Question regarding X17 Stop in Brooklyn

MattTrain

I have a question regarding the X17 stop in Brooklyn.

It has a Manhattan bound stop at 86 Street/Dahlgren Place.

It also has a Staten Island bound stop at 86 Street/Gatling Place shown here!

536875_10151445861668780_1105202048_n.jp

Is it a drop off stop only or can you board the bus from here to Staten Island? 

People on here have mentioned that they've seen people boarding to go back to SI (and at the stop in the opposite direction, they've gotten off a Manhattan-bound bus). I'm not sure of what the official policy is with that stop, but I'd assume most drivers wouldn't have a problem with you getting on over there. (I mean, it can save you a bunch of time, over having to take the S53/79 into SI, and probably have to make a transfer)

Don't count on waiting for the bus at that stop. If a passenger on the bus doesn't request getting off there, there's a chance the driver may not even exit the expressway onto the service road.

Don't count on waiting for the bus at that stop. If a passenger on the bus doesn't request getting off there, there's a chance the driver may not even exit the expressway onto the service road.

Yep... I wouldn't count on it either.  It's all up to the driver and if no one is getting off they may not stop there because I get the feeling that those stops are indeed unofficial for people to get on or get off... There are quite a few unofficial stops where people try to get on that are Drop-Off only stops and some drivers let the folks on and some drivers don't.  The official rule is still that express buses are for commuter travel TO and FROM Manhattan and that's one reason they did away with the X25 and X90.  It wasn't just the ridership issue but they don't want people using express buses for intraborough travel, at least not officially.

It's possible that it could be a mistake.  There are quite a few express bus stops like that and they are indeed mistakes. The folks at the DOT don't have a clue.  I've seen X4 express bus stops on Madison Avenue when the X4 doesn't even go to Midtown.

Yeah, I already tried on two separate occasions to catch the x17 there..... The first saturday I tried, the bus didn't even go up the ramp (it stayed on the highway.. I was hot [pissed] that day too)... The second time I tried, a couple ppl. actually got off... I attempted to get on, and the b/o gave me the wave (as if to say, you can't board here).... That's the day I walked over to the S79....

On the other end on another occasion (meaning, manhattan bound), I boarded w/ no problems... Was surprised to have gotten a seat....

Yeah, I already tried on two separate occasions to catch the x17 there..... The first saturday I tried, the bus didn't even go up the ramp (it stayed on the highway.. I was hot [pissed] that day too)... The second time I tried, a couple ppl. actually got off... I attempted to get on, and the b/o gave me the wave (as if to say, you can't board here).... That's the day I walked over to the S79....

On the other end on another occasion (meaning, manhattan bound), I boarded w/ no problems... Was surprised to have gotten a seat....

LOL! I have to laugh because I could picture that too... If they do let anyone get on there it's only because they're being nice and they may allow it if they know the person or are in a good mood, otherwise they won't allow it, esp. the ones that are strict about the rules.  Some of them don't want to chance it and if someone is watching that could be their @ss right there, or better yet the person slips and falls or something and the first thing management would say is you know that stop is a Drop-off only stop so why are you picking passengers there??

There was a lady that used to take the X16 that would try to be slick.  She was determined that she was going to take the express bus to work without having to deal with the local bus. The thing is she lived on Forest but up by Silver Lake Park, so in the morning she would take the X30 and get off by Forest and Manor or further down Forest by Jewett and get the X14 if she wanted to stop off for her coffee and cigarette.  <_<

That set up was okay because it's technically open door, but she would try that routine going home too... I'd be on the X30 and there she is after she's taken the X14 trying to transfer to the X30 at a Drop-Off only stop.  Of course most drivers knew the whole the X16 situation with it being discontinued so some were nice and would let her on, but some would not.  :lol: I had to admit that I would chuckle because she would be there just waiving and motioning and some B/Os would just look at her like you know this is a Drop-off only stop so don't even try it.  

