R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

I hope the R188 has a slant. That would be cool, an IRT slant. But I don't want it just for railfan purposes, it would greatly help with aerodynamics. Maybe a 20 degree slant instead of the R40's 15 degree slant? Same goes for the R179s IMO.

I'm also not looking forward to it looking like an R142 with R160 features...R142 look pretty cool but I agree that it is pretty bland without the front. The R142 interior is ok. Kawasaki better flatten out the kinks with the FIND...Alstom FIND screens seem ok. Or is it Panasonic's fault?

Funny you should talk about slants because I designed an IRT slant about 5 years ago. Well I guess designed is a bit too official but I drew it in MS paint.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny you should talk about slants because I designed an IRT slant about 5 years ago. Well I guess designed is a bit too official but I drew it in MS paint.

Put it up. Let us see it, if you want to. Maybe we, the members of NYCTF, could design the exterior car body and submit it to the (MTA)... (like in a million years, but worth a shot)

Having slanted ends is a blessing and a curse. Yes, it dramatically increases aerodynamic efficiency, but you also need to let cars be able to be put "in the middle", and you dont want cab "end" cars being so cab specific, in case they fail, you dont want to have a cab car shortage. I would say buy them as 4 or 8 car sets, but be able to add non cab cars in the middle to get it to 8 or 10 cars respectively. I think having a slant configuration like the R40 how they have the hand rails to guide people between cars is a good starting point, but make the hand rails aerodynamic as well, plus engineer the rails from the beginning instead of having to add them on, or even having the option of removing them on the end cars for even better efficiency. I think adding an aerodynamic skirt around the sides and front as long as it doesn't interfere with heat dissipation and bogie movement would be a good idea too. Put them on hinges for easy access to stuff under there. Maybe a bottom plate would help too, maybe make it so it slides out of the way or opens in places that need frequent access. Maybe a fiberglass roof?

- Andy

Yeah, I read somewhere that the slant design may have been more popular if it was in sets rather than in married pairs.

They could come in orders of 6 with 2 slant ends each, with the ability to fill in other non slant cars between Have them be 68 feet.

- Andy

The TA will always have money for new cars and buses, even if the budget for other projects is lacking.
Right now the IRT has a major project called ATS which is years late and well over budget. It's supposed to be up and running in both divisions right now. I would venture to guess that when the NYS Comptroller's office finishes with the review of MTA (and TA)'s books and finances that new subway cars for the (7) will be among the first things axed. There is no car shortage in the IRT and they're already trumpeting the improved MTBF stats on the cars they have now. If new cars are coming in the next 5-7 years they will go to the BMT-IND lines first.

so wait the cars will br 6 sets with the ends (cab) being slanted?

No, its just an idea. Tram style cars is what they really need, nice and sleek and lightweight.

http://www.greecetravel.com/photos/athens/everyday-athens/PhotoAlbum1/athens-tram.jpg

Imagine a blend that tram front end and the subway cars we know & love.

- Andy

Having slanted ends is a blessing and a curse. Yes, it dramatically increases aerodynamic efficiency, but you also need to let cars be able to be put "in the middle", and you dont want cab "end" cars being so cab specific, in case they fail, you dont want to have a cab car shortage. I would say buy them as 4 or 8 car sets, but be able to add non cab cars in the middle to get it to 8 or 10 cars respectively. I think having a slant configuration like the R40 how they have the hand rails to guide people between cars is a good starting point, but make the hand rails aerodynamic as well, plus engineer the rails from the beginning instead of having to add them on, or even having the option of removing them on the end cars for even better efficiency. I think adding an aerodynamic skirt around the sides and front as long as it doesn't interfere with heat dissipation and bogie movement would be a good idea too. Put them on hinges for easy access to stuff under there. Maybe a bottom plate would help too, maybe make it so it slides out of the way or opens in places that need frequent access. Maybe a fiberglass roof?

