Transferring from MTA Bus to NYCT

Via Garibaldi 8

Last night was quite interesting... I had some Whole Foods bags with me and didn't feel like walking, so I saw an M3 coming and ran to get on and took it a short distance.  When I get on, the B/O says, this isn't an express bus and I responded, yeah I know it isn't without thinking about what he said.  Then I thought to myself, wait a minute, how did this guy know that I take the express bus?? So then I gave him a look over and he told me that he had transferred over to Manhattanville.  I didn't remember him at first, because he isn't a B/O that I've gotten regularly, but I'm sure I've had him here and there before and we've chatted and looking at him again I'm sure I've seen him before.  Then I asked him if he was previously at Yonkers to which he replied yes and said he had taken the NYCT test and passed.  I congratulated him and we joked about how he was better off now and he let me off and said our goodbyes etc.

My question is how common is it to transfer from (MTA) Bus to NYCT and vice versa?  I would think with the different unions that it would be rather complicated, no?

In maintenance, it's very common. Due to the fact that in MTAB mechanics get paid less for doing what is essentially the same job as their MaBSTOA counterparts, they come over in huge groups when TA/OA start hiring. Especially since the test is the same.

In maintenance, it's very common. Due to the fact that in MTAB mechanics get paid less for doing what is essentially the same job as their MaBSTOA counterparts, they come over in huge groups when TA/OA start hiring. Especially since the test is the same.

Are The MTA Bus guys transferring over put on a list? Or the ones first to be hired when an opening is available?

Are The MTA Bus guys transferring over put on a list? Or the ones first to be hired when an opening is available?

All of the MTAB guys have to first take the open competitive test for TA/OA. They are put on the same list as a new hire, according to the score they get on the test. They are usually at the top of the list due to the fact that the tests for OA/TA/MTAB maintainer are the same.

LOL... That's a "minor" detail that the B/O left out... I was under the impression that the tests were different.... And what about guys at (MTA) Bus with seniority? Seems like those guys usually stay put because I would imagine that they would use seniority if they decided to transfer no?

Not many people want to go down to zero and start working up.

Probation is reset to one year, seniority is reset too 1000000 or so ;)

so people usually stay put

Your right about that and as far as the bus operator section go, MTA BUS is about the same ( in the TWU100 Depots) as OA/TA except the pension portion.

Not many people want to go down to zero and start working up.

Probation is reset to one year, seniority is reset too 1000000 or so ;)

so people usually stay put

That's what I was thinking... This guy is young though and I believe had just started recently anyway, so he traded the seniority for more pay.

That's what I was thinking... This guy is young though and I believe had just started recently anyway, so he traded the seniority for more pay.

I almost made a similar move. I was going to trade my seniority for convenience and try to go over to OA like 3 years ago. But I decided to keep my civil service protection while they were still offering it.

Archived