he lied and said that someone "hacked" his Twitter account :lol:), what else will he lie about? Oh I know, you agree with his policy more so that makes him less of a liar is that it??  <_<

Because there's no proof he cheated?

And no, me thinking he's not as bad as Quinn doesn't mean I believe him. If someone reveals he did in fact cheat, sucks for him.

You're also confused. A**hole demanding ferries, half express bus fare, double express bus service because (R) needs a transfer = pandering. Being not as big of a tight-ass who laughs at the competition and assumes victory =/= pandering. He's no saint, but he's not as bad as Quinn. Stop wasting my time with this bullshit.

Bill Thompson in 2009, ran against and nearly defeated Mike Bloomberg in 2009 I remember that. His stance on the opposition of Bloomberg over his support against the stop and frisk policy and the fact he has the minority vote strong I would assume will make him the second black mayor in office in years. He knows about the issues apparently. Quote on quote "The problem with stop-and-frisk, the way it has been used, is it creates animosity, it creates separation and division” His approach towards reform of such policies instead of eradicating it to nothing is a good strategy on his part similar to Lhota which may get him the nomination. A Harlem resident, he may be sensitive to the issues. I think the only other candidate who comes close may be Lhota.

Notice my tone of my comment, I trust no politician whatsoever. It's always the same ol bullshit.

I just hope that he does not end up controlled and become a puppet like our president Barack Obama, far fetched but that's my fear. Overwhelmed by the demands of the majority conservative special interest groups. My two cents.

Of course whoever wins will ignore all their campaign promises. They'll all do the same thing: pander to rich people, NIMBYs and lobbyists. The differences will be absolutely minimal. At this point, Quinn being an unbelievable douchebag means she is the most annoying choice. Weiner is the only guy who can beat her, so...him it is. And in the end they all suck on transit other than Albanese, but he's an independent and has no shot.

Because there's no proof he cheated?

And no, me thinking he's not as bad as Quinn doesn't mean I believe him. If someone reveals he did in fact cheat, sucks for him.

You're also confused. A**hole demanding ferries, half express bus fare, double express bus service because (R) needs a transfer = pandering. Being not as big of a tight-ass who laughs at the competition and assumes victory =/= pandering. He's no saint, but he's not as bad as Quinn. Stop wasting my time with this bullshit.

Of course whoever wins will ignore all their campaign promises. They'll all do the same thing: pander to rich people, NIMBYs and lobbyists. The differences will be absolutely minimal. At this point, Quinn being an unbelievable douchebag means she is the most annoying choice. Weiner is the only guy who can beat her, so...him it is. And in the end they all suck on transit other than Albanese, but he's an independent and has no shot.

So then if they all pander according to you, then what's the point of supporting anybody?  <_<  Why even bother to follow politics?

So then if they all pander according to you, then what's the point of supporting anybody?  <_<  Why even bother to follow politics?

Pick the lesser of all evils. That's what I do. They're all shit, just pick the one that will be least awful.

San Francisco (Muni), where bus operator pay is not negotiated but regulated by the City Charter.

Yes, that is true, however the city of San Francisco doesn't directly manage any of MUNI's operations.

Isn't SFMTA a municipal agency reporting directly to the mayor?

As of the year 1999 no. MUNI and all of it's services are managed by the independent San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.

It's him or Quinn. You're trolling the everloving shit out of me with this "OH HURR YOU TRUST POLITSHINS NOW" crap. Don't waste my time.

Between him and Quinn, I pick Weiner. On policy, he's not as bad as her. I give two shits about who he sent dickpicks over Twitter.

Both Quinn and Weiner would be bad for NYC

Hey, I like Sal Albanese, too, but he ain't winning.

I feel like New Yorkers' overly cynical attitude about these kinda things is why these people never win in the first place.

Honestly, some guy better make Albanese head of DOT or something. He's got a good head on his shoulders.

I feel like New Yorkers' overly cynical attitude about these kinda things is why these people never win in the first place.

Honestly, some guy better make Albanese head of DOT or something. He's got a good head on his shoulders.

Precisely why he will not go far in this state !  

That's the problem. He has actual thought-out ideas that could work. The electorate doesn't want that, they want bullshit pandering.

That's the problem. He has actual thought-out ideas that could work. The electorate doesn't want that, they want bullshit pandering.

This is, of course, assuming the electorate comes out to vote. A significant amount of people don't vote unless it's time to elect a President again. (Pandering is also more effective on older voters, who also vote in bigger numbers.)

• 3 weeks later...

I found Quinn's article about MNRR.

http://www.quinnfornewyork.com/metronorth

Quinn Calls for MTA to Prioritize Metro North Service Expansion in Bronx, Helping Reduce Commuters’ Travel Time and Spur Job Creation

Standing outside the Parkchester 6 train subway station in the Bronx with State Senator Gustavo Rivera and Council Member Annabel Palma, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn today called on the MTA to make the expansion of Metro North service in the East Bronx a priority, citing its great potential to attract new businesses, create jobs in the neighborhoods surrounding the new stops, and ability to reduce commute times for Bronx residents. 

Currently, only the 6 train line and express bus service are available in many East Bronx neighborhoods, despite the fact that Metro North lines runs throughout the borough. In many cases, it can take Bronx Residents nearly an hour to get from neighborhoods such as Parkchester to midtown Manhattan. The addition of Metro North stops in Co-Op City, Morris Park, Parkchester and Hunts Point will help many residents commuting both to and from Manhattan or other Bronx neighborhoods to reduce their commute times by upwards of 25 minutes, giving the more time each week to spend with their family or earning a paycheck. Quinn has set a goal as mayor to ensure all commute times throughout New York are no longer than one hour, by 2023.

Citing the substantial City and private investment in the Hudson Yards neighborhood after the MTA committed to extending the 7 train, Quinn noted that the MTA’s commitment to additional Metro North stops in the Bronx would similarly drive new businesses and residents to locate in these neighborhoods.

“By using our transit system as a tool for economic growth, we can create more jobs in the Bronx and neighborhoods throughout the city while reducing commutes for tens of thousands of New Yorkers. As many I intend to press the MTA to prioritize the development of these stops, not just to bring Bronx residents’ to their jobs in Manhattan, but bring more jobs to the Bronx. A commitment to additional Metro North stops in the East Bronx will rightly signal to both the City and private investors that the borough is a viable and attractive place to live and do business.”

”Four new Metro North stops in the East Bronx will open up the area to new investment, bring good jobs and improve the quality of life of Bronx residents who have long commutes to work.” said State Senator Gustavo Rivera. “Chris has a record of delivering results, not only for Bronx residents, but for those living in all five boroughs and I know she will continue to do so as our city’s next Mayor.”

“The more we invest in expanding transportation options in the Bronx, the greater the benefit for both the local economy and Bronx residents,” said Council Member Annabel Palma. “By bringing more jobs to Bronx neighborhoods and speeding up commute times to and from Manhattan, Chris’s plan will allow New Yorkers to spending more time with their families and earning a paycheck.”

Today’s press conference comes on the heels of other transportation proposals Quinn has made this week which include accelerating the implementation of a no-swipe MetroCard system, requiring subway and bus announcements to be made in Spanish and other languages and installing countdown clocks above ground at subway stops. Quinn kicked off the week by joining Staten Island resident Yanela Tamayo on her hour-plus long commute via express bus and subway to highlight her goal to have Mayoral control of the MTA and have no New Yorker have a commute of longer than one hour.

Archived