R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

So...... any idea on when this R188 could arrive??

I'm getting one for my birthday next year. Kidding. I think they still need to make room for the R160's, shuffle the remaining older cars around and sadly.... retire a bunch more older cars before more car types could fit. I'd guess 2011, just in time for WTC being done seeing (MTA) is broke rite now.

- Andy

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some quick points to you fans....

1- The HVAC package on the 142 cars are extremely loud. So much so that T/Os and C/Rs are mandated to wear ear plugs or muffs at all times while working on the(2) or (5) lines.

2- The 142 and 142A cars were built with a slip/slide feature (computerized) for smooth acceleration and braking. Once these cars were put on the road it was found that any moisture on the rails would cause the wheels to spin individually at times. That's where the bucking comes from. A light misty rain or snow makes these cars worse than any other type of car out there today from a T/O's perspective.

3- The strip maps on the (2),(5) lines work just fine. We just swap each others cars during the rush hours at Flatbush Ave so by Wednesday afternoon sometimes almost half of each lines fleet is running elsewhere. As for the automated station announcements they are controlled by a doppler type system and between that system and the slip/slide feature they frequently go out of synch so that the station announcement comes up well before you reach the station or not at all because it doesn't register that you're in the station with the doors open already.

4 If Con Ed has an excess of power at one of it's substations which feed the subway the practice was to shed the power into the system. With the IRT NTT the first time this happened all of the NTT shut down because the onboard computers sensed an overload. Four trains stopped dead in the vicinity of Flatbush/B'klyn College. They had to find a technician to re-boot each of those trains to get service up and running.

4-I don't know about the 143s and 160s but I was in C.I. yard Wednesday and some of us A and B division T/Os talked to some Alstom guys who were posted there to " work out the glitches " and they were aware of some of the problems with the NTTs but not one of them was aware of any new cars being ordered for either division. Neither were the supervisors in the main shop or the overhaul shop. In fact most of them, including the Alstom guys just laughed. When they asked us what we thought of our A division cars the senior guys said the only benefit most of us saw was that they were more comfortable cab wise but operationally, because of the glitches, they aren't better than the older equipment when that equipment was new.The junior guys really had no real opinion because they had no point of reference between the car classes These T/O's all had 12 years or less time on the road. In fact one said he liked the NTT because they " looked better ".

Some quick points to you fans....

1- The HVAC package on the 142 cars are extremely loud. So much so that T/Os and C/Rs are mandated to wear ear plugs or muffs at all times while working on the(2) or (5) lines.

2- The 142 and 142A cars were built with a slip/slide feature (computerized) for smooth acceleration and braking. Once these cars were put on the road it was found that any moisture on the rails would cause the wheels to spin individually at times. That's where the bucking comes from. A light misty rain or snow makes these cars worse than any other type of car out there today from a T/O's perspective.

3- The strip maps on the (2),(5) lines work just fine. We just swap each others cars during the rush hours at Flatbush Ave so by Wednesday afternoon sometimes almost half of each lines fleet is running elsewhere. As for the automated station announcements they are controlled by a doppler type system and between that system and the slip/slide feature they frequently go out of synch so that the station announcement comes up well before you reach the station or not at all because it doesn't register that you're in the station with the doors open already.

4 If Con Ed has an excess of power at one of it's substations which feed the subway the practice was to shed the power into the system. With the IRT NTT the first time this happened all of the NTT shut down because the onboard computers sensed an overload. Four trains stopped dead in the vicinity of Flatbush/B'klyn College. They had to find a technician to re-boot each of those trains to get service up and running.

4-I don't know about the 143s and 160s but I was in C.I. yard Wednesday and some of us A and B division T/Os talked to some Alstom guys who were posted there to " work out the glitches " and they were aware of some of the problems with the NTTs but not one of them was aware of any new cars being ordered for either division. Neither were the supervisors in the main shop or the overhaul shop. In fact most of them, including the Alstom guys just laughed. When they asked us what we thought of our A division cars the senior guys said the only benefit most of us saw was that they were more comfortable cab wise but operationally, because of the glitches, they aren't better than the older equipment when that equipment was new.The junior guys really had no real opinion because they had no point of reference between the car classes These T/O's all had 12 years or less time on the road. In fact one said he liked the NTT because they " looked better ".

Thank you explaining this from a T/O's prospective way

They wouldn't replace the R62/As now, those are only about 22 or so years old.

They're gonna move around the R62As that are on the (7).

Um, move to where? Extra service on the Lex, or what? Is there even any more room anywhere to put them? I did see them adding new tracks at Corona Yard (I have a pic of that somewhere); does anyone think that has anything to do with it?

Um, move to where? Extra service on the Lex, or what? Is there even any more room anywhere to put them? I did see them adding new tracks at Corona Yard (I have a pic of that somewhere); does anyone think that has anything to do with it?

We don't know yet. And retiring those R62As would be a dumb move. But who knows when those R188s come in. Its not even known how long til CBTC is working on the (7).

We don't know yet. And retiring those R62As would be a dumb move. But who knows when those R188s come in. Its not even known how long til CBTC is working on the (7).

I agree, i'm thinking nothing will be retired or moved till new cars are being delivered.

- Andy

I know the the R188 will be a new subway car for NYC Subway because I saw it on a website. We don't know when the R188 will come to the (MTA) poperty. Now the R62/R62A has more than 20 years in service for now.I hope the R188 don't come quickly yet because the R62/R62A has 20 more years to be still in service.

I know the the R188 will be a new subway car for NYC Subway because I saw it on a website. We don't know when the R188 will come to the (MTA) poperty. Now the R62/R62A has more than 20 years in service for now.I hope the R188 don't come quickly yet because the R62/R62A has 20 more years to be still in service.

They aren't going away anytime soon.

- Andy

i remember a thread that the R62A and some R62 will be "early retired" since there can be really only 2 differnt irt cars running,remember the R36,R33 ya,when the R142 came in,there were 3-4 different IRT cars running the one that used the redbirds were supposed to be replaced by the R142 on the (1),(i think the (2),(3),and teh (7),but it failed on the 7,the R142A passed on the 7,but i dont now why the hel they didnt put it in the 7 line,but now its gonna be good,because there better cars,and i think they should also go to the and (1) and (3) lines,so who nows maybe that thread is right they might early retire.

i remember a thread that the R62A and some R62 will be "early retired" since there can be really only 2 differnt irt cars running,remember the R36,R33 ya,when the R142 came in,there were 3-4 different IRT cars running the one that used the redbirds were supposed to be replaced by the R142 on the (1),(i think the (2),(3),and teh (7),but it failed on the 7,the R142A passed on the 7,but i dont now why the hel they didnt put it in the 7 line,but now its gonna be good,because there better cars,and i think they should also go to the and (1) and (3) lines,so who nows maybe that thread is right they might early retire.

they shouldn't retire the 62/A's dat early... sides there hasn't been a set date for the R188

I know im late, I know the 188 may replac the 62As on the (7) but wouldnt the TA reef the 62 orginal on the (3) and left overs on the (4) =S? as those 62s are old

So are the R62As. 22 years old is not old for a subway car.

The MTA would figure it out when the R188s start coming in. Lots of R62A moving.

Archived