B15 going back to B10 (sort of)

SubBus

That will happen in September. All buses will skip the General Mail Facility 24/7

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/130422_1000_Transit.pdf

As per the orginal text:

(MTA) New York City Transit 

SERVICE CHANGES:                          REVISE B15 SERVICE IN EAST NEW YORK 

Service Issue 
The B 15 routing via the Brooklyn General Mail Facility is disruptive to the vast 
majority ofB15 customers who are heading to or from John F. Kennedy International 
Airport (JFK) and negatively impacts the route's reliability. The Brooklyn General 
Mail Facility is not a major trip generator for the B 15 bus route and is well served by 
the B13, B14, and B20 bus routes. 

Recommendation 

Revise B 15 bus service in East New York and discontinue B 15 bus service to the 
Brooklyn General Mail Facility. B15 trips that currently serve both the Brooklyn 
General Mail Facility and JFK Airport would only serve JFK Airport. B 15 trips that 
previously terminated at the Brooklyn General Mail Facility would terminate at Linden 
Boulevard and Eldert Lane. The Brooklyn General Mail Facility would continue to be 
served by the B 13, B 14, and B20 bus routes. This proposal would reduce travel time for 
through B15 customers by five (5) minutes. 

Budget Impact 

This change would save approximately $300,000 annually. 

Proposed Implementation Date 

September 2013. 

Woah :blink: Good find, Q23.

In any case, I hope that this could settle any confusion that has been complained by customers and airport employees/passengers (LIKE ME) who rather just go straight to JFK without any timely consuming diversion.

Looks like someone's been reading our posts on here :lol:

Anyway....

Now that I was thinking of it, cant the Short-turns be rerouted to do the B84 route East of New Lots Avenue?

The short-turn B15's have lower headways than the B84......

In other words, what you're suggesting would be more service than what they want to provide with the B84.....

Looks like someone's been reading our posts on here :lol:

Anyway....

The short-turn B15's have lower headways than the B84......

In other words, what you're suggesting would be more service than what they want to provide with the B84.....

Well, I was gonna say something about it anyways, I would modify the rush hour buses so that there would be 7.5 minutes combined headways from morning to evening. Out of the short-turns, 2 of them would go to Spring Creek, the Rest to Eldert Lane. This would mean that 6 of the short-turns would terminate at Eldert, and two would go to Spring Creek. There would be no short-turns midday hours, one branch would go to JFK, the other to Spring Creek. Evening hours, there wouldnt be any service to Spring Creek.

As for Weekends, I would do the weekday thing, where the 2 of the 8 Eldert Lane trips would be Spring Trips from 9 AM to 7 PM. The headways on weekends would remain unchanged, except with a few gaps in service East of New Lots.

Well, I was gonna say something about it anyways

I'm referring to lurkers/spies/whatever you wanna call em, from w/i the MTA when I said:

"Looks like someone's been reading our posts on here :lol:"

....not you.

....I would modify the rush hour buses so that there would be 7.5 minutes combined headways from morning to evening. Out of the short-turns, 2 of them would go to Spring Creek, the Rest to Eldert Lane. This would mean that 6 of the short-turns would terminate at Eldert, and two would go to Spring Creek. There would be no short-turns midday hours, one branch would go to JFK, the other to Spring Creek. Evening hours, there wouldnt be any service to Spring Creek.

As for Weekends, I would do the weekday thing, where the 2 of the 8 Eldert Lane trips would be Spring Trips from 9 AM to 7 PM. The headways on weekends would remain unchanged, except with a few gaps in service East of New Lots.

I understand what you're suggesting... Have the B15 from the west take on the B84 route @ New Lots subway, then en route to linden/eldert up from gateway....

My question is, of the B15's that would take on the B84 path, how often would you run those buses?

It's about damn time! I can't begin to bitch about the amount of B15s to Elderts Lane I've passed up and ended up waiting 15-20 minutes for the JFK bus....from the times I've taken the via postal facility buses...it doesn't even pick up.

1.I'm referring to lurkers/spies/whatever you wanna call em, from w/i the MTA when I said:

"Looks like someone's been reading our posts on here :lol:"

....not you.

2.I understand what you're suggesting... Have the B15 from the west take on the B84 route @ New Lots subway, then en route to linden/eldert up from gateway....

