Breaking News, Two explosions at Boston marathon finish line

DJ MC

So the news said that Boston PD ran a bomb drill today just in case something like this happened at this event. Now, where have we seen this before?

Not to indulge on conspiracy theories, but the timing was too... coincidental. I leave it at that.

As for this, very tragic. I only heard about this at 4pm on the radio. Just couldn't believe it. The pics of the people with missing legs was also pretty graphic. And no surprise the news are repeating the same visuals like every few seconds. I get it's the major story, but we don't need to see the bombing every second. Show it 1 every 10 min or something. Showing it over and over isn't going to change a thing.

Anybody else notice the creepy figure at the top left of the one building looking on at the explosions?

Was probably just watching the marathon like everybody else, and then happened to witness the tragedy.

A photograph that appears to be garnering a lot of the attention is an image of a conspicuous man lurking on a roof top at the exact moments both blasts went off near the finish line. Yahoo News reports the photograph was taken by spectator Dan Lampariello and later uploaded to Twitter.

The mystery man was first pointed out by several users on Twitter, launching several rumors and conspiracy theories as to who he is and what he was doing on the roof.

The two explosions now believed to be bombs detonated about 12 seconds apart at 2:50 p.m., killed 3 people while leaving 17 in critical condition and at least 145 injured.

When asked about the now-viral photograph of the man on the roof, Richard DesLauriers, the special agent in charge of the FBI’s Boston Division, acknowledged the photo but did not give further details on it.

WASHINGTON -- The explosives used in the deadly Boston Marathon bombing were contained in 6-liter pressure cookers and hidden in black duffel bags on the ground, a person briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

One of the explosives contained shards of metal and ball bearings, and another contained nails, the person said.

A second person briefed on the investigation confirmed that at least one of the explosives was made out of a pressure cooker. Both spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

Two bombs blew up seconds apart Monday at the finish line of one of the world's most storied races, tearing off victims' limbs and leaving the streets spattered with blood and strewn with broken glass. Three people were killed, including an 8-year-old boy, and more than 170 were wounded.

President Barack Obama said called the explosions a terrorist attack and said law enforcement and intelligence officials were trying to determine who was responsible. No one has claimed responsibility for the bombings.

These types of pressure cooker explosives have been used in Afghanistan, India, Nepal and Pakistan, according to a July 2010 joint FBI and Homeland Security intelligence report. One of the three devices used in the May 2010 Times Square attempted bombing was a pressure cooker, the intelligence report said.

"Placed carefully, such devices provide little or no indication of an impending attack," the report said.

The Pakistani Taliban, which claimed responsibility for the 2010 attempt in Times Square, has denied any role in the Boston Marathon attack.

Law enforcement has not yet determined what was used to set off the explosives. Typically, these bombs have an initiator, switch and explosive charge, according to a 2004 warning from the Homeland Security Department about these types of explosives.

"We will go to the ends of the Earth to identify the subject or subjects who are responsible for this despicable crime, and we will do everything we can to bring them to justice," said Richard DesLauriers, FBI agent in charge in Boston.

Investigators in Boston are combing surveillance tapes and pictures from Monday.

___

Source - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/boston-bombs-pressure-cookers_n_3093288.html?icid=maing-grid7|aim|dl1|sec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D299202

I'm waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come out. It shouldn't take them too long considering the fact that the public is leery towards the government and it's big brother approach to security.

I'm waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come out. It shouldn't take them too long considering the fact that the public is leery towards the government and it's big brother approach to security.

What, I didn't say a thing.

You can only say so much before you have people showing up outside your door.

We just had some responses like that in this thread already.

Now what I found highly suspicious is that the conspiracists depend on the testimony of this one coach who said that the Boston PD was running bombing drills earlier in the morning, and that they were announcing it on the speakers or something.

Yet with all the twitter, media and the hundreds of people taking video, not one video has been posted up with any such announcement.

Not surprisingly, Alex Jones and his Infowar is the one spreading this "fact".

So the news said that Boston PD ran a bomb drill today just in case something like this happened at this event. Now, where have we seen this before?

IDK... I mean I've heard that they announced to the crowd to stay calm not too long BEFORE the bombing... Put that and what you've said together and any logical thinker would at least think maybe, just maybe, sumthin' not right there...

I'm now hearing a suspect has been identified and has been arrested.

Authorities believe they have identified a suspect from video footage in the Boston Marathon bombings, Reuters reported Wednesday. An arrest is imminent, according to the AP.

The FBI is holding a press conference at 5 p.m. and is expected to announce the news then. CNN reported that the breakthrough in the investigation came from analyzing department store surveillance video and video from a news station.

The Boston Globe reported that officials have found an image of "a suspect carrying, and perhaps dropping, a black bag at the second bombing scene."

Read more: Source

I'm now hearing a suspect has been identified and has been arrested.

Authorities believe they have identified a suspect from video footage in the Boston Marathon bombings, Reuters reported Wednesday. An arrest is imminent, according to the AP.

The FBI is holding a press conference at 5 p.m. and is expected to announce the news then. CNN reported that the breakthrough in the investigation came from analyzing department store surveillance video and video from a news station.

The Boston Globe reported that officials have found an image of "a suspect carrying, and perhaps dropping, a black bag at the second bombing scene."

Read more: Source

Yep, watching CNN right now.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57580148-1/crowdsourcing-or-witch-hunt-reddit-4chan-users-try-to-id-boston-bomb-suspects/

Check this out: The anons via 4chan.org and Reddit apparently was involved in the efforts to ID the suspect. Just caught this article. It was done actually at the FBI's request. Was discussing this on lunch with the tech team.

After 24 hours passed without an arrest in the attack, the Federal Bureau of Investigations said Tuesday that the "range of suspects and motive remains wide open" and asked the public to submit photos, videos or anything suspicious that they may have seen or heard.

Members of the link-sharing community Reddit launched a sub-section called "findbostonbombers" late Tuesday to collect clues.

"Sometimes the rules change. Sometimes dogma needs to be flipped: 'Shut up and let the cops do their job' in the case of a terrorist attack is exactly wrong," Jason Calacanis, Internet entrepreneur, said in a blog post. Calacanis suggests that investigators should be combing through services like Twitter and video-sharing app Vine for clues.

Reddit users targeted at least three men, based purely on speculation. A link posted from photos-sharing site Imgur showed photos of the men collected on the Web site 4chan.

Sorry I wasn't hear for weeks because I was saving energy, so I was mostly listen to radio and reading a book from public library I borrow.

I heard on radio station channels about Boston Marathon. I have been saving energy by using less computer time.

I was wondering if it interruped it the Marathon.

I like Marathon and maybe my reporter friend who is journalist for Sotokoto, volunteer magazine in Japan has husband who rans in all kind of marathon like half-marathon, LI Marathon and NYC Marathon. He ran in Boston Marathon before his leg got injured.

I express my feeling to victims of Boston Marathon, including the hard working charities, organizations, Marathon organizations, police, fire fighters, militaries, and spectaulars who are involved in this horrific explosion during this major marathon in Boston. I also dedicate my feeling to people who might be or neither inside in exploded building.

I've never been more proud to be a user of Reddit than now. This tragedy has really shown how we can all come together even in times of darkness.

Uh, not how I see it... That site has been awful, pulling up random innocent people and posting their Facebooks, harassing them, making them available for threats, everything. Ruining people's lives just cause you're trying to be an "Internet Investigator" is not an acceptable price to pay.

Archived