Conductors who shut the doors off-peak just as another train is entering

Threads like this are the reason why I don't post to the forums anymore. I bet you would be just as pissed if you made it onto that (N) and the C/R held for connections further down the line, since wouldn't that ALSO delay you?

Why don't you tell us where you work, so we can come down to your job and find any little mistake to try to get YOU fired?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- The R left on a modified schedule and I'm 100% sure of that as I've been taking the R train for over 15 years and I know the routine schedule. It came to 86th St at 1:01pm, then 1:13pm.  The normal times are 1:06pm, then 1:16pm.

Well, I did a little research. No supplement schedules were running on the day listed do to any general orders or construction. That means there was no "modified schedule" and this was in fact most likely just a delay in service.

The MTA web site unfortunately didn't list this reduced modified schedule (a last minute decision due to R problems) so I was unaware of it until I went down to the platform and just missed the R train.

Exactly what I said earlier, unplanned service change.

It WAS the conductor's fault as he definitely saw the R train, and he closed the doors on his N train just as the R was about to open its doors.  He made life miserable for a large portion of people.  Now he will have to respond to the investigation.

That's not making "life miserable". Was it so insufferable to just stay on the R to get where you're going? Unless you were going to Astoria, you are aware the express doesn't save much time? How do you know the N train you saw at 1:20 wasn't actually the train that usually arrives at 1:10, and everything is already 10 minutes late? You don't, and you're responding in a childish manner by making a lot of paperwork for a lot of people (at taxpayer expense), I might add just because you didn't get what you wanted from your "regular" commute one day.

Most conductors are very pleasant and will make the connection off-peak, and I thank them for that.  But I will inform the MTA of the few rotten apples that don't deserve to be working for the MTA.  I have learned to write down the "car number" so that they can be identified and disciplined.  And I have told other passengers what to do as well, who thanked me.

Like I said, how would you like it if someone stood over you at work and reported everything you did they didn't like? Checking personal email on company time? Write a letter with the date, time, computer, and personal email address checked. Uses company toilet and forgets to flush? Report it.

Try taking some responsibility. I work down here and I rely on the transit system to get to and from work completely, and there are things that frustrate me a lot about it at times but I don't complain...the needs of the many to keep moving outweigh the needs of me to make everyone wait. Did you know, for instance, that the southbound 2 at 149th St./Grand Concourse will always just miss a connection upstairs to the 4 on the overnight hours when the wait is 20 minutes, but that people from the 4 can change for the 2 easily?

When there are delays in service (as it sounds in the story above), the goal is to get things back on schedule as fast as possible so that full service can be run. Late trains cause service cancellations, or trains that get told to skip stops, etc. Let people do their jobs and stop looking to get people in trouble just because it didn't work out for you that day.

Well, I did a little research. No supplement schedules were running on the day listed do to any general orders or construction. That means there was no "modified schedule" and this was in fact most likely just a delay in service.

That's not making "life miserable". Was it so insufferable to just stay on the R to get where you're going? Unless you were going to Astoria, you are aware the express doesn't save much time? How do you know the N train you saw at 1:20 wasn't actually the train that usually arrives at 1:10, and everything is already 10 minutes late? You don't, and you're responding in a childish manner by making a lot of paperwork for a lot of people (at taxpayer expense), I might add just because you didn't get what you wanted from your "regular" commute one day.

Like I said, how would you like it if someone stood over you at work and reported everything you did they didn't like? Checking personal email on company time? Write a letter with the date, time, computer, and personal email address checked. Uses company toilet and forgets to flush? Report it.

Try taking some responsibility. I work down here and I rely on the transit system to get to and from work completely, and there are things that frustrate me a lot about it at times but I don't complain...the needs of the many to keep moving outweigh the needs of me to make everyone wait. Did you know, for instance, that the southbound 2 at 149th St./Grand Concourse will always just miss a connection upstairs to the 4 on the overnight hours when the wait is 20 minutes, but that people from the 4 can change for the 2 easily?

When there are delays in service (as it sounds in the story above), the goal is to get things back on schedule as fast as possible so that full service can be run. Late trains cause service cancellations, or trains that get told to skip stops, etc. Let people do their jobs and stop looking to get people in trouble just because it didn't work out for you that day.

GREAT POST..

Unfortunately it will go in one ear of the Op's and out the other....

