Conductors who shut the doors off-peak just as another train is entering

Aren't you the same guy that wanted the (R) to stay running in 2 sections? If you are then man, you sure like to feel you are entitled to a lot of stuff for being a human just like everybody else around here.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an aside, whoever controls the connections at DeKalb, Pacific/Atlantic and 36th in the late evenings (10pm to 11:30pm) weekdays has been doing a great job - always perfect connections between the D, Q, N and R.  It works perfectly like clockwork and it's just amazing how this dispatcher consistently gets everything done exactly right & keeps everything according to timetable & keeps connections!  After 10:45pm, the D is perfectly timed to arrive at DeKalb 2 minutes before the Q so that 6th Ave passengers have a same-platform connection for Brighton service, and meanwhile the R waits for the Q to arrive at DeKalb. Didn't used to be this way a few years ago, and the many passengers who need the connections really appreciate it!!  (Must be someone different who controls the holding lights at 59th St since there are many issues at that stop.  But the DeKalb, Atlantic and 36th St dispatcher is really great - I hope that person stays on a long time!!)

To RtrainBlues. You seem to "know" a lot without knowing what's really going on. Here's one thing that hasn't been stated that puts your whole grievance to rest and is the main reason your complaint will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes.

As per rule: The schedule is the authority for movements of trains.

Keyword being trains and not people. No where in that rule are cross platform connections taken into account with the schedule. With the operations planning department makes and adjusts the schedule they do not take cross platform, bi-level platform, adjacent corridor platform connections into account. They account for how many people should be using said train and how to best get said train from point A to point B in X amount of time. It is the job of the train crews to execute this authority.

That cross platform transfer is a courtesy which is not promised or guaranteed with your $2.50. Translation. As they tell those who work for transit. Allow yourself the proper amount of travel time to be able to arrive at your destination on time even if things are running late with the system. Hence, take responsibility for your own actions and stop looking to blame everyone else when something doesn't work out for you.

Because if really the difference was 10 minutes between your being on time or late, then you were already playing the dare game and if a sick customer was on that train, you may not be complaining but you prove to be a "minuteman". Translation: those who challenge the clock always hoping everything works out in time.

I wouldn't exactly call 10 minute headways "the best frequencies around".

That train can run every 6 - 10 minutes throughout the busier parts of the day... The point was at best during that time of the day he's waiting maybe 8 minutes for the next train if he's just missed one.  WTF do you want for $2.50? A damn train every 2 minutes? As far as I'm concerned the frequencies are just fine and any line with frequencies like that are pretty reasonable.  The (N) has bigger cars and more room so based on that in comparison to the comfort level, IMO those frequencies are just fine. Yeah I know there are lines with better frequencies but the question is can you actually get on the train that comes or do you have to let a few pass by? By contrast, the Lex. Avenue line can have more frequent service but with you having to let a few go by the waits can actually be longer.

I felt bad for the OP but i think he was a minute man as well. He should stay on the (R)  train and waited till he get to 36 Street and see what happen there.

My friend told me this phrase on transit " Buses or Trains dont wait for people, People wait for trains or buses."

I used to lived in Brooklyn and never had a problem with transit. i alway have a back  up plan to get to where i am going.  Now since i live in NJ it little tougher out here. I always get on train one hour earlier then usual to go somewhere. Why? With all this constant delays, i am afraid of missing my connection if i need to travel on more then one line. There was lot of time i had close call of missing the connection like in Seacacus. It was so close that i had to run to get there. I felt so bad for the elderly or disable person who wont make it in time. I wrote to NJtransit to see if they add another 5 minutes on the schedule but they said no because in direction i am traveling was not the focus point in connection. So you can see that connection is not guarantee.

I am sure MTA had it written somewhere that connection is not guarantee.   

I wish I smack the conductors when they do that... A very similar thing happened to me too, I was on an (R) and it was pulling into 36 st. the (D) is across the platform there with the doors still open, all of a sudden when the doors my train open the conductor all of a sudden closes the doors on the (D) that I was running to. Then he closes his window with no emotion on his face... White bald guy or short hair as I remember him by. I could hear all the people from my train talking shit about him. I and I guess we end up waiting like 30-40 mins for another (D) train two (N) trains come right in between.

