What needs to be done in the NYC mass transit world

BrooklynIRT

this is a wishlist I created last night. these statements are in no particular order; I would like to know what you guys think of these and perhaps order them according to their importance as you guys see it. thank you.

1.      Real BRT, not SBS the way MTA and DOT do it. (see below for explanation. main issue is allowing buses to flow freely by eliminating double parking, and law enforcement is not a solution here.)

2.      Law enforcement is not an answer to complaints about slow and unreliable bus service caused by motorists disobeying traffic and parking regulations (mostly by double parking). Law enforcement is by no means a solution to these problems because the City of New York did not get to be the City of New York because of a mode of transportation (trains) that has had to depend on continuous law enforcement to be efficient or effective.

3.      If there are no surefire solutions to the issues of compromised speed and reliability that can be implemented on all NYC bus lines, then at the very least the government should attend to the bus lines on which surefire solutions to these issues can be implemented. The B44 SBS on Nostrand and Rogers Aves is one bus line on which surefire solutions to these issues (like double parking) can be implemented, and the solution I had in mind was a Jersey barrier separating the rightmost travel lane from the left travel lane.

4.      Mass transit needs to be respected much more than it currently is and the government should stop taking the transit system for granted. Especially since mass transit is the city's economic engine and does not negatively impact the environment nearly as much as private vehicles.

5.      Where possible, buses need to have grade-separated rights-of-way on the sections of their routes along which there is heavy traffic. An elevated right-of-way could work if it had no stations (it would descend to street level before reaching a station served by buses using the right-of-way), were only one lane wide, and were located directly above the center of a road. The purpose of the one-lane width and the location directly above the center of a road would be to minimize the visual impact of an elevated structure on its surroundings.

6.      The capacity restrictions of the Flatbush Ave station of the IRT Nostrand Ave line should be eliminated and more trains are needed on the IRT Nostrand Ave line. Also, the Nostrand Junction should be rebuilt, but this is less important than increasing the capacity of the Flatbush Ave station.

7.      The (G) train needs to be promoted a lot more. We cannot build up Manhattan indefinitely, and Long Island City could use some more development.

8.      The Second Ave Subway should be built from E 125 St to Hanover Sq, should be either connected to the IRT Jerome or IND Concourse line or should run under Third and Webster Aves in the Bronx, and should be connected to the BMT Montague St tunnel in Brooklyn.

9.      Something should be done about the Triboro (RX) and the abandoned LIRR Rockaway line.

10.  When MTA train operators, train conductors, and bus operators cannot report for duty, there must be other train operators, train conductors, and bus operators available so that every bus and train that is supposed to be in service is in service. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I saw that the duplicate post I made in the bus forum was deleted. I feel that should not have been done since four of the points I made here relate entirely to buses and one relates partially to buses, and one discussion could go the train way while the other could go the bus way. could the post be changed such that the OP in this thread had only the 5 points relating exclusively to trains plus point #10 while the OP in the bus forum thread had only the 4 points relating exclusively to buses plus point #10? could I repost the deleted post in the bus forum with only the bus-related points?

Transportation will be taken more seriously when the (MTA) become more efficient with service... You deter people from using transit when you're stingy with service and service is poor.  Today I used several train lines and buses in Brooklyn.  Both the (D) and (N) were out in Southern Brooklyn which created an absolute mess.  The (D) only ran to Bay Parkway and they had a shortage of shuttles, so people were packing on to B82's and many of them only went to Cropsey and 25th Avenue.  I thought it was ridiculous to have both the (D) AND the (N) out at the same time. I mean really... They've been doing never ending track work on the (D) and (N) lines. I don't see why one line couldn't be left open and both the (D) and (N) could run on that line like they usually do and worst of all was the unorganized and non-existent shuttle buses... I saw ONE shuttle bus the entire trip and that was a 40 foot Xcelsior. An absolute disgrace.