Sigh...

"Extreme disrespect" to passengers? I think it's a huge disrespect to the TA Employees that you even made a big deal out of it, another (N) was probably not too far behind the one you missed.

Next time, leave home earlier. 

Sounds like the dispatcher at 95 went on a flex due to delays in southbound (R) service.  Headways went from 10 minutes to 12 minutes.............

This thread was pointless the minute I read it. An attempt to blame people doing their jobs, SMH. Everyone has answered RtrainBlues' question, so this thread doesn't need to be open any longer.

This thread was pointless the minute I read it. An attempt to blame people doing their jobs, SMH. Everyone has answered RtrainBlues' question, so this thread doesn't need to be open any longer.

No one asked you for your opinion.

@VG8

I thought the (N) runs every ten minutes on middays, evenings and weekends and every 6 minutes at rush hour. I'm just saying, because of the official timetable and the Straphangers annual report.

@VG8

I thought the (N) runs every ten minutes on middays, evenings and weekends and every 6 minutes at rush hour. I'm just saying, because of the official timetable and the Straphangers annual report.

The (N) runs just fine esp. compared with the old frequencies... If you've just missed an (N), you're probably waiting for the next maybe 8 minutes... Really not that big of a deal.  With the new cars on that line service is pretty reliable as well.

Your a funny guy. Your writing car #'s and people being disciplined is a huge fantasy in your head. But keep believing that.

hahahaha @ YOU

You are a fool!

Really you made my DAY!!!!!

Reminds me when I got a complaint cause I didnt wait for a running pax who was 1/4 mile behind me running to my bus. It was rush hour and the next bus was 5mins behind me smh.

- Most conductors are very pleasant and will make the connection off-peak, and I thank them for that.

Conductors like that piss me off especially when a train across is strolling in (a.k.a.: taking their sweet time). They waste my time (and many others') seeing how these transfers only benefit a few for the inconvenience of many…

- The 59th St dispatcher should have given the "holding lights" to the N train, so this was a failure on the dispatcher's part as well.

I call those lights the "you're going to be late to work" indicators. They go on at 59 Street, which holds the train for 1~3 minutes. The train happens to be stalled just long enough that the (D) train merging into 36 Street causes another 2~3 minutes delay. The (D) train being ahead of the (N) causes further delays until DeKalb Avenue when they no longer share tracks. Sometimes the (N) gets held at each station until Pacific Street for the same train. Who are the people making the transfers across the platform? Kings and queens?

—Just another point-of-view from the train across the platform. If you think I'm ridiculous for being angry, you know what I think of your post. We all are a little selfish.

The (5) to at least 149 St GC would help with that overnights

Conductors like that piss me off especially when a train across is strolling in (a.k.a.: taking their sweet time). They waste my time (and many others') seeing how these transfers only benefit a few for the inconvenience of many…I call those lights the "you're going to be late to work" indicators. They go on at 59 Street, which holds the train for 1~3 minutes. The train happens to be stalled just long enough that the (D) train merging into 36 Street causes another 2~3 minutes delay. The (D) train being ahead of the (N) causes further delays until DeKalb Avenue when they no longer share tracks. Sometimes the (N) gets held at each station until Pacific Street for the same train. Who are the people making the transfers across the platform? Kings and queens?—Just another point-of-view from the train across the platform. If you think I'm ridiculous for being angry, you know what I think of your post. We all are a little selfish.

Which is why in a way the (R) is more reliable.dosent share a track with any train at all in Brooklyn.

Conductors like that piss me off especially when a train across is strolling in (a.k.a.: taking their sweet time). They waste my time (and many others') seeing how these transfers only benefit a few for the inconvenience of many…

I mean, it's a pretty massive benefit for the few compared to a five-second delay for the many. I wouldn't exactly get worked up over that...

What would you have done if you were in my shoes one night at Times Square on an uptown (1) about a month ago...

It got held there for not just the (2), but also for the (3), and probably got held for a (7), an (N) and a (S) too since that 1 stayed there for a couple of extra minutes after that 3 left... This was at about 12am on a Sunday night/early Monday.

What would you have done if you were in my shoes one night at Times Square on an uptown (1) about a month ago...

It got held there for not just the (2), but also for the (3), and probably got held for a (7), an (N) and a  (S) too since that 1 stayed there for a couple of extra minutes after that 3 left... This was at about 12am on a Sunday night/early Monday.

