Question regarding X17 Stop in Brooklyn

MattTrain

I would think that if it was a drop off point, the sign would say just that, but since it says Arden Heights, I would say that it could be a pickup point too. If it truly is a drop off point, MTA needs to fix this stat.

Also, did anyone else see the X17 on the Brooklyn Bus Map? 

The thing is the (MTA) doesn't put up the signs.  The DOT does.  I've seen them in action of Forest Avenue and it's usually just one guy taking down signs and putting them up.  There is no one there to double check what he's doing and I've seen numerous express bus stop errors just on Forest Avenue alone. My favorite one was the one on Forest and Clove.  The X30 stop going towards Victory Blvd is supposed to be "Drop-off" only yet the person who put up the sign had the destination as "Downtown" as if the X30 picked up there and went Downtown.  The signage actually applied to the X16 which is no longer in existence since 2010.  That sign stayed up there for at least a year, so like I said before I believe that officially that stop is "Drop-Off" only.

Seriously have you seen BM5s on saturdays? WHAT RIDERS!!! Most sat trips have 0 riders I live by BM5 and see the lack of use irresponsible to cut a service people don't even use your not even rational. Why can't X28 and other NYCT express routes be subsidized by the city? please. 

Oh please with that BM5 nonsense, Have you bothered to look up by the time It gets to Queens? 

Just because it says 94 riders for saturday ridership (I admit its pretty low, but you need it for coverage) , divided by the runs the current Mess the BM5 has (16) and you get a whopping 5.875 riders per bus. Most of the BM5 ridership is Spring Creek and Woodhaven Blvd. I use the BM5 once in a while, seen 7 people on it by the time we were on the highway, thats as good as your gonna get. 5.875 riders rounds up to 6, not 0.

Oh please with that BM5 nonsense, Have you bothered to look up by the time It gets to Queens? 

Just because it says 94 riders for saturday ridership (I admit its pretty low, but you need it for coverage) , divided by the runs the current Mess the BM5 has (16) and you get a whopping 5.875 riders per bus. Most of the BM5 ridership is Spring Creek and Woodhaven Blvd. I use the BM5 once in a while, seen 7 people on it by the time we were on the highway, thats as good as your gonna get. 5.875 riders rounds up to 6, not 0.

You do realize that you're just proving his point even more...

He says he wants to cut it because there is no ridership, I'm mentioning that there is ridership, but even though there isnt so much ridership, you cant cut it and you need it for coverage.

Why do you even wanna start him up w/ the BM5 anyway.....

Also, did anyone else see the X17 on the Brooklyn Bus Map?

yeah... looks awkward doesn't it....

My sentiments exactly... I don't say anything if people do it getting on during pick up segments, so long as it's done discreetly and quickly and the passenger gets on, pays, sits down and shuts up and doesn't make a whole scene about it like look at me I'm a big shot or something. Some of these people that do it act like they're attention starved or something and that's what makes you know that they're not regulars because usually the regulars get on, pay and keep it moving unless they're a prima donna, but those aren't too common these days on the buses I'm on.  You know what I'm talking about... They get on without Metrocard in hand, then have to ask a gazillion questions, then stand in the aisle blocking everyone else from getting on then take a seat eventually when people start to get annoyed to look for the Metrocard they should've had out already and then proceed to look for change when the Metrocard that they finally do find doesn't work and then there's another elongated conversation with the driver to further slow things down and big smile, etc. etc. etc...  <_<

As for the male B/O's it's pretty funny... If it's a female trying to board, it doesn't matter how wrong she is, she expects him to stop and kneel the bus for her otherwise, he's everything in the damn book, but a male... Forget it... He'd better run for that bus, bang on the door, and hope that the B/O got some last night, otherwise, good luck getting on if he decides not to drive off in his face which I've seen happen quite a few times. 

The ole stall tactic... ppl. do that crap on local buses too, another annoyance.... I know exactly what you're talking about....