That X17 set up will only continue if some B/O's allow it because I can tell you right now.... If I see a B/O constantly picking up passengers at drop-off only stops I write in because drop-off only means just that.  It opens up a can of worms and it slows everyone else down.  There was an incident not too long ago where I got pissed off...  BxM2 driver stops at 72nd & Columbus at a drop-off stop.  This moron wants to get on when he could take a cab or the M7. Then he starts asking him where he goes and yada yada yada and we're sitting there and sitting there and I could feel myself getting irritated.  After a while I had enough and the guy didn't even have the right card to get on anyway so I wrote in because some B/O's get a little too carried away with it and the next thing you know you're sitting there and a commute that should be 40 minutes is now over an hour with them answering questions with all of the damn tourists about where said bus goes and where do they get said bus, etc., etc., etc. when they should be directing them to the local buses, closing the door and keeping it moving and getting us to our destination quickly, hence the term express bus, not let me let everyone on that's going somewhere in NYC.  

With that said though, I don't blame you for trying. I used to do it here and there but only during pick up segments or actual transfer points otherwise I don't bother because I know how irritated I get, but in some cases it can save you a good amount of time.

I do know for a fact that X17 riders were not at all thrilled with that stop being added on weekends, so I could certainly see some of them writing in about it.

Well the only reason that stop is even there is because there's no X28. I don't think the MTA plans to add weekend service on the X28 anytime soon so it's an alternative for riders who want to go to Bensonhurst and they can just transfer to the B1 or walk to the B16. It may not be a one-seat ride but you can't always get everything you want.

Well the only reason that stop is even there is because there's no X28. I don't think the MTA plans to add weekend service on the X28 anytime soon so it's an alternative for riders who want to go to Bensonhurst and they can just transfer to the B1 or walk to the B16. It may not be a one-seat ride but you can't always get everything you want.

If more funding becomes available, the constituents in the areas served by the X28 intend to press the (MTA) to restore the X28 fully on weekends, so for now you're right, there's just the X17, but the X17 really only benefits folks in the immediate Dyker Heights area. Anyone in Bensonhurst or further down in Sea Gate can forget it.  For the folks in Sea Gate I'm sure most of them drive anyway, but folks in Bensonhurst would use the bus.

DUDE tell that to BM5/4 riders who don't even use their saturday bus. X28 unlike those buses deserves full saturday service it's weekend ridership was way higher than any BM route yet the BMs keep saturday service at X28's expense BS COMPLETE BULL. No offence. 

Based upon previous ridership, I see the X28 Saturday service returning at hourly frequencies with limited span of operation from Canal Av, but not on Sundays.

The X28 is 5th in terms of ridership out of all NYCT express buses so just giving it Saturday service would not suffice. It deserves Saturday and Sunday service and I'd run it every hour on Sundays and every 30 minutes to an hour on Saturdays depending on the time.

DUDE tell that to BM5/4 riders who don't even use their saturday bus. X28 unlike those buses deserves full saturday service it's weekend ridership was way higher than any BM route yet the BMs keep saturday service at X28's expense BS COMPLETE BULL. No offence. 

Dude just shut up already with the BM4/BM5 nonsense.  The BM4 stops running at 14:50 to the city on Saturdays and at 18:20 back to the city.  The BM5 only runs to the city until 13:15 and the last run back to Brooklyn is at 18:00. Neither has Sunday service.  There are people that rely on those buses that need to go to work or what have you and it would be irresponsible to end their service outright.  The BM4 and BM5 costs are covered mainly by the city.  The (MTA) pays for the X28 and there wasn't enough money to return it fully nor enough ridership to justify bringing it back at its old headways on the weekends.  BM4 and BM5 service has been slashed significantly so there really isn't too much more to cut without doing away with Saturday service altogether.

Think about what you're saying here....

LOL! I have to laugh because I could picture that too... If they do let anyone get on there it's only because they're being nice and they may allow it if they know the person or are in a good mood, otherwise they won't allow it, esp. the ones that are strict about the rules.  Some of them don't want to chance it and if someone is watching that could be their @ss right there, or better yet the person slips and falls or something and the first thing management would say is you know that stop is a Drop-off only stop so why are you picking passengers there??

See, that's just it.... I didn't go in full knowing that it was only a drop-off stop towards SI....

I'm well aware of the risks of b/o's picking up pax at drop-off stops (or at some point along the route not at a bus stop) & would not try to board at a stop I know is a drop-off only stop..... I'm not in it to get those guys in trouble.... The only reason I tried the 2nd time was because the first time I tried, the bus never stopped off in Brooklyn....