Transportation will be taken more seriously when the (MTA) become more efficient with service... You deter people from using transit when you're stingy with service and service is poor.  Today I used several train lines and buses in Brooklyn.  Both the (D) and (N) were out in Southern Brooklyn which created an absolute mess.  The (D) only ran to Bay Parkway and they had a shortage of shuttles, so people were packing on to B82's and many of them only went to Cropsey and 25th Avenue.  I thought it was ridiculous to have both the (D) AND the (N) out at the same time. I mean really... They've been doing never ending track work on the (D) and (N) lines. I don't see why one line couldn't be left open and both the (D) and (N) could run on that line like they usually do and worst of all was the unorganized and non-existent shuttle buses... I saw ONE shuttle bus the entire trip and that was a 40 foot Xcelsior. An absolute disgrace.

That is why you check service status prior to leaving the house. With system that solely runs on the good word, it is mandatory of every commuter to be proactive on their side in order to stay on top of their game.

That is why you check service status prior to leaving the house. With system that solely runs on the good word, it is mandatory of every commuter to be proactive on their side in order to stay on top of their game.

I always do that... However, that was not my planned route today. I only used that route because I was late getting my usual connection.  That still doesn't excuse not having any shuttle buses.  That's something that is supposed to be provided.

I always do that... However, that was not my planned route today. I only used that route because I was late getting my usual connection.  That still doesn't excuse not having any shuttle buses.  That's something that is supposed to be provided.

There was no mention of shuttle buses in the G/O posters (it was a fastrack FYI). Customers were meant to get around using buses or F Q.

There was no mention of shuttle buses in the G/O posters (it was a fastrack FYI). Customers were meant to get around using buses or F Q.

Which is ridiculous... They knew people would be using the B82... The (F) and (Q) serve no purpose for people in that area so no one is going to be using that.  Completely stupid.  Once I saw that the (D) was terminating at Bay Parkway, I knew all of my options available and the B82 made the most sense. The (F) and (Q) require tedious bus rides or backtracking if you're already in Brooklyn.

Also while the posters didn't say anything about shuttles, people were being told by (MTA) personnel that they were running and I saw one measly shuttle bus in the other direction the entire ride, so that meant that someone dropped the ball.

4.      Mass transit needs to be respected much more than it currently is and the government should stop taking the transit system for granted. Especially since mass transit is the city's economic engine and does not negatively impact the environment nearly as much as private vehicles.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

As a person who drives alot, fortunate enough to own a car, actually I agree. The nonsense needs to stop.

Did you hear of Tom Pendagast and his grim forecast for the future for the MTA? Increased disruptions in service as well as even another fare hike coming up? because of the damage done to hurricane Sandy, plus unrelated work needed on the subway infrastructure AND rolling stock AND bus fleets AND ongoing expansion projects and more, obviously the MTA's revenue from fare collection alone with cuts in grants from the state capitol is making not just the MTA as a public benefits corp. suffer but New Yorkers alike.

That's my dying wish I swear.

Thank you backstabbing politicians up in Albany. I'm forced to drive, spending more money more money more money on gas, tolls, insurance, and double parking tickets just so I can be going my way. Because the MTA isn't going your way. Because of the focus of the politicians forcing me to take automobile travel as a priority over transit. I had to DRIVE to Manhattan the other day which I normally do not do for obvious reasons but there were delays on the Lex posted on mta.info that day. No wonder. Get the damn 2nd ave line to 125th Street at least. It would work wonderfully for ppl depending on transit and can't even afford to own a car or is reverse commuting from LI, Westchester or NJ let alone those commuting from the outer boroughs to get to work!

Some of us don't drive to certain destinations because we want to like we are going for a leisure Sunday afternoon drive! It's because we work and must be on time! It's because of constant GO's and FASTRACKS every damn weekend with no hope in sight because the system is falling apart, indirectly because of the policies in Albany with autos taking precedence over transit! It's because this affects the costs of the MTA being able to keep the system in good working order! It's because many times we can't even get through the congestion in Manhattan and it is more convenient (In theory, apparently) to take the train to get to destinations in Manhattan. It is not fair because people with cars suffer from higher costs of tolls, gas and such as I was saying!!! I swear it's a political scam, really. And it's not just the MTA who get screwed, us commuters get the shaft ultimately. 

