R188 Discussion Thread

DOB2RTO

this is freakin awsome! yay! finally,the (7)<7> gets R142A + R188's!

that is what i call a nice combo! just hope it starts at 2009 or 2010

Under the R188 contract IINM, R142As would be converted to R188s. Just some extra stuff, nothing major, like what you would do if you were to convert an R143 into an R160.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Under the R188 contract IINM, R142As would be converted to R188s. Just some extra stuff, nothing major, like what you would do if you were to convert an R143 into an R160.

but i dont get it,it says there gonna order 186 new cars (including option cars) with converting the R142/A to be CBTC compatible (131 cars to be converted)

if this is true,then that will suck,at least some new subway cars

but i dont get it,it says there gonna order 186 new cars (including option cars) with converting the R142/A to be CBTC compatible (131 cars to be converted)

if this is true,then that will suck,at least some new subway cars

don't forget the 189 conversion kits that are on option for the MTA to perform onsite.

the total of 506 cars should be more than enough for a CBTC(7)<7>

Well, Roosevelt Ave, Queens Plaza and Union TPK had why not the last old main station be renovated? And I think it is still too early to replace R-44 and R-46. R62/A and R68/A are too too early. They are running fine, no problems that needs replacement...

there not gonna get retired,they may be just moved to other lines for extra service,if they get retired,then that will suck

Great news The R188 project is cancelled because of the buget cut backs so the R62/R62A will not retire early no more and R188 will never be built. The R44 will be 40 years old in 2013 and it will retire in 2014 or 2015 and will be replaced by the R179. The R46 will be 40 years old in 2017 and it will be replaced by any subway car after R179. The R68/R68A will not retire early until there 40 years old in 2029.

Great news The R188 project is cancelled because of the buget cut backs so the R62/R62A will not retire early no more and R188 will never be built. The R44 will be 40 years old in 2013 and it will retire in 2014 or 2015 and will be replaced by the R179. The R46 will be 40 years old in 2017 and it will be replaced by any subway car after R179. The R68/R68A will not retire early until there 40 years old in 2029.

sure the MTA is in dept,but they still have money to buy new subway cars,if they cant buy R188's,then they cant buy the R179s.maybe they wont convert the R142/A's,just get SOME extra R188's,enough to fill the corona yard

sure the MTA is in dept,but they still have money to buy new subway cars,if they cant buy R188's,then they cant buy the R179s.maybe they wont convert the R142/A's,just get SOME extra R188's,enough to fill the corona yard

The theory behind that is, if they are allocated the money to buy new subway cars, they are going to spend every last penny of it because that money is "guaranteed"... so it's possible we could see R179s and R188s, one, or neither in the future...

• 4 weeks later...
Source...? Either way it dodesn't really matter since the R62 are in good condition. All it means is thaT CBTC will be delayed on the (7).

I agree. I guess R62s will be redundant if (MTA) really buy new cars for the IRT branch..also what's the point of recent changes made on the (7)<7> indicator signs if they gonna use R188s on the (7)?

Guest Charles
473 R142/R142A are going to be converted to R188. There will be 23 new R188 subway car. So the R62/R62A will not retire early they may transfer to another route.

And where did you get that from???:confused:

Where did you get that idea from?

From some foamer's lips or whatever . If you've been reading the newspapers or watching TV recently new cars are not in the budget or pipeline for NYCT and won't be even if Albany or NYC could help the (MTA). If these cuts all go in effect there will be trains and buses sitting in yards and depots unused. Case closed.

Archived