SMEEs as Times-Square Grand Central Shuttle on May 11th?

+Young+

This is getting ridiculous... Now im not going to be able to see it thanks to them thinking a terrorist is actually going to go to that event. Im really getting sick of this no-backpack thing...

While it is an idiotic policy, the solution to your problem is very simple: don't bring a backpack.

Ride to Grand Central in style! Vintage 1940s and 1950s subway cars will be running on Track 4 of the Times Square Shuttle during the Parade of Trains!

Please note: No backpacks will be permitted in event spaces during the Parade of Trains, including Vanderbilt Hall and on the platforms serving Tracks 34 to 37. There will be no bag check available so those carrying backpacks will not be able to view or participate in the event.

I got it directly from the link.

Yeah, I saw that, but that probably doesn't include the (S) platforms/trains, just the areas in GCT itself.

Yeah, I saw that, but that probably doesn't include the (S) platforms/trains, just the areas in GCT itself.

I guess it's better off to not bring any bags if you are also going to GCT rather than just to see the TOMC. Some of the events that is going to take place that day seems pretty neat.

And since it is track 4, I guess the R17 (or is it the R15?) isn't one of them? That car seems to never run.

While it is an idiotic policy, the solution to your problem is very simple: don't bring a backpack.

So where am I supposed to put my Camera, Bottles of water, and my keys? Not including the spare plastic bags I have in there... 

The way I understand it, backpacks wouldn't be allowed if the SMEE is considered part of the Parade of Trains.

To me, it's a completely separate operation. GCT is MNR, the TOMC is NYCT. Completely different operations, rules, policies, hell even different police departments. I doubt they will be enforcing that rule in any NYCT areas.

Guest Lance

Whether or not it falls under Metro-North or NYCT is irrelevant. This is a very high profile event running through two of the most important stations in the city. Unless you really want to run the risk of having your stuff searched or confiscated, don't bring a backpack. If you must carry all of your things around with you, I'd recommend putting them in a clear plastic bag.

Is this a bit excessive? Probably, but given the recent events in Boston, it's almost expected.

Since this is only a week away, if someone can post the valuable details from the General Order - including what times the train will run, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

So where am I supposed to put my Camera, Bottles of water, and my keys? Not including the spare plastic bags I have in there... 

I've never had to use a backpack for transit fanning. Keys can easily go into your pocket.

As for what you should use, does the ban apply to bags like these?

kata%20camera%20bag.jpg

If not, you can easily fit all that stuff in it. This is the biggest bag I've ever found myself using while transit fanning and even then it is only when I'm using my dad's DSLR camera (my P&S doesn't have that great zoom.)

Like I said, though, it's a stupid rule and I wonder what would happen if a student ran into problems if they had a backpack. :rolleyes:

First of all, you are getting things confused. The R1/R9s (aka the Arnines) run on the (M), which used to be called the (V), which are compatible for the B-Division. The Lo-Vs run on the A-Division, primarily for Fan Trips with the N.Y. Transit Museum and also for trips to Yankee Stadium from Grand Central (ex. opening day, playoffs, World Series, etc.) This is not to be confused with the SMEEs which will not only run next weekend, but also in July for the All-Star Game along the Flushing line.

As far as having a backpack policy for this, I highly doubt it. The reason why is because the subway is a fast-paced system, meaning that the train will be on a timetable. With that said, will there be 9 NYPD officers, one at each door, to check everyone? I highly doubt it. Plus, just like on the other Nostalgia Train rides, there will be a good number of employees wearing MTA New York City Transit Orange Vests.

If someone still disagrees with me, let me ask you this: Ever since the Boston bombing, do they search your bag or backpack and personal belongings when you go to the New York Transit Museum? Do the security guards make you go through metal detectors before going on the old subway cars, which includes car # 100, the first R-type subway car? Even at 180 or 130 Livingston Street, are they making the employees go through metal detectors? I do not think so. Now, for the RCC (Rail Control Center) located in Midtown Manhattan, at that location employees do have to go through a metal detector, but this was in place way before the bombing in Boston.

Finally, I do not know what times the SMEEs will be running, however if someone can post the details from the General Order for this, that would be very interesting!!

Here is a post on Facebook including a video that shows the train being moved.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151448313243843

Whoever filmed this got lucky!

Now there's gonna be space at the NYCT Museum. What does everyone think will be there?

Now there's gonna be space at the NYCT Museum. What does everyone think will be there?

Whoever filmed this got lucky!

If you go to https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151448336713843&set=vb.89895068842&type=3&permPage=1, you will see the OR 714 pullling in, with guest cars R33-ML 9010 and 9011. I went yesterday to see it in person....quite interesting...

Taking the first bus down tomorrow to see this in person. Will 10AM-Noon be too late?

Yes I think so because according to the New York Transit Museum, they will start running the train at 8:00 AM. I don't have the time, however I wish I can see the train make its way from the IRT West Side Line to Track 4.

By the way, would someone mind posting the details from the General Order for this? I would appreciate it, since I am curious about a few things...

Thanks.

Ride to Grand Central in style! Vintage 1940s and 1950s subway cars will be running on Track 4 of the Times Square Shuttle during the Parade of Trains!

Please note: No backpacks will be permitted in event spaces during the Parade of Trains, including Vanderbilt Hall and on the platforms serving Tracks 34 to 37. There will be no bag check available so those carrying backpacks will not be able to view or participate in the event.

I got it directly from the link.

That's in regards to Grand Central itself, not the shuttle.

Archived