Of course on the expresses, it's done on the commute going home (because the regulars don't pull that corny shit & you tend to get more non regulars on the PM buses anyway).....

Speaking of which, I got tired of this lady last night asking the b/o why he can't let her off at ocean parkway (as you know, the BM1 doesn't travel along church)... funny thing about it, is that I think I've seen her on the BM4 back when I was on that "I'll take the first BM that comes" tip.... I don't take the 3 or the 4 much anymore because I don't feel like doing that walk from east 18th/cortelyou...... And especially now that it's getting warmer & more ray ray's & pookie's & 'nem are out chillin along flatbush by that chicken spot (think it's a kennedy's or a crown's, never really looked) actin a damn fool, forget it...

Yeah, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a woman put on the burners for any the expresses I've been on as of late.... What the b/o's will do is stall the bus at the particular stop & wait for her (and I notice these women be taking their sweet ass times too; no sense of hustle or nothin) to board.... There's even a guy on the BM2 that will get out his seat & put his hand up (as if to suggest that you don't have to run, this bus is going nowhere til you come on), which is BS - When you have men older than I am that have to put on their best sonic the hedgehog imitation tryna catch the bus..... Me, I'm not running anymore, and I don't do that knocking on the side of the bus no more either....

The ole stall tactic... ppl. do that crap on local buses too, another annoyance.... I know exactly what you're talking about....

Of course on the expresses, it's done on the commute going home (because the regulars don't pull that corny shit & you tend to get more non regulars on the PM buses anyway).....

Speaking of which, I got tired of this lady last night asking the b/o why he can't let her off at ocean parkway (as you know, the BM1 doesn't travel along church)... funny thing about it, is that I think I've seen her on the BM4 back when I was on that "I'll take the first BM that comes" tip.... I don't take the 3 or the 4 much anymore because I don't feel like doing that walk from east 18th/cortelyou...... And especially now that it's getting warmer & more ray ray's & pookie's & 'nem are out chillin along flatbush by that chicken spot (think it's a kennedy's or a crown's, never really looked) actin a damn fool, forget it...

Yeah, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a woman put on the burners for any the expresses I've been on as of late.... What the b/o's will do is stall the bus at the particular stop & wait for her (and I notice these women be taking their sweet ass times too; no sense of hustle or nothin) to board.... There's even a guy on the BM2 that will get out his seat & put his hand up (as if to suggest that you don't have to run, this bus is going nowhere til you come on), which is BS - When you have men older than I am that have to put on their best sonic the hedgehog imitation tryna catch the bus..... Me, I'm not running anymore, and I don't do that knocking on the side of the bus no more either....

LMAO!! Well you know what it's all about... Groupies and yentas... 

Now I'm thinking that because the X17 is on the Brooklyn Bus Map that you can get the bus from the Dahlgren stop to go to Brooklyn and Staten Island, hence the reason it says Arden Heights on the Staten Island side (shrugs)

And how exactly....

He says he wants to cut it because there is no ridership, I'm mentioning that there is ridership, but even though there isnt so much ridership, you cant cut it and you need it for coverage.

DUDE he is right you just proved my point why waste $$$ ona bus that carries only 7 to 5 people you sound dump defending it. That is like saying QM18 with 5 people at rush hr is acceptable. BM5 had more service with err nobody. So your argument = FAIL those resources are better spent and used elsewhere on buses that carry alot more than 7 people. On saturday I think restoring x28 is much more important than running a bus that is barely used coverage argument means nothing to express lines. However I do have a compromise.

LMAO!! Well you know what it's all about... Groupies and yentas... 

The quintessential part of every mans life. That and some ganga never hurt.

With that said, what's holding the X17 stop from becoming a two way stop? Simply the unions or is there more politics behind this?

The quintessential part of every mans life. That and some ganga never hurt.

With that said, what's holding the X17 stop from becoming a two way stop? Simply the unions or is there more politics behind this?

Nothing but the standard rules... Express buses are pick up going to Manhattan and Drop-off only from Manhattan unless otherwise stated.  

