Prendergast Picked to Run MTA

BreeddekalbL

just breaking now

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324695104578418620443383156.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo named Thomas Prendergast as chairman and CEO of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, ending a period of more than 100 days without a permanent leader atop the nation's largest public-transit agency.

The choice of Mr. Prendergast, a veteran transportation executive who currently serves as the MTA's interim executive director, marks a bid for continuity in Mr. Cuomo's second attempt at putting a personal stamp on the $13 billion agency. He replaces Joseph Lhota, who served less than a full year as MTA chairman before departing at the end of 2012 to run for New York City mayor as a Republican.

In a four-decade transit career in the U.S. and Canada, Mr. Prendergast has run commuter railroads and rapid-transit lines, including some of the systems in the MTA's own portfolio. Mr. Cuomo described him as "a consummate public transit leader" with "vast experience in infrastructure and transportation."

"From the track bed to the budget to modernizing our system for the 21st Century, I can't imagine anyone having a better understanding of how the region's vast system operates and the challenges that it faces," Mr. Cuomo said.

The long wait for a new chairman had raised some eyebrows among transit experts and had meant double duty for Mr. Prendergast, who was still serving as president of the MTA's New York City Transit division, which oversees a vast network of subways and buses, while also serving as interim executive director.

Prendergast knows a hundred times more what needs to be done than Ferrer. You can't even compare the two. I know you are partial to Ferrer because he's from the Bronx.

Of course... He was raised in the Bronx but that's irrelevant because he's not in the Bronx anymore, but rather here in Riverdale so I know that he would look out for us at least to some degree.  :D I know he commutes to and from here daily because I've seen him on MetroNorth in the morning so he knows the transit issues here and what problems we have.  I think he and another fellow Riverdalian (Charles Moerdler) that's on the (MTA) board pushed to get some better service on one bus line and Moerdler also pushed to have the Hudson Rail Link bus serve more areas of Riverdale.

Of course... He was raised in the Bronx but that's irrelevant because he's not in the Bronx anymore, but rather here in Riverdale so I know that he would look out for us at least to some degree.  :D I know he commutes to and from here daily because I've seen him on MetroNorth in the morning so he knows the transit issues here and what problems we have.  I think he and another fellow Riverdalian (Charles Moerdler) that's on the (MTA) board pushed to get some better service on one bus line and Moerdler also pushed to have the Hudson Rail Link bus serve more areas of Riverdale.

-_- Riverdale is still in the Bronx...

-_- Riverdale is still in the Bronx...

You're just giving him a chance to rant about "blah blah blah we're affluent and suburban and technically part of the Bronx, but we're a different world blah blah blah".

It's also funny how he talks about the Hudson Rail Link extension being a good thing, whereas before, he's saying "Oh, extending the S89 (when it was making it marginally shorter) would be like extending one of our Hudson Rail Link buses, which would be bad"

You're just giving him a chance to rant about "blah blah blah we're affluent and suburban and technically part of the Bronx, but we're a different world blah blah blah".

It's also funny how he talks about the Hudson Rail Link extension being a good thing, whereas before, he's saying "Oh, extending the S89 (when it was making it marginally shorter) would be like extending one of our Hudson Rail Link buses, which would be bad"

He doesn't TECHNICALLY live in the Bronx he LIVES in the Bronx. PERIOD.

Prendergast has much more experience the guy has nearly 40 years of experience in the transportation industry.

Prendergast has much more experience the guy has nearly 40 years of experience in the transportation industry.

Big deal... We've seen what the last so called folks with "experience" have done... Now of course Prendergast has experience but Ferrer was the former borough president of the Bronx and has done a nice job filling in the role. Quite frankly it may not be a bad idea to have someone from a different sector come in.

Big deal... We've seen what the last so called folks with "experience" have done... Now of course Prendergast has experience but Ferrer was the former borough president of the Bronx and has done a nice job filling in the role. Quite frankly it may not be a bad idea to have someone from a different sector come in.

It's not a matter of running a borough of a city it's a matter of running a transit agency.

Excuse me but it wasn't an extension. One stop was added to give more people in the area access to the service which it went by anyway so it wasn't an extension.  One has nothing to do with the other... Completely different situations, period.

