R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Id put that 188 fleet a side for the (7)<7> and focus on the 46, since the 44/44SIRs are next now its time to deal with 46, build around the mid 70s another bulls**t

You're talking about two very different divisions though. R46 has nothing to do with IRT.

It would be mighty stupid of the MTA to get rid R62/As so early in their lives, which is why I doubt they would retire them at the age of like 28 or 30.

Hell, the MTA should wait to put CBTC on the (7) til its time for the R62/As to retire, unless things are really that BAD.

well heres my i idea,once the R188's come in,keep 'em running with the the R62A for an extra 4-5 years,so then there will be a mix on the (7) line,after 5 years retire SOME R62As so incase there a breakage in the (7) line they still got some R62A's as a back up,then once they figure out the problem retire all the R62As on the (7) line,and do a final run with a R62A on the (7) line and then CBTC is born on the (7) line!

well heres my i idea,once the R188's come in,keep 'em running with the the R62A for an extra 4-5 years,so then there will be a mix on the (7) line,after 5 years retire SOME R62As so incase there a breakage in the (7) line they still got some R62A's as a back up,then once they figure out the problem retire all the R62As on the (7) line,and do a final run with a R62A on the (7) line and then CBTC is born on the (7) line!

That's what they do with all new equipment, introduce it gradually.

The (4)'s are not getting the R-188's they already have the R-142's and R-142S's
Homeboy you misread it, he said more R62s should get transferred to the (1)(3) and (4) trains when the R188 comes for the (7).

EDIT: 7LineFan just beat me to it.

Homeboy you misread it, he said more R62s should get transferred to the (1)(3) and (4) trains when the R188 comes for the (7).

EDIT: 7LineFan just beat me to it.

I read it correctly....I just worded my comment wrong.....if and/or when the R-188's go on the (7)<7>....the R-62A's will not get transferred to the (4)'s that don't make make sense since the (4)'s got NTT's and a few R-62's!

I read it correctly....I just worded my comment wrong.....if and/or when the R-188's go on the (7)<7>....the R-62A's will not get transferred to the (4)'s that don't make make sense since the (4)'s got NTT's and a few R-62's!

The (4)'s are not getting the R-188's they already have the R-142's and R-142S's

But it's right anyhow. The (4) won't be getting new cars for a while, unless a train of R188s replaces the train of R62s...

What they might do with the extra cars, which would make a lot of sense, is use the 62's to replace all the remaining old work cars, especially the carbon steel stuff. So all the redbirds that recently entered work service; whichever other older cars; the 40's currently in B Div. garbage train service. Then they could get rid of stuff like the continuous welded rail trains, in which they took stuff like R15-22's and cut out the bottoms of the end walls, so that the rails could run from car to car. With the 62's, the bonnets are fiberglass, so no cutting of metal carbodies would be needed. And they're already in five car sets. No more rusting and repainting of ANYTHING needed!

I can't see how the (MTA) could get away with a premature scrapping of perfectly good cars simply on the grounds that they're not new-tech. Especially with a pending fare-hike and constant complaints of not enough money for pretty much anything.

We dunno what the MTA plans to do with the R62As yet. Lord knows when those R188s come in anyway.

We dunno what the MTA plans to do with the R62As yet. Lord knows when those R188s come in anyway.

Especially when the General Supt. of the Lex lines (4),(5),(6) and the CTO(acting) know nothing about the R 188 cars. Word is the 62's and 62A's aren't going anywhere any time soon. The general consensus in the Car Equipment Dept. was the same when I asked around. So far no one " in the know" in the A Division has heard anything about new cars for the A division. The buzz here is about cutting back and making do with what's already in the pipeline or on the rails today in both divisions. Can't say what'll happen in 10 years but right now forget it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
all i know is, dont expect them anytime before 2014. and i hears a while ago 188s were gonns be a sixth car of every other set of 142 5 car sets that will be assigned to the 7.

that'll be dumb,the R142A on the (7) line? and with like only 1 new IRT subway cars on each R142A set? i really think that line should get newer IRT cars

that'll be dumb,the R142A on the (7) line? and with like only 1 new IRT subway cars on each R142A set? i really think that line should get newer IRT cars

Why should they order an entire new fleet of IRT cars when there are enough cars between the existing fleets plus the additional which will come from these extra B-cars??? That would involve prematurely scrapping R-62/As and wasting money for no reason. If these R-188s are eventually built, the (7) will then have new tech trains which will hopefully ease confusion with sign-flexibility and announcements. And the added benefit of freeing up those R-62As (some with RFWs) for use on the Lex.

Archived