Question about the (7) train singles

Calvin

Mostly during this year, Im seeing the singles forming into 5 cars (1961-2155). Few months ago, the (7) used to be 5 car set then 6 singles in different numbers. Now a (7) train is a 5 car set then a single then a 5 car singles in numeral order. . Is this have anything to do with the (6) train getting R62As later on in the future?

Before:

EX: 1651-1655:2147:2021:2016:1968:1969:2000

Now:

EX: 2020.2019.2018.2017.2016:1948:1681-1685

The ones you see in numerical order have already been linked into permanent 5-car sets as part of the R-62A SMS.  Some cars will remain single so as to allow the (7) to continue running eleven-car trains.  Once they get transferred to the (6), they will probably be linked up as well (or not, considering all the about-faces the MTA has done in the past as it pertains to car equipment).

They likely are all getting linked up for when they get to the (6) and they likely will all get converted to full width cabs as well for westchesters crew.

from what i heard, i believe this is totally correct

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

A majority of the R62A fleet of singles out at Corona has been arranged in proper order coupled to two Redbirds on each end and shipped off to either CIY or 207Y one 5 car set at any given time to be linked permanently in preparation for their shipment back to Westchester. The cab adjustments are not guaranteed as the set currently running on the 6 has one of it's five car sets with no full width cabs. No word yet on what's going to happen with that neither.

1966 up to 2155 have been linked into 5-car sets without full cabs, 1901-1965 are all still singles and from what I hear some of them may be future work cars when all the R62As go to the (6) . The Broadway singles, 1917-1926 are staying on the (7) and will either go to the (6) or become work cars when they do. cars 1925 & 1926 now have LEDs just like the other Flushing R62A's:

R62A1925LED_zps61c736d4.jpg

Plus the 7 extension to 34th st is going to need a few more trains. So I dunno if even with the brand new 11 car R188 trains will be enough for having some R62As as work trains. Now there is 1906-10, minus 1909 which would be ideal for track 3 on the S or as work trains as that can't be a 5 car train.

1966 up to 2155 have been linked into 5-car sets without full cabs, 1901-1965 are all still singles and from what I hear some of them may be future work cars when all the R62As go to the (6) . The Broadway singles, 1917-1926 are staying on the (7) and will either go to the (6) or become work cars when they do. cars 1925 & 1926 now have LEDs just like the other Flushing R62A's:

Its unlikely the R62As 1917-1926 will be work cars if they dont go to the (6) then that set will be likely moved around to whatever line would need an extra set of cars likely the (1) or the (4) would be the lines to get the set for extra service if needed.

Oh wow I thought that all red stripe R62As werent gonna get those

I'm confused because it says for car assaignments that there are r62s on the (6) not R62As and how are the R142As being converted R188s being replaced on the (6)? Also, what's with swapping of the cars between the (1) and (7) and (6). Can you please give me a detailed explanation of which cars are on which line? Thank You

I'm confused because it says for car assaignments that there are r62s on the (6) not R62As and how are the R142As being converted R188s being replaced on the (6)? Also, what's with swapping of the cars between the (1) and (7) and (6). Can you please give me a detailed explanation of which cars are on which line? Thank You

Lets sum it all up...

The (1) and (7) both use R62As. Only difference is that a lot of them were kept as singles for the (7) to make 11 car trains.

The (6) uses R142As for now.

The R188 order is a mix of new cars and upgraded R142As for the (7)

What is happening is that the R62As on the (7) are being sent to the (6) and at the same time, the R142As on the (6) are being upgraded into R188s and going to the (7)

The (1) just so happened to have singles that went to the (7)

...the end

It goes a little deeper than that.

The whole thing starts with the 6 and then the 7 follows shortly behind.

First the 6 as mentioned which will lose it's existing R142As to the 7 line. The R188 orders are coming in and being tested .Two sets of 5 have already been removed from Westchester 7211-7220. They were removed and either are due to receive or have already received the CBTC upgrade. 7216 was last spotted in Unionport Yard as of today. I can't speak for the other 5. The 6 line was never known has having a wealth of cars in its yard so the 7 which has some extra cars running around from time to time spotted two sets of 5 R62As to the 6 line as the early stage of the car swap.