I wish I smack the conductors when they do that... A very similar thing happened to me too, I was on an (R) and it was pulling into 36 st. the (D) is across the platform there with the doors still open, all of a sudden when the doors my train open the conductor all of a sudden closes the doors on the (D) that I was running to. Then he closes his window with no emotion on his face... White bald guy or short hair as I remember him by. I could hear all the people from my train talking shit about him. I and I guess we end up waiting like 30-40 mins for another (D) train two (N) trains come right in between.

And you get 7 years on Rikers for doing that. You missed the connection, it happens, that's riding the subway for ya. Got a perfect example...

2 days ago, I was standing at Union Sq waiting for someone on the downtown platform. A (6) comes in the station first. Everyone gets on and off like any other rush hour, and then a (4) comes into the station. At that moment, the "stand clear of the closing doors" if playing on the (6) so people from the (4) make a mad dash for the train.

Some people got lucky and made it onboard, but there was this one woman who wasn't so lucky. Doors closed smack in her face. She looked a little disappointed (I kinda chuckled to myself), them the doors opened again and she tried to get on. Once again she wasn't so lucky and the doors closed in her face again.

Asst that point I had to turn my head and laugh. She sat down on the bench and waited for the next (6) train to come.

Moral of the story, it happens to everyone, just laugh it off and wait for the next train. There's always gonna be another train, us not like you missed the last train on the planet

And you get 7 years on Rikers for doing that. You missed the connection, it happens, that's riding the subway for ya. Got a perfect example...

2 days ago, I was standing at Union Sq waiting for someone on the downtown platform. A (6) comes in the station first. Everyone gets on and off like any other rush hour, and then a (4) comes into the station. At that moment, the "stand clear of the closing doors" if playing on the (6) so people from the (4) make a mad dash for the train.

Some people got lucky and made it onboard, but there was this one woman who wasn't so lucky. Doors closed smack in her face. She looked a little disappointed (I kinda chuckled to myself), them the doors opened again and she tried to get on. Once again she wasn't so lucky and the doors closed in her face again.

Asst that point I had to turn my head and laugh. She sat down on the bench and waited for the next (6) train to come.

Moral of the story, it happens to everyone, just laugh it off and wait for the next train. There's always gonna be another train, us not like you missed the last train on the planet

Sadly some will not get that the first time or ever in some cases. I can't begin to tell anyone here how many (E) s I've missed while transferring from the (F) at Kew Gardens Union Turnpike last year. The next one came 10 minutes or less later.

This incident has been reported to the MTA.  Hopefully this conductor no longer works for the MTA in the future due to this EXTREME disrespect  to a large group of already delayed passengers.

You guys do already know that technically the 4th Ave BMT line always had a history where it comes to serious delays many different ways (long waits, train bunching, etc) because of capacity restrictions in the vicinity of Dekalb Ave Station and the Manhattan Bridge. Part of the blames goes really to the BMT/Dual Contracts architects for that in not anticipating this problem we see today. You guys already threw out the stats, I'm not surprised to hear this in the least. However the train crew has to keep on their schedules too. If they cannot do that in a consistent and timely fashion they will hear it from their TSS's and it could be literally a verbal or even a written.

There is very low ridership on lower WPR during overnight hours, so that isn't very beneficial to many people nor does it justify the cost (since doing so means full length trains and thus a lot of C/R jobs plus more T/O jobs). Meanwhile what about all the people north of East 180th on the 2? No benefit whatsoever.

It's just a reality of dealing with the transit system and you plan around it, that was the point I was trying to make, just like the OP's situation is a case of just dealing with unscheduled service disruptions/changes.

Agreed, plus ridership levels to the Dyre branch does not justify extending it further than E180 at those hours. Nor does it justify having a 10 car train come out of that branch. Those station booths are closed during off hours for a reason. A lot more people living along that section make use of their cars more so especially during off hours.

MTA however does run the (3) late night on the whole Lenox line. Does 110 - 135 has better late night ridership than 149 -  E 180?

Both IRT truck lines in Manhattan have better ridership numbers than E180 to 149 GC but that's not the point. Even if the numbers were better the entire stretch of Dyre can't justify 10 car service up there above E180. That's why it's a 5 car shuttle.