...That X17 set up will only continue if some B/O's allow it because I can tell you right now.... If I see a B/O constantly picking up passengers at drop-off only stops I write in because drop-off only means just that.  It opens up a can of worms and it slows everyone else down.  There was an incident not too long ago where I got pissed off...  BxM2 driver stops at 72nd & Columbus at a drop-off stop.  This moron wants to get on when he could take a cab or the M7. Then he starts asking him where he goes and yada yada yada and we're sitting there and sitting there and I could feel myself getting irritated.  After a while I had enough and the guy didn't even have the right card to get on anyway so I wrote in because some B/O's get a little too carried away with it and the next thing you know you're sitting there and a commute that should be 40 minutes is now over an hour with them answering questions with all of the damn tourists about where said bus goes and where do they get said bus, etc., etc., etc. when they should be directing them to the local buses, closing the door and keeping it moving and getting us to our destination quickly, hence the term express bus, not let me let everyone on that's going somewhere in NYC.  

With that said though, I don't blame you for trying. I used to do it here and there but only during pick up segments or actual transfer points otherwise I don't bother because I know how irritated I get, but in some cases it can save you a good amount of time.

I do know for a fact that X17 riders were not at all thrilled with that stop being added on weekends, so I could certainly see some of them writing in about it.

Lol @ that situation w/ that lady on the x16....

But yeah, quite frankly, I didn't think the Brooklyn stop on the x17 would last this long....

As for the jerkoffs that try to board the expresses like they would locals, don't you just love those types? We get them on the BM's also... The same ones that wanna stand there & try to talk the b/o into dropping them off along the route w/i Manhattan (there was one guy some months back as I was heading home, that actually wanted the b/o to drop him off in battery park city).... Stop wasting everyone's time & go the f*** on already.... I'm convinced that the people that do that shit know that they're express buses, but act stupefied like they don't know otherwise.... I'm starting to also be convinced that these are the same people that don't want the local in the first place; they don't wanna walk over & down to the nearest subway & they get fed up with tryna find an on duty cab - b/c more often than not, they have that *I'm in a bit of a hurry, just let me on* kind of demeanor....

It's a pickup and dropoff express bus stop in Brooklyn. I don't even know why the MTA would bother adding a Brooklyn bus stop for the X17, when they would've reinstated weekend service on the X27 and X28 (for the X28; it should have all of its trips originate/terminate and Sea Gate with the X38). Maybe even add late night service to those bus routes and extend them to 2 different sides of Midtown Manhattan via 57th St (X27: West Midtown, X28: East Midtown).

Think about what you're saying here....

See, that's just it.... I didn't go in full knowing that it was only a drop-off stop towards SI....

I'm well aware of the risks of b/o's picking up pax at drop-off stops (or at some point along the route not at a bus stop) & would not try to board at a stop I know is a drop-off only stop..... I'm not in it to get those guys in trouble.... The only reason I tried the 2nd time was because the first time I tried, the bus never stopped off in Brooklyn....

Lol @ that situation w/ that lady on the x16....

But yeah, quite frankly, I didn't think the Brooklyn stop on the x17 would last this long....

As for the jerkoffs that try to board the expresses like they would locals, don't you just love those types? We get them on the BM's also... The same ones that wanna stand there & try to talk the b/o into dropping them off along the route w/i Manhattan (there was one guy some months back as I was heading home, that actually wanted the b/o to drop him off in battery park city).... Stop wasting everyone's time & go the f*** on already.... I'm convinced that the people that do that shit know that they're express buses, but act stupefied like they don't know otherwise.... I'm starting to also be convinced that these are the same people that don't want the local in the first place; they don't wanna walk over & down to the nearest subway & they get fed up with tryna find an on duty cab - b/c more often than not, they have that *I'm in a bit of a hurry, just let me on* kind of demeanor....

LOL... Well you see that X17 stop is a bit vague so I understand why you waited there and that's a stop where I could see people (in other words express bus riders trying to get on).  There are a few spots in the city where this happens unofficially and since there are so many people transferring the B/O's allow it.

