Two R42's on the Echo...

RTOMan

The E is running the oldest equipment, along with the C. However, I would not group the R46 with the R32 and R42. The R46 is more middle aged and a more modern design (yes, circa 70s interior and all).

The E won't use another 75 footer like the 68, the 46s were removed due to dwell times. But I am puzzled why the E operators are not being trained to run the 160s and no new equipment seems to be in the works for this major line that is the second most crowded line in the system.

I saw two R46 (E) this past wednesday and one today. They arent fully removed.

The R46s look horrible on the (E). I say to stick with the R32 and R42 on the (E). After all, the signature line of the R32 is the (E). Plus, the R32's really aren't THAT bad. Sure, some really loud brakes and broken airconditioning, but the R32s have so much history flowing in their blood veins. It'll be sad to see them go.

The R46s look horrible on the (E). I say to stick with the R32 and R42 on the (E). After all, the signature line of the R32 is the (E). Plus, the R32's really aren't THAT bad. Sure, some really loud brakes and broken airconditioning, but the R32s have so much history flowing in their blood veins. It'll be sad to see them go.

Not to me. The signature train for the E would be the R46. I think the blue E on the R46 looks better than the orange F or the mustard R. But anyway...

I never liked the 32s on the E. When I was growing up in the 60s, I rode the E and F, and both, along with most B division lines, used R1 type of trains. Then, the first silver trains appeared on the F in the early 60s and were R38s. After a few months some appeared on the E. The first 32s I saw were on the D, and that's the line I associate the 32s with. I like seeing the R42 because pretty much all of the B division lines used the R40M and R42. The slant 42 debuted on the F line, and was very much talked about as it was radically different than the other trains with its big, at the time magenta colored F in the front. A bit later it went to the E and was exclusive to the E and F for awhile.

The 44 was also a very exciting train in that it was large and way quieter and smoother than its predecessors. The 46 was similar and the 44 debuted on the F as well. In the late 70s to 1990, the E and F were exclusively 46s, were the absolute pride of the line. The E was the pride of the line in that it was the first to have graffiti free trains and was the first to have the rebuilt trains service the line. It was around 1990-1991 that the MTA declared that the E was better suited for a 60 foot train because of dwell times in the station. For many E riders, the 32s, as much as you may not like it, represented a downgrade to older, noisier, and less aesthetically pleasing trains. Yes, today the 46 is dated with its 70s interior treatment but still is a much more modern train than the 32. I also don't like the 32's refurb, the digital signs in the front are terrible and it is very difficult to tell an E from an F until the train is very close. When both the E and F ran exclusively 46s you could tell before the train got into the station. The E was blue and the F was orange.

Today, the 32 is just an old train that is faltering and from a ridership standpoint, is best used on lines like the G or V, lines with relatively low ridership. No fault to the 32. It is and may remain the fleet's most durable train. It was a very exciting train when it was introduced and I much prefer its original livery and look, with solid blue doors and roll signs, to the look it has today. But it is way long in the tooth, and on the E, a line that has a very high ridership, it feels like the riders get the shaft in getting the oldest equipment on a line that is a major, high-volume line, while comparable lines get much more up-to-date equipment and some brand spanking new trains. It's time for the E to have 160s. The door rationale has been addressed and fixed with these trains as they are 60 feet and have 40 doors per side. Now, the yard that services its trains needs upgrading so that the E can finally start to run modern equipment the MTA has to offer. Problem is, doesn't seem to be in the plans, and the E is running the oldest equipment and hand-me-downs from the J/M/L lines and it seems may for the next 5 years or so. And, if the R179 is 75 feet, where does that leave the E when the F/R and V get them?

Why won't the 160's run on the E?

Lots of reasons at the moment. First and foremost, Jamaica Yd has a poor maintenance record (partly due to the number of cars based out of there). Second (E) crews have to be qualified on those trains to operate them in service. Jamaica Car Inspectors and shop personnel would have to be qualified to service those cars. And Jamaica is already over capacity to begin with, so those R32's would have to go somewhere else, and it would be a big move requiring T/O's getting overtime to move the cars in and out of the yard. Not to mention all that training takes time and money. Meanwhile The R42's that have come from ENY are actually in BETTER shape than the R32's now - they weren't when they left ENY but they are now - where as the R32's have VERY iffy brakes these days (particularly the Phase IIs), dead motors (which is why you hear squealy brakes as the train stops from speed - dead motor means the dynamic brake doesn't work hence its friction braking the whole way), and then there's all the AC Drama which frankly isn't as big a deal to me but none the less a lot of riders complain. Since those cars are going to be the next to go, why bother moving them around for a couple of months just to move them again when they get ready to go swimming?

It looks like the C is the most disrespected line in the system. The 32's are awful. I see buckled and peeling linolieum and losts of rust. Nostalgia is not enough reason to keep them.

The C line was also the last to still have old 30's era cars running into the 80s. (forget which ones) I remember seeing the oddest destination rollsigns on them, and couldn't bear the stagantion despite the numerous deskfans mounted on the celings.

Maybe if they put R160s on the C, people would respect the line more and the stops it serves.

Ok, so only the F pulls from two yards, Jamaica and Coney Island, and the E, R, V, G?, will use whatever equipment that Jamaica services. Is that correct? It then means that the F will get some 160s perhaps but not the other lines.

Also, where are the 68s that are leaving the Broadway mustard lines going?

Ok, so only the F pulls from two yards, Jamaica and Coney Island, and the E, R, V, G?, will use whatever equipment that Jamaica services. Is that correct? It then means that the F will get some 160s perhaps but not the other lines.

Also, where are the 68s that are leaving the Broadway mustard lines going?

The (F) runs out of avenue X Yard, which is part of CIY but a separate section of it. This measn the (F) will get 5-7 R160s max, and the rest of the trains will be R160s. So you're basically correct.

Archived