It's not a matter of running a borough of a city it's a matter of running a transit agency.

I know what it's a matter of.  A borough president has to deal with all facets of that borough including transportation, so while he may not have the experience of Prendergast, it's not like he's completely oblivious to the subject.  Furthermore, Ferrer has done just fine filling in, so he obviously wasn't too bad if he was chosen to take over the role temporarily.

He doesn't TECHNICALLY live in the Bronx he LIVES in the Bronx. PERIOD.

Why are you telling me this? I'm not the one denying that Riverdale is in The Bronx.

Excuse me but it wasn't an extension. One stop was added to give more people in the area access to the service which it went by anyway so it wasn't an extension.  One has nothing to do with the other... Completely different situations, period.

Well, he must be obsessed with making the buses fuller, right? After all, "That's like saying oh the Hudson Rail Link shuttles could be fuller so why don't we extend them to make more stops..." Mine wasn't an extension either (and for that matter, it wouldn't add any stops), so even if he was only adding a stop, that same logic should apply.

Why are you telling me this? I'm not the one denying that Riverdale is in The Bronx.

Well, he must be obsessed with making the buses fuller, right? After all, "That's like saying oh the Hudson Rail Link shuttles could be fuller so why don't we extend them to make more stops..." Mine wasn't an extension either (and for that matter, it wouldn't add any stops), so even if he was only adding a stop, that same logic should apply.

I was just saying.

Well, he must be obsessed with making the buses fuller, right? After all, "That's like saying oh the Hudson Rail Link shuttles could be fuller so why don't we extend them to make more stops..." Mine wasn't an extension either (and for that matter, it wouldn't add any stops), so even if he was only adding a stop, that same logic should apply.

He wasn't obsessed with anything. The community asked for the stop #1 AND #2 there was NO alternative to reach MetroNorth stations.  That S89 situation is not necessary.  The S44 and S94 is sufficient enough.  If it's that big of a deal they can run a few more S94's and be done with it.  The S89 already has a purpose which you just refuse to accept.  Whether or not you want to accept it that is your choice and if you feel so strongly about it then take it up with the (MTA) or your local representatives and see what they say. I'd be shocked if they went along with your idea since you seem to think it's so popular with other riders. Now SI Mall goers would support it of course.  Who wouldn't want more service? On the same token, I think it's overkill and it would be unfair to S89 riders who really need the service to get to and from NJ to get to and from work.

I mean really.... All of these damn buses running down Richmond Avenue... There's more than enough service for folks to get to where they need to go and I see no need to go tweaking the S89 to suite SI Mall goers doing nothing but going shopping mainly anyway in most cases.  They've got the S79 which has SBS service damn there all day to the SI Mall and I don't care if it runs down Hylan.  The point is there's enough bus service serving the SI Mall. How much more friggin limited stop service do they need?   <_<   

Yes, run more NB S94s in the AM when the mall isn't open, and run more SB S94s in the PM when the mall's about to close. That sounds smart to me. :rolleyes: (And you're going to come in with a stupid comment about "Oh, I didn't mention a specific time or direction") Aside from that, I couldn't care less about whether it's limited-stop service (which apparently you think I do, with the way you're talking about the S79 & S94), because a lot of the local buses make only a couple of stops (or even no stops) between Richmond Hill & Victory anyway. (Besides, the S94 doesn't start running limited-stop until east of Jewett Avenue, which you would know if you weren't scared of all the blacks & hispanics on it).

If I wanted to, I could take it directly to the MTA. With my S67 proposal, I personally met with two trained professionals, and they still couldn't find any flaws in my proposal. B-) I doubt it would be any different if I were to take this proposal to them. The problem is that I have my own things to do, so I don't have time to be breathing down everybody's neck to get them to do the research. Unfortunately, it's always easier to keep the status quo. Hopefully, in a few years, they'll wake up and realize something's wrong.

I notice you're also ignoring the main part of my proposal, which was to move the S44/59 to the back of the mall (whether it's Marsh Avenue, which means the S89 would be unchanged, or Ring Road), where the people actually live. I've spoken to a bunch of people personally, who don't like walking through the whole parking lot (which can be desolate in the morning) just to reach the S44/59. But again, it would require a lot of time and effort to breath down the people's necks who are supposed to be working on this.