Yeah I wrote a book on this post but seriously carefully read and hear my perspective as a car owner: These politicians simply don't give a shit about transit, and that's my gripe. It's costing me the convenience and MONEY.

I agree with all of these suggestions. I first and foremost don't see why there can't be a physical barrier separating bus lanes from the rest of the traffic. That should be the biggest thing that all +SBS  or BRT routes should have.

it cannot be done in every situation. what I had in mind for Nostrand and Rogers was actually a Jersey barrier with the right travel lane (what is supposed to be the offset bus lane) being used by both buses and any private vehicles that will either turn right off Nostrand (forget about Rogers for just a second) north of Farragut or continue straight down Nostrand past Farragut. then the adjacent travel lane would be used by anybody who would turn left off Nostrand north of Farragut. same thing with the rush hour travel lane on the left curb.

the point of making the right lane usable by both cars and buses is to still allow people to use that lane so they can line up to park on the right curb.

they could only do this on the Bx12 if they made the bus lane on Fordham offset rather than curbside and did the same thing I described above. but that would reduce road capacity, which is not a great idea on Fordham. (people say the offset bus lane on Nostrand is not a good idea, which I still do not understand since the road capacity is already reduced every single day by those who double park and by those who leave their vehicles parked in the rush hour travel lane during rush hours.)

1st Ave is another place that the Jersey barrier for the rightmost travel lane could work. the only thing is that perhaps the blocks from which a lot of people make right turns should not have Jersey barriers so that buses in the right lane can move to the left to circumvent the pileup of cars wanting to turn right. same goes for Nostrand and Rogers.

the issue would then be what to do about delivery vehicles. supposedly the problem there is that delivery vehicles double park because there are not enough loading zones with long enough hours for the trucks, and merchants are opposed to creating more loading zones with longer hours because they want people to be able to park near their stores. perhaps there needs to be more pressure on them to allow more loading zones with longer hours to be created. (threat of climate change caused by encouragement of car use and by traffic jams caused by double parking on busy roads where buses run and whatnot, importance of allowing mass transit to flow as freely as possible, long-term economic benefits of better mass transit, etc)

BRT corridors here are some I will detail the short term and long term and routes later this is just corridors.

1)I-278 gowanus and entire BQE needs elevated above roadway or median BRT speeding up SI express buses and adding a brooklyn downtown to line from bay ridge to williamsburgh with BRT stations at bay ridge, red hook, and atlantic ave and dumbo with williamsbugh getting an intermodal facility. Then BRT to LGA from there with transfer station for ALL QM buses so people can get to other queens destinations speeding up QM service.

2) BRT LIE line with station stops at maurice and BQE jct and woodhaven and rego park express buses exit BRT to begin their normal queens routes. QM5 can get streamlined and attract even more riders.QM ridership should skyrocket even for lines like X68!!!

3) FDR elevated between 125th and inwood with spur to GWB terminal speeding up BXM1/2 at rush considerably BXM3's ridership should skyrocket. 2nd ave subway should speed up UES and yorkville access to downtown. IF FULL BRT is to be designed then it would have 125th exit for express buses then stops at 96th street and end and start back at 34th buses will have to bare mixed traffic between 63rd and 34th. At 42nd northbound they must leave. BRT can be above main roadway. Downtown express service improves with faster travel times.

BRT corridors here are some I will detail the short term and long term and routes later this is just corridors.

1)I-278 gowanus and entire BQE needs elevated above roadway or median BRT speeding up SI express buses and adding a brooklyn downtown to line from bay ridge to williamsburgh with BRT stations at bay ridge, red hook, and atlantic ave and dumbo with williamsbugh getting an intermodal facility. Then BRT to LGA from there with transfer station for ALL QM buses so people can get to other queens destinations speeding up QM service.