- Andy

I agree that they should be in 5-car sets (or in this case, 5- and 6-car sets). If the R40 slants were in 5-car sets then they would be much better off, since passing through cars would be less dangerous. The cabs would befull-width too, but maybe they could have a railfan portal like the R62/A...About the fiberglass roof, maybe it should be almost completely stainless steel, except maybe the end bonnet. What do you mean by the skirt?

sorry if im a little late on this, but:

R188:

-should NOT look like R142/R143/R160

-should have a slant

-should be built by Budd or bombardier

-should have a railfan window of course

-should be 100% stainless steel, no fiberglass or plastic

-should be tested for at least 6 months in passenger service non-stop 24/7 and if even a single screw comes loose send it back

R188:

-should have a slant

-should be tested for at least 6 months in passenger service non-stop 24/7 and if even a single screw comes loose send it back

Well you know, all but maybe Bomb building them, isn't going to happen, so better get the water works ready to flow from the eyes, when the R188 debuts whenever........

R188:

-should have a slant

1. Agree

2. If it has a slant, have it as a bullet style slant

3. Budd doesn't make rail cars anymore, and I say no to Bombardier. I say Kawasaki since they've built all or part of all classes of NTTs. Who doesn't love Japanese technology?

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. :eek::)

1. Agree

3. Budd doesn't make rail cars anymore, and I say no to Bombardier. I say Kawasaki since they've built all or part of all classes of NTTs. Who doesn't love Japanese technology?

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. :eek::)

iagree with u too

1. Agree

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. :eek::P

yea and look how quickly their falling apart

the kawasaki A-div cars are ok, but their B div cars are just total trash

I agree that they should be in 5-car sets (or in this case, 5- and 6-car sets). If the R40 slants were in 5-car sets then they would be much better off, since passing through cars would be less dangerous. The cabs would befull-width too, but maybe they could have a railfan portal like the R62/A...About the fiberglass roof, maybe it should be almost completely stainless steel, except maybe the end bonnet. What do you mean by the skirt?

Fiberglass roof for weight savings, also won't dent or rust or fatigue. Skirt, like a aerodynamic shell around the odd shaped parts under the car going from end to end along the sides and front, could also be fiberglass or carbon plastic, for the same reasons. Also easier to clean.

Edit: Fiberglass also is fireproof.

-Andy

This is exciting news. The 7 should have their own subway cars like they used to have with the R36's. Plus they won't have to take the R142A's aways from my line the 6, so I have even more reason to be excited by this. I just hope the MTA will have enough money to buy them. I am hopeful that this will happen.

a good well-built subway car wouldn't need a warrenty dammit, even kawasaki thinks their shitty then
No, Kawasaki wouldn't think that because Kawasaki would be out of business then.

Theres a reason for the warranty. Your not going to build a new train and then just let it loose. Its like when you get a new dog, you wouldn't want to get it and let it loose unleashed.

Kawasaki is doing the same, keeping the trains on a leash for now so that MTA personnel and mechanics can learn see how to fix a specific problem when need be.

Also, these trains have new technology that need to be on check everytime since again, its new technology.

Theres a first to everything and it takes a few tries to get things right.

Nothing new is always perfect and thats how some you act, as if the train is perfect upon delievery, thats not how things go.

Really, get over it and try to at least accept this.

You people are lucky there are laws around here, that subway cars have to be replaced every 40 years or so, if not the subway would be much more problematic than it already is.

NTT = New Techonology Trains

Remember, New Techonology......

No, Kawasaki wouldn't think that because Kawasaki would be out of business then.

Theres a reason for the warranty. Your not going to build a new train and then just let it loose. Its like when you get a new dog, you wouldn't want to get it and let it loose unleashed.

Kawasaki is doing the same, keeping the trains on a leash for now so that MTA personnel and mechanics can learn see how to fix a specific problem when need be.

Also, these trains have new technology that need to be on check everytime since again, its new technology.

Theres a first to everything and it takes a few tries to get things right.

Nothing new is always perfect and thats how some you act, as if the train is perfect upon delievery, thats not how things go.

Really, get over it and try to at least accept this.

You people are lucky there are laws around here, that subway cars have to be replaced every 40 years or so, if not the subway would be much more problematic than it already is.

NTT = New Techonology Trains

Remember, New Techonology......

I agree 110%!! The newer the technology, the more bugs need to be worked out. In the end, I am sure the NTT's will have a service life much greater than those of the current/old rolling stock.

Archived