I still don't see how it would be "unfair" if it's not taking them any longer (They'll avoid a couple of traffic lights, so if anything, it might shave off a minute or two). So they'll share the bus with a few more people. Big deal. The effect is no worse than adding a stop to the Hudson Rail Link shuttle. And every portion of Riverdale has access to Metro-North. Just take the Bx7/9/20 to Marble Hill and you're done. So if you're going to talk about how mall-goers have enough service (which BTW, there's also people making transfers there too, so it's not just people shopping), then whatever part of Riverdale that the shuttle bus has a new stop in also had enough service.

=========================================

In any case, as far as Prendergast goes, relates to what I hope he'll bring to the table as CEO. I hope he'll pay attention to ways to use existing resources more effectively (that proposal I was referring to would be one example of using resources more effectively, and then of course there's putting deadheading buses into service). And I also hope he'll look at ways to improve underperforming routes, and stop with this nonsense of creating these weird shuttles that run every half-hour, or things like that B67 extension, and instead try to restructure the current routes to serve these new markets.

I personally don't care who this guy is, where he was raised, or what borough he "rep(ped)".....

I mean shit, Walder bailed to go run HK's system, Lhota used his former position as a stepping stone to go run off for mayor....

So now we have Mr. Prendergast here....

Enough is enough already.... Tired of getting caught up on who these people are as people; expecting the best out of them due to their reputation - to later have them jump ship... If you're gonna accept an egghead role/position, stay there for the longhaul & finish the job...

Yes, run more NB S94s in the AM when the mall isn't open, and run more SB S94s in the PM when the mall's about to close. That sounds smart to me. :rolleyes: (And you're going to come in with a stupid comment about "Oh, I didn't mention a specific time or direction") Aside from that, I couldn't care less about whether it's limited-stop service (which apparently you think I do, with the way you're talking about the S79 & S94), because a lot of the local buses make only a couple of stops (or even no stops) between Richmond Hill & Victory anyway. (Besides, the S94 doesn't start running limited-stop until east of Jewett Avenue, which you would know if you weren't scared of all the blacks & hispanics on it).

If I wanted to, I could take it directly to the MTA. With my S67 proposal, I personally met with two trained professionals, and they still couldn't find any flaws in my proposal. B-) I doubt it would be any different if I were to take this proposal to them. The problem is that I have my own things to do, so I don't have time to be breathing down everybody's neck to get them to do the research. Unfortunately, it's always easier to keep the status quo. Hopefully, in a few years, they'll wake up and realize something's wrong.

I notice you're also ignoring the main part of my proposal, which was to move the S44/59 to the back of the mall (whether it's Marsh Avenue, which means the S89 would be unchanged, or Ring Road), where the people actually live. I've spoken to a bunch of people personally, who don't like walking through the whole parking lot (which can be desolate in the morning) just to reach the S44/59. But again, it would require a lot of time and effort to breath down the people's necks who are supposed to be working on this.

I still don't see how it would be "unfair" if it's not taking them any longer (They'll avoid a couple of traffic lights, so if anything, it might shave off a minute or two). So they'll share the bus with a few more people. Big deal. The effect is no worse than adding a stop to the Hudson Rail Link shuttle. And every portion of Riverdale has access to Metro-North. Just take the Bx7/9/20 to Marble Hill and you're done. So if you're going to talk about how mall-goers have enough service (which BTW, there's also people making transfers there too, so it's not just people shopping), then whatever part of Riverdale that the shuttle bus has a new stop in also had enough service.

=========================================

In any case, as far as Prendergast goes, relates to what I hope he'll bring to the table as CEO. I hope he'll pay attention to ways to use existing resources more effectively (that proposal I was referring to would be one example of using resources more effectively, and then of course there's putting deadheading buses into service). And I also hope he'll look at ways to improve underperforming routes, and stop with this nonsense of creating these weird shuttles that run every half-hour, or things like that B67 extension, and instead try to restructure the current routes to serve these new markets.