2) BRT LIE line with station stops at maurice and BQE jct and woodhaven and rego park express buses exit BRT to begin their normal queens routes. QM5 can get streamlined and attract even more riders.QM ridership should skyrocket even for lines like X68!!!

3) FDR elevated between 125th and inwood with spur to GWB terminal speeding up BXM1/2 at rush considerably BXM3's ridership should skyrocket. 2nd ave subway should speed up UES and yorkville access to downtown. IF FULL BRT is to be designed then it would have 125th exit for express buses then stops at 96th street and end and start back at 34th buses will have to bare mixed traffic between 63rd and 34th. At 42nd northbound they must leave. BRT can be above main roadway. Downtown express service improves with faster travel times.

In general the Gowanus is falling apart to pieces. True that. Ditto on the Verrazano but that's another story. (Think about why the tolls are so damn high) Now there was proposals in the 90's to replace the highway with a tunnel which never came to light.  Speaking from the perspective of one who has to drive by car to Brooklyn alot from the Bronx. The constant diversions and closed lanes on the I-278 and the BQE from the Brooklyn Bridge is a congested beyond belief as it it with closed lanes and f**ked up roadway to begin with near destroying my shocks on my Honda Accord. Interesting proposal but the real solution is what the city engineers tried to propose: Tear the damn crap down and replace it with a through tunnel. 

But I'll admit that's a catch 22. How are commuters going to get to the Brooklyn bridge and Manny B during the build, via new tunnel or as you were saying elevated beyond roadway? Any suggestions?

In general the Gowanus is falling apart to pieces. True that. Ditto on the Verrazano but that's another story. (Think about why the tolls are so damn high) Now there was proposals in the 90's to replace the highway with a tunnel which never came to light.  Speaking from the perspective of one who has to drive by car to Brooklyn alot from the Bronx. The constant diversions and closed lanes on the I-278 and the BQE from the Brooklyn Bridge is a congested beyond belief as it it with closed lanes and f**ked up roadway to begin with near destroying my shocks on my Honda Accord. Interesting proposal but the real solution is what the city engineers tried to propose: Tear the damn crap down and replace it with a through tunnel. 

But I'll admit that's a catch 22. How are commuters going to get to the Brooklyn bridge and Manny B during the build, via new tunnel or as you were saying elevated beyond roadway? Any suggestions?

connection to hugh carey tunnel. Toll those 2 bridges to reduce BQE traffic.

All non PANYNJ river crossings should be forked over to the MTA, and the tolling system needs to drastically change. Tolls on all crossings into Manhattan should be equal, and crossings that do not go into Manhattan should have their tolls lowered. As of right now, we are incentivizing drivers to go through traffic-choked Manhattan instead of using the relatively flowing outer crossings, which is something that we shouldn't be doing. We're also encouraging drivers to toll-shop in residential areas, which is also a bad thing.

this is a wishlist I created last night. these statements are in no particular order; I would like to know what you guys think of these and perhaps order them according to their importance as you guys see it. thank you.

1.      Real BRT, not SBS the way MTA and DOT do it. (see below for explanation. main issue is allowing buses to flow freely by eliminating double parking, and law enforcement is not a solution here.)

2.      Law enforcement is not an answer to complaints about slow and unreliable bus service caused by motorists disobeying traffic and parking regulations (mostly by double parking). Law enforcement is by no means a solution to these problems because the City of New York did not get to be the City of New York because of a mode of transportation (trains) that has had to depend on continuous law enforcement to be efficient or effective.

3.      If there are no surefire solutions to the issues of compromised speed and reliability that can be implemented on all NYC bus lines, then at the very least the government should attend to the bus lines on which surefire solutions to these issues can be implemented. The B44 SBS on Nostrand and Rogers Aves is one bus line on which surefire solutions to these issues (like double parking) can be implemented, and the solution I had in mind was a Jersey barrier separating the rightmost travel lane from the left travel lane.

5.      Where possible, buses need to have grade-separated rights-of-way on the sections of their routes along which there is heavy traffic. An elevated right-of-way could work if it had no stations (it would descend to street level before reaching a station served by buses using the right-of-way), were only one lane wide, and were located directly above the center of a road. The purpose of the one-lane width and the location directly above the center of a road would be to minimize the visual impact of an elevated structure on its surroundings.

