Lower Montauk Branch

nostalgia

The LIRR used to operate two revenue trains Monday-Friday on the Montauk Branch between Long Island City and Jamaica. The afternoon train was rerouted to Hunterspoint Avenue to replace a cancelled train during the 2010 reductions. The Hunterpoint timetable shows a train leaving Jamaica in the morning that goes to LIC without stopping at Hunterspoint. Does this train, #507 from Oyster Bay, still travel on the Montauk Branch to LIC.

I read on another forum that only the NY &Atlantic uses the branch and #507 uses the Main Line to LIC but skips Hunterspoint as a stop. Only a LIRR ETT has the answer. (Maybe I can buy one at the GCT railroadiana show in May.)

507 uses the Main Line now. The Lower Montauk is now a NYAR secondary. The only ETT that would have the answer is the current one, as the changeover happened 11/12/2012.

My interpretation is that the MTA sold the Lower Montauk to the NYAR and deadhead LIRR trains no longer use the Lower Montauk between LIC and Jamaica.

My interpretation is that the MTA sold the Lower Montauk to the NYAR and deadhead LIRR trains no longer use the Lower Montauk between LIC and Jamaica.

Correct. Read the description of this video:

Apparently LIRR even needs NYAR permission for emergency equipment moves and they aren't just rubber-stamping.

LIRR sold the Lower Montauk months ago. As a result no LIRR trains operate on the branch except for MOW trains with MP15s and SW's. NYAR gives LIRR yard space at Fresh Pond to store MOW cars (gondolas, welded rail cars, etc). But still LIRR must obtain permission from NYAR to use the branch.

Correct. Read the description of this video:

Apparently LIRR even needs NYAR permission for emergency equipment moves and they aren't just rubber-stamping.

Well the move that day wasn't so much an emergency. They just wanted to get the equipment out while they had an on-duty protect crew.

Also here is a kinda recent video of LIRR in Fresh Pond:

The section of the yard you see him pull out of @ 3:42 is the section that NYAR gave to LIRR to store their cars.

Archived