As for these a-holes doing this sh*t, oh believe me they know very well what they're doing.  They know the difference between a coach bus and a city bus.  There was an older white lady (a typical Upper East I want my way snobby type) that basically forced her way on to a BxM1 Super Express one morning on Lex talking about oh I'm trying to get further Downtown (we were on the Upper East Side at that point) acting like she had no other way to get there.   <_< The B/O acted like he didn't have any balls. I'm saying to myself just tell her drop-off only, put your hand over the damn farebox and make her get off and catch a cab or take the local bus or subway. He had already stopped at a stop earlier on to let some chick on when he was supposed to be a Super Express, so I'm saying to myself is this really a Super Express or what because he wasn't supposed to stop there at all, plus there was a bus due there in 10 minutes anyway thanks to him running late already.  Some of those B/O's use that double standard BS.  If it's a woman, he may let her on even though it's drop-off only, but let a man do that and 9 times out of 10 he'll be stopped...

I'm like seriously we got one little friggin bus and we can't have that with the damn city people having numerous options at their disposal.  Really ridiculous.  There was a guy that did that on the X10.  Gets on at 41st and 5th sits and starts yacking and eating McDonald's and got off Downtown.  Everyone was looking at him like WTF is with this guy as if to say what f*cking nerve.  At least he did it quickly but that late at night it was obvious what he was doing.  He looked like the type that would hop in a cab but for whatever reason he was too cheap to do it that time and just took the express bus instead.

Not according to the b/o I attempted to board the x17 at (SI bound)......

See that's the thing... If it was indeed a pick-up and drop-off stop there would be a schedule there.  I'm inclined to say that it's unofficially both and up to the discretion of the B/O so if you get a prick he won't let you on. I'm willing to bet that's the set up.

It's a pickup and dropoff express bus stop in Brooklyn. 

See my above response....

Off topic, but you've never seen anything like that until you have a rider on a eastbound NICE bus attempt to get off in Queens. The B/Os are basically mandated to speed through to the county border, which on Hillside is at 268th St, and some folks try to get off at Springfield Blvd or at Martin Van Buren HS ~230th St, and it's amusing to see them blow up when they realize the bus doesn't stop where they're going.

The X28 is 5th in terms of ridership out of all NYCT express buses so just giving it Saturday service would not suffice. It deserves Saturday and Sunday service and I'd run it every hour on Sundays and every 30 minutes to an hour on Saturdays depending on the time.

Dude just shut up already with the BM4/BM5 nonsense. The BM4 stops running at 14:50 to the city on Saturdays and at 18:20 back to the city. The BM5 only runs to the city until 13:15 and the last run back to Brooklyn is at 18:00. Neither has Sunday service. There are people that rely on those buses that need to go to work or what have you and it would be irresponsible to end their service outright. The BM4 and BM5 costs are covered mainly by the city. The (MTA) pays for the X28 and there wasn't enough money to return it fully nor enough ridership to justify bringing it back at its old headways on the weekends. BM4 and BM5 service has been slashed significantly so there really isn't too much more to cut without doing away with Saturday service altogether.

Seriously have you seen BM5s on saturdays? WHAT RIDERS!!! Most sat trips have 0 riders I live by BM5 and see the lack of use irresponsible to cut a service people don't even use your not even rational. Why can't X28 and other NYCT express routes be subsidized by the city? please.

LOL... Well you see that X17 stop is a bit vague so I understand why you waited there and that's a stop where I could see people (in other words express bus riders trying to get on). There are a few spots in the city where this happens unofficially and since there are so many people transferring the B/O's allow it.

As for these a-holes doing this sh*t, oh believe me they know very well what they're doing. They know the difference between a coach bus and a city bus. There was an older white lady (a typical Upper East I want my way snobby type) that basically forced her way on to a BxM1 Super Express one morning on Lex talking about oh I'm trying to get further Downtown (we were on the Upper East Side at that point) acting like she had no other way to get there. <_< The B/O acted like he didn't have any balls. I'm saying to myself just tell her drop-off only, put your hand over the damn farebox and make her get off and catch a cab or take the local bus or subway. He had already stopped at a stop earlier on to let some chick on when he was supposed to be a Super Express, so I'm saying to myself is this really a Super Express or what because he wasn't supposed to stop there at all, plus there was a bus due there in 10 minutes anyway thanks to him running late already. Some of those B/O's use that double standard BS. If it's a woman, he may let her on even though it's drop-off only, but let a man do that and 9 times out of 10 he'll be stopped...