6.      The capacity restrictions of the Flatbush Ave station of the IRT Nostrand Ave line should be eliminated and more trains are needed on the IRT Nostrand Ave line. Also, the Nostrand Junction should be rebuilt, but this is less important than increasing the capacity of the Flatbush Ave station.

7.      The (G) train needs to be promoted a lot more. We cannot build up Manhattan indefinitely, and Long Island City could use some more development.

8.      The Second Ave Subway should be built from E 125 St to Hanover Sq, should be either connected to the IRT Jerome or IND Concourse line or should run under Third and Webster Aves in the Bronx, and should be connected to the BMT Montague St tunnel in Brooklyn.

9.      Something should be done about the Triboro (RX) and the abandoned LIRR Rockaway line.

10.  When MTA train operators, train conductors, and bus operators cannot report for duty, there must be other train operators, train conductors, and bus operators available so that every bus and train that is supposed to be in service is in service. NO EXCEPTIONS.

1. A lot of the city doesn't have room for "real BRT". You could probably separate the lanes with as little as a small curb or the flimsy plastic bollards, and you'd get the psychological message across.

2. I think they're installing road cameras (or trying to) to cut down on things like this. Overall, however, parking supply needs to be better managed, because by the laws of supply and demand, we're actually undercharging for parking (hence much more demand than supply).

3. A jersey barrier is a bit too big for something like that, and plastic bollards would be better.

4. Amen - we have too many politicians in this city who pay lip service to transit and then board a limo to go home.

5. I don't really agree with grade separation - it's not absolutely necessary except in the most congested areas (Flushing, Jamaica), and even then it should definitely not be elevated, and not as a single lane (this reduces capacity by a lot)

6. I'm pretty sure Nostrand is the bottleneck on the IRT right now.

7. Yes, but we should also encourage some outer borough transit hubs (Fordham, Jamaica, Flushing, ENY -this one's a long shot), to try and reduce the centralization of the city and its jobs without sending everything to Stamford and Hicksville.

8. We need a lot more subway expansion in this city, and the contracting system needs to be overhauled because we're encouraging overbuilt things that cost $2B per mile. If we can reduce the per-mile costs of our subway expansions, which are currently the most expensive in recorded history, we can extend our subway to the benefit of all residents of the outer boroughs.

9. Triboro should be done, and Rockaway shouldn't IMO, for reasons that I've gone into in that giant Future SBS thread in the bus forum.

10. The MTA actually needs a lot of workplace reform - I've heard that station booth operators are not allowed to leave the booth while on the job, except for extremely special circumstances. In fact, two years ago I think there was a lawsuit because a woman was raped in front of a subway booth, within full view of an agent, but he was reportedly not allowed to do anything due to work rules.

1 and 3: plastic bollards are just fine.

5: let me explain what I meant by a single lane, using the B44 SBS as an example:

-an elevated road over Nostrand between "I" and Flatbush, with this road descending to street level before the northbound B44 SBS stop, so northbound B44 SBS buses can bypass all the traffic and then stop where they will be stopping under the SBS plan. note that the elevated road between "I" and Flatbush is for northbound B44 SBS buses only.

-an elevated road over Nostrand between Farragut and Flatbush, with this road descending to street level either just before the southbound B44 SBS stop or just before Flatbush Ave (where the no standing anytime zone is), so southbound B44 SBS buses can bypass all the traffic and then stop where they will be stopping under the SBS plan. note that the elevated road between Farragut and Flatbush is for southbound B44 SBS buses only.

if you disagree with this, then what would you want instead? do you realize how ridiculous it will be for the southbound SBS to not stop at Glenwood Rd, where a lot of people get off, just so it can sit in traffic waiting to reach "H" and then expect the people to walk from "H" back to Glenwood to go to the B6? there is also the B103, at Flatbush & Nostrand Aves, but the 6 is more frequent.