The 7 as I mentioned which does have some extra cars running around from time to time has been short as of late because a majority of singles were being shipped off to Coney Island or 207th with pairs of Redbirds attached at each end. The purpose has been to turn them into 5 car married sets in number order. Mainly for the purpose of and preparation of shipping them back to Westchester where the 10 car train is king in the rest of the A division. As a result a car shortage has been created on the 7 line and in turn the 1 had to donate.

The 1 donates it's R62As because other than the 7 line it's the only line running R62As meaning it's sets of 5 cars can be linked up to anything sitting in Corona Yard and Corona Yard would have no problem maintaining them, but in turn a car shortage is created on the 1 line and this is where the 3 line comes in.

The 3 line donated 4 sets of 5 car R62s to the 1 line to make up for the shortfall of cars at 240th Yard. The 3 line doesn't run enough service to need all of its trains and always had a fair share sitting in it's respective yards. If major maintenance is needed the move to get the  cars to it's main barn would not be overly complicated, but service could be provided for the 1 without complication.

But the 7 in the past ran 6 single units. Isn't it a 'simple' matter of 'folding' the cab from full width to a partial one and then add the single car to the end of the train? Basically have 2 5-car units and a single.

Yes the 7 ran 6 singles in the past but none of the singles contained a full width cab. It would've defeated the purpose of having a single. Only the 5 car sets have full width cabs. The recent marriage of singles into 5 car sets where performed without reverting the cabs back to full width status.

There are still plenty of singles left that will remain as singles until the R142A R188 swap gets underway in order to continue providing 11 car train service for the 7 line. That will likely not change until August. Also the converting of singles into 5 car sets is performed at one of the two overhaul shops of Coney Island Yard or 207th Street Yard. Even the shuttle cars have been converted into 3 and 4 car sets.

To sum it all up for you originally an R62 from the (3) was supposed to go to the (6) cause of the shortage but since eventually the R62 had to go back to the (3) it seems that it made no sense to send it to the (6) so instead the swaps with the (6) and the (7) started earlier than expected. The (1) lines R62As have been on the (7) due to sms happening on flushings cars so they are there to temporarily replace flushings R62As that are getting sms eventually they will go back to the (1). As you may know 380 R142As from the (6) are being converted with cbtc and are being sent to the (7) in exchange 380 R62As are being sent back to the (6) were they are all be converted to full width cabs to benefit westchester yards crew (if you have been on the R62A on the (6) and you see its full width cab now that is why). The other remaining R62As is not known were they will go to yet. Last but not least to provide service on the (1) the R62 from the (3) reason being some of its R62As are on the (7). Since the (3) does not require all of its R62s for service there is no shortage there.

Yes the 7 ran 6 singles in the past but none of the singles contained a full width cab. It would've defeated the purpose of having a single. Only the 5 car sets have full width cabs. The recent marriage of singles into 5 car sets where performed without reverting the cabs back to full width status.

There are still plenty of singles left that will remain as singles until the R142A R188 swap gets underway in order to continue providing 11 car train service for the 7 line. That will likely not change until August. Also the converting of singles into 5 car sets is performed at one of the two overhaul shops of Coney Island Yard or 207th Street Yard. Even the shuttle cars have been converted into 3 and 4 car sets.
Oh i know the singles never had full width cabs, I meant the 5 car sets like the 1700s had to have the full width cab folded in so the single car wouldn't be isolated. I guess it makes sense about the singles in 5car sets don't have the full width cab so they won't need to fold more full width cabs on the original 5car sets.

I see that the singles are connected elsewhere. I would've thought they could do that in Corona, but I guess not. I still don't see the point of the Shuttle's singles being 3 car fixed units. It's one thing if all the tracks were 3 tracks, but couldn't they just attach 2 cars so they can attach a single or another 2 car pair? Seems short sighted imo. Also when cars are linked, can they be 'unlinked'? I mean eventually (if the TS end is reconstructed to hold 5 car trains) the 3/4 car trains are going to need another car or 2.

The shuttle cars have NOT been linked together, I examined a few trains and the cars have a few couplers. You can blame that error on me guys, I was the one who told you about it on the website at theJoeKorner.com. (I see some of their info isn't right as well).

Its official, All the Broadway singles are staying on the (7) until they go to the (6). 1922 is awaiting the LED process at Corona Yard, hooked up to a redbird last time I saw it. I think I know why the (7) is holding onto 1891-1895 and 2236-2240, since 1741-1745 & 1746-1750 are on the (6). The (7) doesn't need all those singles though, now that they have extra half cab 5-car sets.

Archived