Um... No.... Clearly you have no idea where the Hudson Rail Link buses run at nor their function.  The Bx9 serves Broadway which is nowhere near to where this stop is so I don't know why that route was even mentioned.  The Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 do not run anywhere west of the Henry Hudson Parkway which means that you would be forcing those people to schlepp over to unreliable buses that elongate their commutes and potentially overcrowd the Marble Hill station when they have a bus running right by them that MEETS directly with ALL MetroNorth trains in their own community.  Truckie who is a MetroNorth employee and works on Hudson line even acknowledged that he would use the Hudson Rail Link buses if he lived in Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil and mentioned how many people use the shuttle buses.  They're extremely convenient, reliable and it makes no sense to go to Marble Hill when they have two stations serving their needs.  In any event, the community had their say on what serves this area best and that's that, period.

As for the this SI Mall proposal that you keep going on and on about you don't need to convince me.  Go on and take it to the (MTA) and stop making excuses about how you don't have the time.  If you don't have the time to take up the proposal why even bother to bring it up for?  What I don't understand is why is the S89 even involved if it's all about the S44/S94... You know exactly what the S89 was created for and that was getting working folks on Staten Island to and from NJ or Manhattan who previously had limited options... Nothing more nothing less, so the fact that the S89 keeps entering the picture leads me to believe that it's about wanting limited stop service.  If it isn't about that then it's about door to door service and for that there's something called car service, which plenty of people use to get to and from the SI Mall if they don't want to drive or use the numerous buses already serving Richmond Avenue.  If it's about the S44, then propose to have the damn line tweaked and be done with it.  Done.

Now to address your other comment about "weird" shuttles, they're weird to you because you don't use them or rely on them.    The communities that received the new routes apparently need them but nevermind that. You think they're weird so therefore they shouldn't exist.

I regret that post I made. How does this have anything to do with Prendergast being elevated to Chairman of the MTA?

I personally don't care who this guy is, where he was raised, or what borough he "rep(ped)".....

I mean shit, Walder bailed to go run HK's system, Lhota used his former position as a stepping stone to go run off for mayor....

So now we have Mr. Prendergast here....

Enough is enough already.... Tired of getting caught up on who these people are as people; expecting the best out of them due to their reputation - to later have them jump ship... If you're gonna accept an egghead role/position, stay there for the longhaul & finish the job...

Exactly. Don't take the job if you aren't planning to keep it for a while and do something good with it.

I regret that post I made. How does this have anything to do with Prendergast being elevated to Chairman of the MTA?

No you don't...

Prendergast knows a hundred times more what needs to be done than Ferrer. You can't even compare the two. I know you are partial to Ferrer because he's from the Bronx.

I do have a question for you though... Prendergast already had a high up position before being selected by Cuomo... I forget the exact title, but I'm almost inclined to say that there are too many hands in the pot....

A Borough President gives you an idea of how to deal with constituencies, but the MTA job is so much more than that.  You have to run a system.  That means you can't give in to every NIMBY protest like Ferrer might do.  Besides Prendergast is from a different sector. Both Walder and Lhota were finance people.  That was part of the problem.  

Yes Walder previously worked for NYCT, but he only knew the system from the budget end of it and his only other interest was investing new technology. And he didn't care much for the unions. That was his problem.  I wouldn't call hum a transit expert. What did he know about actual operations or planning?  I don't think very much.

Lhota strictly knew finances.  His knowledge of the system was limited to the lines he rode.

Ferrer's expertise is the Bronx.  There are four other boroughs. He wasn't at the MTA long enough to draw conclusions if he was good or bad at his job. 

That's what makes Prendergast different.  He has broad experience. Just look at his resume. And I think he will stick around for five or six years. Don't believe at his stage in his life he is looking to use this as a stepping stone for a more lucrative job elsewhere. 

Um... No.... Clearly you have no idea where the Hudson Rail Link buses run at nor their function.  The Bx9 serves Broadway which is nowhere near to where this stop is so I don't know why that route was even mentioned.  The Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 do not run anywhere west of the Henry Hudson Parkway which means that you would be forcing those people to schlepp over to unreliable buses that elongate their commutes and potentially overcrowd the Marble Hill station when they have a bus running right by them that MEETS directly with ALL MetroNorth trains in their own community.  Truckie who is a MetroNorth employee and works on Hudson line even acknowledged that he would use the Hudson Rail Link buses if he lived in Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil and mentioned how many people use the shuttle buses.  They're extremely convenient, reliable and it makes no sense to go to Marble Hill when they have two stations serving their needs.  In any event, the community had their say on what serves this area best and that's that, period.