having an official drop off stop at Glenwood for southbound buses could create the complication of buses having to go to the curb and then pull out into traffic, contending with traffic, and then you have the problem with traffic signals and whatnot

6: yes, but it is financially, politically, and physically easier to increase the capacity of Flatbush & Nostrand Aves than it is to rebuild Nostrand JCT. with Flatbush Ave you can extend the platforms 50 to 100 feet northward and if necessary move the diamond switch by the same displacement, and while this is going on you can terminate trains at Church Ave or Beverly Rd if need be. with Nostrand JCT you might be looking at no service east of Franklin and shuttle buses replacing it for a long, long time (think current Rockaways situation but worse since the IRT has more ridership than the Rockaway line).

and they could send more trains down Nostrand while sending the same number of trains east of Utica without fixing Nostrand JCT. just run some 7th Ave trains from 148 to Flatbush instead of Utica/New Lots and for each 7th Ave train you take away from Utica/New Lots, send a (4) train out to New Lots. although this would probably have to wait until Lenox got NTTs or something, because we would not want non-NTTs at Flatbush, especially during the week.

What should be done about the FB station is to have a cross under so they can have the tracks extend pas the station for about a full train length so they don't have to slow to a crawl before the bumpers at the end of the station. Having a cross under would give people a more direct way of getting from one platform to the other without the need to go around the length of the train to get there.

Also if there are delays on the 2/5 lines, they really should send a 3/4 train down to FB and fill the gap as it is always insane trying to get on the 2 while the 4 to Utica is nearly empty. No, I'm not saying if every time there is some 7-10 min gap but if it is like 15 min (midday and rush hours), then they really need to divert a train to fill the gap. Cases like that.

once they make the B44 SBS I am hoping it will make sense to take the (3) to Nostrand and then the B44 SBS to wherever along Nostrand when the (2) is messed up. at least for unlimited MC users (like me). more so on weekends than weekdays.

the issue with sending a (3) or (4) to FB is that people waiting for the (2) in Manhattan have no way of knowing whether the (3) will connect to a (4) going to FB; MTA is horrible when it comes to communication sometimes. also again those huge gaps in service seem to be more of a weekend problem than a weekday problem. unless you have some crazy experiences with these lines, it seems to me like it would be pretty hard for both the (2) and (5) to be so screwed up during midday and rush that there are 15 minute gaps between FB trains.

10. When MTA train operators, train conductors, and bus operators cannot report for duty, there must be other train operators, train conductors, and bus operators available so that every bus and train that is supposed to be in service is in service. NO EXCEPTIONS.

They do...its called the extra list. Its pretty much standby operators/conductors/train operators that step in when the regular assigned person isn't able to do it for whatever reason.

But you also have to keep in consideration that occasionally equipment does break down in the middle of the route so that train/bus would be MIA until another train/bus is about to make its way to the location to keep service or said equipment is fixed on the spot.

I know about the extra list. but we all know very well that there have been plenty of missing runs that have gone unfilled in the past regardless of the fact that the extra list is in place. if this is not an issue like it was a couple of years ago, great, but I do not want it going back to that.

1 and 3: plastic bollards are just fine.

5: let me explain what I meant by a single lane, using the B44 SBS as an example:

-an elevated road over Nostrand between "I" and Flatbush, with this road descending to street level before the northbound B44 SBS stop, so northbound B44 SBS buses can bypass all the traffic and then stop where they will be stopping under the SBS plan. note that the elevated road between "I" and Flatbush is for northbound B44 SBS buses only.