I'm like seriously we got one little friggin bus and we can't have that with the damn city people having numerous options at their disposal. Really ridiculous. There was a guy that did that on the X10. Gets on at 41st and 5th sits and starts yacking and eating McDonald's and got off Downtown. Everyone was looking at him like WTF is with this guy as if to say what f*cking nerve. At least he did it quickly but that late at night it was obvious what he was doing. He looked like the type that would hop in a cab but for whatever reason he was too cheap to do it that time and just took the express bus instead.

See that's the thing... If it was indeed a pick-up and drop-off stop there would be a schedule there. I'm inclined to say that it's unofficially both and up to the discretion of the B/O so if you get a prick he won't let you on. I'm willing to bet that's the set up.

See my above response....

I hate those types I'd be the first to put chumps like her on BLAST so everyone can laugh at her LAZY ASS. EFFIN BITCH won't get away with effin up my trip but I do not use BXM1 sorry man. B/Os need more BALLZ I would speed off and leave her in the dust. However in her defense M101 is stupidly unreliable.

Off topic, but you've never seen anything like that until you have a rider on a eastbound NICE bus attempt to get off in Queens. The B/Os are basically mandated to speed through to the county border, which on Hillside is at 268th St, and some folks try to get off at Springfield Blvd or at Martin Van Buren HS ~230th St, and it's amusing to see them blow up when they realize the bus doesn't stop where they're going.

Yeah, I know about the people that used to do that crap back when it was LIB.... The situation is a little different though because those are passengers that already boarded the bus.... They can stand there & bitch until they're blue in the face, but those b/o's don't open the back doors until they hit Nassau county - The bus is still in motion more often than not when the bitching is being done.....

....Whereas the ones that (try) to board the expresses to ride within Manhattan seldom get that chance to argue down the b/o to let them off the bus.... But yeah, the bitching & pleading on some entitlement shit is done when the bus is stopped at a particular pick-up stop..... Which makes it more of an annoyance & a hindrance to the rest of the paying passengers because time is being lost when the b/o engages in any exchange of words with them....

...The B/O acted like he didn't have any balls. I'm saying to myself just tell her drop-off only, put your hand over the damn farebox and make her get off and catch a cab or take the local bus or subway. He had already stopped at a stop earlier on to let some chick on when he was supposed to be a Super Express, so I'm saying to myself is this really a Super Express or what because he wasn't supposed to stop there at all, plus there was a bus due there in 10 minutes anyway thanks to him running late already.  Some of those B/O's use that double standard BS.  If it's a woman, he may let her on even though it's drop-off only, but let a man do that and 9 times out of 10 he'll be stopped...

I'm like seriously we got one little friggin bus and we can't have that with the damn city people having numerous options at their disposal.  Really ridiculous.  There was a guy that did that on the X10.  Gets on at 41st and 5th sits and starts yacking and eating McDonald's and got off Downtown.  Everyone was looking at him like WTF is with this guy as if to say what f*cking nerve.  At least he did it quickly but that late at night it was obvious what he was doing.  He looked like the type that would hop in a cab but for whatever reason he was too cheap to do it that time and just took the express bus instead.

See that's the thing... If it was indeed a pick-up and drop-off stop there would be a schedule there.  I'm inclined to say that it's unofficially both and up to the discretion of the B/O so if you get a prick he won't let you on. I'm willing to bet that's the set up.

You just saved me a couple keystrokes with that second paragraph because I was gonna explain that very thing to bobtehpanda.... There's no harm & no foul as far as loss of commuting time to the other pax., to the slicksters that board the expresses in manhattan & then dive off the bus somewhere else in manhattan as pax are being picked up... These aren't the people putting up any fight to get off the bus (like those that did/do so on LIB/NICE)..... The dispute ("fighting") is done to get on the expresses, not off..... But yeah, Personally, I *smh* & laugh at the ones that do that (instead of the "some nerve" emotion you're describing)...

Anyway, yeah, as long as you got a twat b/w your legs, you can get away with murder with a guy.... It is disgusting the way some men will bend over backwards to fulfill the needs of some random strange woman that doesn't give two fux about you as a person - As long as her objective is fulfilled, she does not care..... That fake charm shit - This is one instance where I'd prefer having a female b/o because they generally do not mess around with people tryna board where they're not supposed to - man or woman.....