As for the this SI Mall proposal that you keep going on and on about you don't need to convince me.  Go on and take it to the (MTA) and stop making excuses about how you don't have the time.  If you don't have the time to take up the proposal why even bother to bring it up for?  What I don't understand is why is the S89 even involved if it's all about the S44/S94... You know exactly what the S89 was created for and that was getting working folks on Staten Island to and from NJ or Manhattan who previously had limited options... Nothing more nothing less, so the fact that the S89 keeps entering the picture leads me to believe that it's about wanting limited stop service.  If it isn't about that then it's about door to door service and for that there's something called car service, which plenty of people use to get to and from the SI Mall if they don't want to drive or use the numerous buses already serving Richmond Avenue.  If it's about the S44, then propose to have the damn line tweaked and be done with it.  Done.

Now to address your other comment about "weird" shuttles, they're weird to you because you don't use them or rely on them.    The communities that received the new routes apparently need them but nevermind that. You think they're weird so therefore they shouldn't exist.

Well, you never mentioned where the stop was added, so I'm covering all the bases. If it's closer to Broadway, there's the Bx9 to Marble Hill. If it's closer to Riverdale Avenue, there's the Bx7 & Bx20 to Marble Hill. You said "there was NO alternative to reach MetroNorth stations". The last time I checked Marble Hill was a Metro-North station. Aside from that, it's one bus stop worth of people. It's not going to overcrowd Marble Hill.

Most people don't have time to actually bring their proposals to the MTA. I don't know about you, but the rest of us have something called lives.

You don't understand why the S89 is involved? Well, you are a little slow in the head, so that's not too surprising.

Yes, I'm going to wait 30 minutes for a bus that might save me 2-3 minutes tops. That'll be really smart.  :rolleyes: But again, more evidence that you're not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. And if it's supposedly about door-to-door service, then explain to me which two destinations I'm trying to provide this service between.

Well, let's take the Bx46 for instance. As of now, it's a little tiny shuttle from Hunts Point to Longwood. The community asked for it to be extended further west to either Yankee Stadium or the Hub. Why? Because it would be accessable to more people. Instead of just serving people in Longwood (and those coming off the subway and Bx6/17/19), it would provide connections to a bunch of other bus routes, and serve more residential neighborhoods. Again, the community wants this (and it's listed starting on page 155 of this document), and I happen to agree.

Let's take the B84. For starters, in order to pay for this, the MTA replaced the B6 LTD with the B6 local in that neighborhood, which means that service is less frequent (not to mention the locals are more unreliable, since they're going all the way out to East NY instead of ending at Canarsie). Second of all, this was the perfect opportunity to serve the new housing by the Gateway Mall, as well as straighten out the other bus lines in that area. I've taken the B15 & B83 in that neighborhood, and I know a lot of people take the B15 from the Pink/Cypress Houses (and the surrounding area) over to the (3), because the B20 is too indirect. I also know that a lot of people in Starrett City have to deal with the B83 taking Van Siclen Avenue, when Pennsylvania Avenue is more direct. So there's the opportunity to benefit the whole neighborhood, and instead, they're running a little shuttle from Gateway to the (3), that misses all the new housing that was built.

The B67 is going to become more unreliable on both ends of the route because of the new extension, when there were plenty of other options to serve the Navy Yard. (B69 reroute, B57 reroute, splitting the B57 and attaching the Navy Yard portion to the southern end of the split, etc)

I never said not to create new routes, or find ways to better-serve communities. If you're going to spend the money to do it, do it right, and don't just make weird little shuttles with crummy headways (unless for some reason, a weird little shuttle works best).

Prendergast seems like a person that can focus on both operational aspects of the MTA as well as long-term plans (though I havem't seen him take on any real long-term issues as of yet, like pensions or whatnot) so I think it will be a good choice. Not shocked he was chosen, since he has basically been running the show since Lhota left. If Lhota were to win the mayoral race, I think that might solve VG8's wish to have more city-state communication for the MTA, since he and Pendergast seem to get along well enough. Maybe MTA riders will actuall come out on top from this. 

Archived