-an elevated road over Nostrand between Farragut and Flatbush, with this road descending to street level either just before the southbound B44 SBS stop or just before Flatbush Ave (where the no standing anytime zone is), so southbound B44 SBS buses can bypass all the traffic and then stop where they will be stopping under the SBS plan. note that the elevated road between Farragut and Flatbush is for southbound B44 SBS buses only.

if you disagree with this, then what would you want instead? do you realize how ridiculous it will be for the southbound SBS to not stop at Glenwood Rd, where a lot of people get off, just so it can sit in traffic waiting to reach "H" and then expect the people to walk from "H" back to Glenwood to go to the B6? there is also the B103, at Flatbush & Nostrand Aves, but the 6 is more frequent.

having an official drop off stop at Glenwood for southbound buses could create the complication of buses having to go to the curb and then pull out into traffic, contending with traffic, and then you have the problem with traffic signals and whatnot

6: yes, but it is financially, politically, and physically easier to increase the capacity of Flatbush & Nostrand Aves than it is to rebuild Nostrand JCT. with Flatbush Ave you can extend the platforms 50 to 100 feet northward and if necessary move the diamond switch by the same displacement, and while this is going on you can terminate trains at Church Ave or Beverly Rd if need be. with Nostrand JCT you might be looking at no service east of Franklin and shuttle buses replacing it for a long, long time (think current Rockaways situation but worse since the IRT has more ridership than the Rockaway line).

and they could send more trains down Nostrand while sending the same number of trains east of Utica without fixing Nostrand JCT. just run some 7th Ave trains from 148 to Flatbush instead of Utica/New Lots and for each 7th Ave train you take away from Utica/New Lots, send a (4) train out to New Lots. although this would probably have to wait until Lenox got NTTs or something, because we would not want non-NTTs at Flatbush, especially during the week.

Are there switch tracks that allows (4) express trains to switch directly from utica eastern express tracks between rutland rd so a (4) can go to new lots without having to go local after franklin? Sorry for me not knowing.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/pm_southeast_2.png

you can run trains EXP to Utica and then switch them to the LCL track to run to New Lots. eastbound EXP trains have to stop at Utica on the EXP track and then switch to the LCL track east of Utica (via that blackened diamond switch on the upper level, the thicker lines) to go to New Lots. westbound EXP trains coming from New Lots have to stop at Utica on the LCL track and then switch to the EXP track west of Utica (via that blackened diamond switch on the lower level, the thinner, dashed lines).

connection to hugh carey tunnel. Toll those 2 bridges to reduce BQE traffic.

Pipe dreams, tolling the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridge is committing suicide in NYC.

Another thing, if you think tolling those bridges are going to reduce BQE traffic, I got some bad news for you.

--

As another avid driver that takes mass transit occasionally, some of these ideas are too outrageous.

1. Overhead roadway on Nostrand/Flatbush area?  Yeah right, just imagining that is already causing headaches as a driver.  If you want to provide better bus service but disrupt roadways in the process, you'll have a riot.  I've driven around the junction numerous times and even though it's bad already, overhead roadways will cause more problems IMO.

2. Side note, on sudden GO's and such.  On the (B) / (Q) , there were many occasions where my (B) would go local and when checking the MTA website, it'll say "Good Service" and nothing else.  Then there are days where it posts the GO on the site but everything is running normal.  Maybe it's just my bad luck for those times. 

Pipe dreams, tolling the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridge is committing suicide in NYC.

Another thing, if you think tolling those bridges are going to reduce BQE traffic, I got some bad news for you.

--

As another avid driver that takes mass transit occasionally, some of these ideas are too outrageous.

1. Overhead roadway on Nostrand/Flatbush area?  Yeah right, just imagining that is already causing headaches as a driver.  If you want to provide better bus service but disrupt roadways in the process, you'll have a riot.  I've driven around the junction numerous times and even though it's bad already, overhead roadways will cause more problems IMO.

2. Side note, on sudden GO's and such.  On the (B) / (Q) , there were many occasions where my (B) would go local and when checking the MTA website, it'll say "Good Service" and nothing else.  Then there are days where it posts the GO on the site but everything is running normal.  Maybe it's just my bad luck for those times. 

how so?

how so?

Have you seen the BQE, or Woodhaven and Queens Blvd?

Elevated ramps and lanes, even those that are only for short stretches, cause property values to plummet and have a chilling effect on the surrounding pedestrian environment. Bus lanes could do the same work, with traffic cameras and enforcement.

Archived