Yeah, I know about the people that used to do that crap back when it was LIB.... The situation is a little different though because those are passengers that already boarded the bus.... They can stand there & bitch until they're blue in the face, but those b/o's don't open the back doors until they hit Nassau county - The bus is still in motion more often than not when the bitching is being done.....

....Whereas the ones that (try) to board the expresses to ride within Manhattan seldom get that chance to argue down the b/o to let them off the bus.... But yeah, the bitching & pleading on some entitlement shit is done when the bus is stopped at a particular pick-up stop..... Which makes it more of an annoyance & a hindrance to the rest of the paying passengers because time is being lost when the b/o engages in any exchange of words with them....

You just saved me a couple keystrokes with that second paragraph because I was gonna explain that very thing to bobtehpanda.... There's no harm & no foul as far as loss of commuting time to the other pax., to the slicksters that board the expresses in manhattan & then dive off the bus somewhere else in manhattan as pax are being picked up... These aren't the people putting up any fight to get off the bus (like those that did/do so on LIB/NICE)..... The dispute ("fighting") is done to get on the expresses, not off..... But yeah, Personally, I *smh* & laugh at the ones that do that (instead of the "some nerve" emotion you're describing)...

Anyway, yeah, as long as you got a twat b/w your legs, you can get away with murder with a guy.... It is disgusting the way some men will bend over backwards to fulfill the needs of some random strange woman that doesn't give two fux about you as a person - As long as her objective is fulfilled, she does not care..... That fake charm shit - This is one instance where I'd prefer having a female b/o because they generally do not mess around with people tryna board where they're not supposed to - man or woman.....

My sentiments exactly... I don't say anything if people do it getting on during pick up segments, so long as it's done discreetly and quickly and the passenger gets on, pays, sits down and shuts up and doesn't make a whole scene about it like look at me I'm a big shot or something. Some of these people that do it act like they're attention starved or something and that's what makes you know that they're not regulars because usually the regulars get on, pay and keep it moving unless they're a prima donna, but those aren't too common these days on the buses I'm on.  You know what I'm talking about... They get on without Metrocard in hand, then have to ask a gazillion questions, then stand in the aisle blocking everyone else from getting on then take a seat eventually when people start to get annoyed to look for the Metrocard they should've had out already and then proceed to look for change when the Metrocard that they finally do find doesn't work and then there's another elongated conversation with the driver to further slow things down and big smile, etc. etc. etc...  <_<

As for the male B/O's it's pretty funny... If it's a female trying to board, it doesn't matter how wrong she is, she expects him to stop and kneel the bus for her otherwise, he's everything in the damn book, but a male... Forget it... He'd better run for that bus, bang on the door, and hope that the B/O got some last night, otherwise, good luck getting on if he decides not to drive off in his face which I've seen happen quite a few times. 

My sentiments exactly... I don't say anything if people do it getting on during pick up segments, so long as it's done discreetly and quickly and the passenger gets on, pays, sits down and shuts up and doesn't make a whole scene about it like look at me I'm a big shot or something. Some of these people that do it act like they're attention starved or something and that's what makes you know that they're not regulars because usually the regulars get on, pay and keep it moving unless they're a prima donna, but those aren't too common these days on the buses I'm on.  You know what I'm talking about... They get on without Metrocard in hand, then have to ask a gazillion questions, then stand in the aisle blocking everyone else from getting on then take a seat eventually when people start to get annoyed to look for the Metrocard they should've had out already and then proceed to look for change when the Metrocard that they finally do find doesn't work and then there's another elongated conversation with the driver to further slow things down and big smile, etc. etc. etc...  <_<

As for the male B/O's it's pretty funny... If it's a female trying to board, it doesn't matter how wrong she is, she expects him to stop and kneel the bus for her otherwise, he's everything in the damn book, but a male... Forget it... He'd better run for that bus, bang on the door, and hope that the B/O got some last night, otherwise, good luck getting on if he decides not to drive off in his face which I've seen happen quite a few times. 

At that point I'd literally cuss that person out or kick him or her off at the next stop while other passengers laugh at her/his expense. Not patience for BS.

I would think that if it was a drop off point, the sign would say just that, but since it says Arden Heights, I would say that it could be a pickup point too. If it truly is a drop off point, MTA needs to fix this stat.

Also, did anyone else see the X17 on the Brooklyn Bus Map?

Archived