MTA however does run the (3) late night on the whole Lenox line. Does 110 - 135 has better late night ridership than 149 -  E 180?

Yes. Additionally the (3) running is is to provide the riders at 145th and 148th with any service at all since the track layout makes running the old shuttles a production, and those stations would otherwise be subject to shuttle busing. Running the shortlined (3) also frees the switches at 135th and just north for work train moves, wash returns, etc. TSQ is actually the most logical place to turn this shortened service since you'd have some of the same issues at 96th as 135th.

That train can run every 6 - 10 minutes throughout the busier parts of the day... The point was at best during that time of the day he's waiting maybe 8 minutes for the next train if he's just missed one.  WTF do you want for $2.50? A damn train every 2 minutes? As far as I'm concerned the frequencies are just fine and any line with frequencies like that are pretty reasonable.  The (N) has bigger cars and more room so based on that in comparison to the comfort level, IMO those frequencies are just fine. Yeah I know there are lines with better frequencies but the question is can you actually get on the train that comes or do you have to let a few pass by? By contrast, the Lex. Avenue line can have more frequent service but with you having to let a few go by the waits can actually be longer.

During middays, it's every 10 minutes (which is the same frequency as the (R), as well as other lower-frequency lines like the (C) & (G)).

And my point is that the (N)'s frequencies aren't anything special. Yes, 10 minute headways are definitely reasonable, but let's not make it out like the (N) runs significantly better than any other line. Maybe you just get lucky with the (N) & unlucky with the (R).

I've had some nice stories to tell

For example

I wanted to go to Roosevelt Avenue for the Q47 on a Saturday (30 minute headways) , and I was on the (R) . I see the (E), and then I run for it, however I miss the train. Run back to the (R), and well lets say I ended up missing the Q47 by 5 minutes. So anyways, that's nothing to write up. The C/R's work long hours, and its very tempting for them to just do everything quickly. I don't blame them. Life gets at you, so what, something so small. People need to have some respect. And to the OP, try working a full C/R shift and then critique people.

TSQ is still a heavy ridership station deep into the night on any given night however.

That's true.  Especially during the week

Uptown R train running on a modified 12+ minute headways due to trouble, arrives at 59th St Bklyn 1:20pm today.  N train conductor at 1:20pm (car 9128 which was the 6th or 7th car of the train, Caucasian male in his 30s to 40s) takes particular delight in shutting the doors on the N train just as the R train is about to open its doors.  N train is right on schedule at 1:20pm, so there was no reason not to make the connection.   I was already late due to the modified R schedule, and now was an additional 10 minutes late due to this insult.

This incident has been reported to the MTA.  Hopefully this conductor no longer works for the MTA in the future due to this EXTREME disrespect  to a large group of already delayed passengers.

LOL!! Make sure you also send a letter to explain to the other 1,000 customers aboard the N train who would be late to thier destinations because you wanted the doors held open for you. SMH........

You are right though. The N train was right on schedule and for that conductor to hold the doors open for the R train that you were on that was already delayed would have now cause him to be late along with the 1000-1500 customers on his train. He was in every right to maintain his schedule without further delay. I hope that conductor has a wonderful and sucessful career down here.

Bottom line.. don't take things so personal and how do you know if the other passengers were delayed along with you. You might have been the ONLY one delayed out of that large group lol

During middays, it's every 10 minutes (which is the same frequency as the (R), as well as other lower-frequency lines like the (C) & (G)).

And my point is that the (N)'s frequencies aren't anything special. Yes, 10 minute headways are definitely reasonable, but let's not make it out like the (N) runs significantly better than any other line. Maybe you just get lucky with the (N) & unlucky with the (R).

How frequent the trains are and when they actually come or when you can get one are two different things... From my experiences the (N) runs well period.  I don't care what the schedule says because if it was based solely on the schedule, most trains would be pretty good.  For every (R) I can get two (N) 's most of the time.

Fully agreed with checkmate. The (N) has the amount of headways like the (Q) and (R); 6-8 minutes at rush hour, 10 minutes off-peak.

Oh please... