Signal Maintainer Killed at 46th Street Station in Queens

RTOMan

This is just a reminder how dangerous this Job is. :(  :(  :(  :(

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=resources/traffic&id=9077264

That's my station  :( ...

I was wondering why there were news vans parked all around there this morning, and was hoping with all my heart that it wasn't a 12-9. 

It's a tragedy. People are so quick to forget that for their $2.50 people are putting their lives on the line to get you from point A to point B. 

My sympathies to the man's family and colleagues.  

Details are scarce but so far it's speculated that a part of the maintainer's back pack was caught on the passing train and he was dragged down to the road bed as a result. So far that's unconfirmed. Nothing is likely to come out until system safety completes their investigation.

I remember another incident where a signals maintenance worker was  slammed against the wall of an apporaching (2) or (3) train. He did'nt survive. I was thinking that the saftey protocols in tunnel work would be almost fool proof since this subway existed for a century, along with the experience. Could it be on the management level? it reminds me of the track worker I think it was who got burned by a shock on the third rail or signal equipment. Can't remember but tis news was posted. A manager broke several violations to make a long story short. not sure if he got fired. The cap of the signal dented the shit out of the R62. (Now I remember I think it was a (1) train)

On that scandal the signals supervisor did not report the injury, he tried to cover up the other worker's burns because he screwed up on I guess how those saftery measurem protocols were deployed during his shift) The TSS later reported it.

Archived