Yeah, I already tried on two separate occasions to catch the x17 there..... The first saturday I tried, the bus didn't even go up the ramp (it stayed on the highway.. I was hot [pissed] that day too)... The second time I tried, a couple ppl. actually got off... I attempted to get on, and the b/o gave me the wave (as if to say, you can't board here).... That's the day I walked over to the S79....

On the other end on another occasion (meaning, manhattan bound), I boarded w/ no problems... Was surprised to have gotten a seat....

LOL... I couldn't catch my regular bus today so I opted for the X17... I thought of you when I got off because I was the only one that got off at Dahlgren and 86th and if I hadn't rang the bell that bus would've stayed on the Gowanus.  Funny thing is there was a young white chick waiting there and she apologized because she was trying to get on as I was getting off... Can you guess what happened after I got off??  :lol:

LOL... I couldn't catch my regular bus today so I opted for the X17... I thought of you when I got off because I was the only one that got off at Dahlgren and 86th and if I hadn't rang the bell that bus would've stayed on the Gowanus.  Funny thing is there was a young white chick waiting there and she apologized because she was trying to get on as I was getting off... Can you guess what happened after I got off??  :lol:

Lmao..... Don't tell me the driver let her on??

Yep... I wouldn't count on it either.  It's all up to the driver and if no one is getting off they may not stop there because I get the feeling that those stops are indeed unofficial for people to get on or get off... There are quite a few unofficial stops where people try to get on that are Drop-Off only stops and some drivers let the folks on and some drivers don't.  The official rule is still that express buses are for commuter travel TO and FROM Manhattan and that's one reason they did away with the X25 and X90.  It wasn't just the ridership issue but they don't want people using express buses for intraborough travel, at least not officially.

It's possible that it could be a mistake.  There are quite a few express bus stops like that and they are indeed mistakes. The folks at the DOT don't have a clue.  I've seen X4 express bus stops on Madison Avenue when the X4 doesn't even go to Midtown.

I agreed. DOT folks still hasn't removed BxM4C signs in Wall St Area, when BxM4C used to go to/from Battery Park, but that was discontinue by Westchester County Transportation.

Also, they haven't removed NY Waterway's shuttle bus drop off-pick up bus stop on Madison Av/38th St, and it stills NYWY under city bus, which NYWY Shuttle Bus doesn't loop counter clockwise, so it doesn't stop them.

I agreed. DOT folks still hasn't removed BxM4C signs in Wall St Area, when BxM4C used to go to/from Battery Park, but that was discontinue by Westchester County Transportation.

Also, they haven't removed NY Waterway's shuttle bus drop off-pick up bus stop on Madison Av/38th St, and it stills NYWY under city bus, which NYWY Shuttle Bus doesn't loop counter clockwise, so it doesn't stop them.

I was just in the wall street area the BXM4C wall street bus stop signs were already removed.

• 1 month later...

There are some QM20 riders that take the QM20 from Queens to 34th Street and Madison Avenue and transfer to Brooklyn bound X27 and X28 buses by taking it at the 5th Avenue and 34th Street stop in order to go Downtown when the BxM18 does not show up. According to NYCT policy, you can ride an express bus within the same borough, or from Staten Island to Brooklyn on the X17 if the express bus is picking up customers heading towards Manhattan on Manhattan bound buses and you can ride an express buses within Manhattan only on outer borough bound express buses.

There are some QM20 riders that take the QM20 from Queens to 34th Street and Madison Avenue and transfer to Brooklyn bound X27 and X28 buses by taking it at the 5th Avenue and 34th Street stop in order to go Downtown when the BxM18 does not show up. According to NYCT policy, you can ride an express bus within the same borough, or from Staten Island to Brooklyn on the X17 if the express bus is picking up customers heading towards Manhattan on Manhattan bound buses and you can ride an express buses within Manhattan only on outer borough bound express buses.

Interesting

But how is the right fare charged? Why pay $6 for that?

Archived