R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

Today while at the train simulator at 130 Livingston, we found out something surprising. The 7 line will be CBTC. This is not surprising news. The surprising news was the subway cars will be R188s. They will be identical to the R142 and R142A, but will have two screens (like the R143 and R160), and the Master Controller will be on the right side (just like the R143 and R160). This came from our TSSs, who were teaching our subway simulator class.......

Now for the subway simulator, it was fun. It's graphics were equal to the MSTS Berlin Subway, except you get a 3D view in the simulator, plus the simulator shakes, moves, and what-not.....The simulator is R142, R160, and one B Div SMEE train, but they can't get that one up and running yet.......

Now you all can do as usual, debate about the R188, and whether it is true or not. I'll take the TSS's word for this though...... If this comes to par, there will be extra trains, since the 7 line will have no use for the R62s.......

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright so that means the R188 will probably come right after the R179. Now what's interesting will be the bit about the digital local/express signs they've been using on the R62As on the 7. Maybe since there will be no rollsigns on the R188 and you know the side signs are going to say Flushing Exp or Flushing Local in the text display area, then those new digital signs on the R62As on the 7 will become obsolete.

Any word as to who the manufacturer will be?

Today while at the train simulator at 130 Livingston, we found out something surprising. The 7 line will be CBTC. This is not surprising news. The surprising news was the subway cars will be R188s. They will be identical to the R142 and R142A, but will have two screens (like the R143 and R160), and the Master Controller will be on the right side (just like the R143 and R160). This came from our TSSs, who were teaching our subway simulator class.......

Now for the subway simulator, it was fun. It's graphics were equal to the MSTS Berlin Subway, except you get a 3D view in the simulator, plus the simulator shakes, moves, and what-not.....The simulator is R142, R160, and one B Div SMEE train, but they can't get that one up and running yet.......

Now you all can do as usual, debate about the R188, and whether it is true or not. I'll take the TSS's word for this though...... If this comes to par, there will be extra trains, since the 7 line will have no use for the R62s.......

I heard the same thing. I saw these T/Os chatting about "new trains" on the (7). I was like what? Now i know.

Now what's interesting will be the bit about the digital local/express signs they've been using on the R62As on the 7. Maybe since there will be no rollsigns on the R188 and you know the side signs are going to say Flushing Exp or Flushing Local in the text display area, then those new digital signs on the R62As on the 7 will become obsolete.

I've only seen them on one trainset.

Now for the R188... what kinda propulsion is it gonna have (or you think it's gonna have)?

Okay, I talk to the superintendent of the 7-line, who is my best friend, and determined the R188 will be the new train for the IRT division. It will be the same type as the R142 (model), but it will have the same technology features as the R160 (FIND, Doors, etc.). As to who will be building them, they have to decide whether it will be a split (Alstom/Kawasaki) or just one company. These are supposed to be in design by next year.

make it one company. kawasaki with siemens.

its good news to hear about new trains....but im NOT happy to hear that it will be identical to the R-142....this means that the R-179 will most likely be identical to the R-143 & R-160....which I find to be depressing....I DO NOT want all subway trains to look alike...that takes the fun out of it:(

only if I lived during the 70's....

Sounds like a trial balloon to me although the (7) is going CBTC next. The obvious question is where is the money coming from to pay for these cars. The MTA and TA bosses already are crying broke. This sounds like another proposal to justify a bigger fare hike. Second Ave, (7) extension, and Fulton St. hub are still in the pipeline and are more worthy and essential than new cars for the (7) in my opinion.

Sounds like a trial balloon to me although the (7) is going CBTC next. The obvious question is where is the money coming from to pay for these cars. The MTA and TA bosses already are crying broke. This sounds like another proposal to justify a bigger fare hike. Second Ave, (7) extension, and Fulton St. hub are still in the pipeline and are more worthy and essential than new cars for the (7) in my opinion.

The TA will always have money for new cars and buses, even if the budget for other projects is lacking.

Agreed the R62A's are in good shape and are not even that old!

Interesting developments!

its good news to hear about new trains....but im NOT happy to hear that it will be identical to the R-142....this means that the R-179 will most likely be identical to the R-143 & R-160....which I find to be depressing....I DO NOT want all subway trains to look alike...that takes the fun out of it:(

only if I lived during the 70's....

Not to rain on your parade, but, yes there were more variety in car types, but uhhhh you would not want to railfan during the hell years. You'd likely get mugged or stabbed etc if you hung out in the system too long. Was some dangerous times in nyc back then.

- Andy

Agree. The (7)<7> is fine as is for 4-5 more years i think, or at least till the (NYCT) budget gets out of a coma.

- Andy

I hope the R188 has a slant. That would be cool, an IRT slant. But I don't want it just for railfan purposes, it would greatly help with aerodynamics. Maybe a 20 degree slant instead of the R40's 15 degree slant? Same goes for the R179s IMO.

I'm also not looking forward to it looking like an R142 with R160 features...R142 look pretty cool but I agree that it is pretty bland without the front. The R142 interior is ok. Kawasaki better flatten out the kinks with the FIND...Alstom FIND screens seem ok. Or is it Panasonic's fault?

I hope the R188 has a slant. That would be cool, an IRT slant. But I don't want it just for railfan purposes, it would greatly help with aerodynamics. Maybe a 20 degree slant instead of the R40's 15 degree slant? Same goes for the R179s IMO.

I'm also not looking forward to it looking like an R142 with R160 features...R142 look pretty cool but I agree that it is pretty bland without the front. The R142 interior is ok. Kawasaki better flatten out the kinks with the FIND...Alstom FIND screens seem ok. Or is it Panasonic's fault?

That would be cool

Archived