I sure as hell would've been pissed off. Like come on, let me go home so I can catch some sleep before I start my week. :lol:

It got held there for not just the (2), but also for the (3), and probably got held for a (7), an (N) and a  (S) too since that 1 stayed there for a couple of extra minutes after that 3 left... This was at about 12am on a Sunday night/early Monday.

If this was N/B they always hold (1) trains there so that's no big deal.

As for the OP, despite that its still better than riding the bus  :D

Riding the subway & having your own car >>>>

The (5) to at least 149 St GC would help with that overnights

No it wouldn't. Anyone getting off the southbound 2 would still have to wait 19-20 minutes for the next southbound 4. The only thing that would do is give more service along WPR (which doesn't need it during those hours) and provide the distraction of a 5 dumping on the lower level that the person who is still waiting for their southbound 4 could hear.

No it wouldn't. Anyone getting off the southbound 2 would still have to wait 19-20 minutes for the next southbound 4. The only thing that would do is give more service along WPR (which doesn't need it during those hours) and provide the distraction of a 5 dumping on the lower level that the person who is still waiting for their southbound 4 could hear.

Those between E 180 St and 3 Av can take the (2) or (5) and would have a better chance of catching the S/B (4) they would otherwise miss since the (5) would get to 149 St about 8-10 minutes before the (2) or (4) (barring any major delays). This also gives Dyre riders a two seat ride instead of a three seat ride overnight and allows Dyre riders to connect to a (4) train within 10 minutes overnight instead of 19-20 minutes (plus an additional 8+ minute wait for the (2)).

Those between E 180 St and 3 Av can take the (2) or (5) and would have a better chance of catching the S/B (4) they would otherwise miss since the (5) would get to 149 St about 10 minutes before the (2) or (4) (barring any major delays). This also gives Dyre riders a two seat ride instead of a three seat ride overnight.

There is very low ridership on lower WPR during overnight hours, so that isn't very beneficial to many people nor does it justify the cost (since doing so means full length trains and thus a lot of C/R jobs plus more T/O jobs). Meanwhile what about all the people north of East 180th on the 2? No benefit whatsoever.

It's just a reality of dealing with the transit system and you plan around it, that was the point I was trying to make, just like the OP's situation is a case of just dealing with unscheduled service disruptions/changes.

Agreed, plus ridership levels to the Dyre branch does not justify extending it further than E180 at those hours. Nor does it justify having a 10 car train come out of that branch. Those station booths are closed during off hours for a reason. A lot more people living along that section make use of their cars more so especially during off hours.

I can't remember the last time I've ran for a subway even if I'm late... MetroNorth I can understand, as I ran down to get that on Monday in order to not face waiting another 30 minutes or whatever, but the subway?  I mean please... It's the (N) for crying out loud... That train has one the best frequencies around!  This guy's sense of entitlement is astonishing.  Dare I say take a f*cking cab or drive?!?! I never thought I would be saying that on this forum!!  :lol:

I wouldn't exactly call 10 minute headways "the best frequencies around".

In any case, it sucks that you (meaning the OP) missed the train after having already been delayed, but there's nothing you can do. Writing the letter won't accomplish anything, because the dispatcher and train crew aren't required to hold for anything, the same way B/Os aren't required to hold for anything. They have rules that protect them so that they have some leeway when it comes to different situations (running late, holding connections, waiting for running passengers, etc), and so they take advantage of these rules. Sometimes it's with good reason (For instance, a packed bus trying to catch a green light can't hold for a runner a block away). Other times, it's for no good reason (for instance, dragging the line when they're already late, or closing the door when they see somebody trying to make a connection, and then sitting at the red light, just because they can). Thankfully, the vast majority aren't actively trying to screw the passengers over.

Unfortunately, that's one of the things that you have to deal with when it comes to public transportation. Buses & trains can be delayed, or  come early, or bypass stops, or miss connections and so on. You never know if he was running 10 minutes late, and the dispatcher wanted to get him ahead of a (D) at 36th Street or something like that.

Well, no harm no foul at the end. I highly doubt there was any sort of investigation about whether or not he held the train, the OP got to vent, and hopefully, the missed connection didn't cause anybody to be late to work or school or their appointment or whatever.

Archived