My question is, of the B15's that would take on the B84 path, how often would you run those buses?

1.LOL

2. Since the short-turn is every 15 minutes, and I would send two B84 buses via Spring Creek an hour, it would be 2 buses per hour, or one bus every half hour on the section, as the current B84 would give.

Did any of you really read the report? Only 120 B15 riders each weekday, and less on weekends, use this stop, AND will save $300,000 per year.

Good riddance.

Yeah I "really" read the thing..... I'm not objecting this particular cut anyway....

....Since the short-turn is every 15 minutes, and I would send two B84 buses via Spring Creek an hour, it would be 2 buses per hour, or one bus every half hour on the section, as the current B84 would give.

So wait a minute, you would have both [the B15's that run along the 84's path], along with [the 84 itself]?

In any case, I hope that this could settle any confusion that has been complained by customers and airport employees/passengers (LIKE ME) who rather just go straight to JFK without any timely consuming diversion.

Hmmm......

So what exactly is going on here? On the current schedule, basically, off hour service all swings through the mail facility, and then continues to JFK. A seven day "extended rush hour" (i.e basically daytime or 14 hrs excluding middays, and almost all day Sat.) service alternates between one branch skipping the mail facility and going through to JFK, and the other going to the mail facility only. (sometimes, it alternates between making both stops and ending at the GPO, and in one brief case, alternating between skipping GPO and making both stops).

The OP says the GPO trips will just be cut off at Elderts Lane and Linden. Obviously, the off hour service will just go through to JFK.

So since the plan says it will eliminate inconvenience for JFK riders, I take it that it's only those off-hour riders who will get the actual  improvement. Daytime riders will still have only every other run going through. Is that right?

....So since the plan says it will eliminate inconvenience for JFK riders, I take it that it's only those off-hour riders who will get the actual  improvement. Daytime riders will still have only every other run going through. Is that right?

- Short answer: Yes.

- Long(er) answer: The actual improvement will only affect off peak riders (since there are no peak trips that divert to the Postal Fac. before going to JFK).....  There's nothing mentioned about a schedule change, so the daytime riders would still have alternating trips that end at JFK (or alternating trips that end at Linden/Elderts; however you wanna look at it).....

DUDE you and OVER 9000 other riders also agree. 

Did any of you really read the report? Only 120 B15 riders each weekday, and less on weekends, use this stop, AND will save $300,000 per year.

Good riddance.

I can imagine B15 regulars busting out the booze in celebration I won't be surprised to see airport employees doing the snake dance of gratitude. Trust me those short turns will NOT last very long they will get cut back soon enough or even better replaced with JFK trips. That stop will not be missed.

Trust me those short turns will NOT last very long they will get cut back soon enough or even better replaced with JFK trips. That stop will not be missed.

There's a lot more to the B15 route than just JFK. I'm sure there will still be some riders in the Pink & Cypress Hills Houses using those Elderts Lane short-turns to access the (3), not to mention riders on the entire western portion of the route. But I agree that either way, it's a good change.

Trust me those short turns will NOT last very long they will get cut back soon enough or even better replaced with JFK trips. That stop will not be missed.

1- If you're talking about cutting the short turns back to the (3), that goes back to what Q23 is saying about combining B15 short turns with B84 trips...... Don't see where else you could cut back the short turn (eastbound) 15's anyway.....

2- While I agree that even the intra-Brooklyn pax bombard the JFK bound 15's, the only way I can see the MTA sending every B15 trip to JFK is by axing the short turn trips (meaning, an overall service cut || overall headway increase on that route)..... I don't think the MTA would go that far; well, at least I hope they don't..... Because those buses are gonna be goddamn packed to the gills if that happens......

Thennnn again, isn't ENY supposed to get artics?

....That stop will not be missed.

There's a lot more to the B15 route than just JFK. I'm sure there will still be some riders in the Pink & Cypress Hills Houses using those Elderts Lane short-turns to access the (3), not to mention riders on the entire western portion of the route. But I agree that either way, it's a good change.

Yeah, the vast majority of B15 riders won't think twice about this minor cutback.... On the bright side, folks that live in the linden plaza apartments won't have to worry about crossing Linden anymore (same side as the pink houses) coming off an eastbound bus.....

Archived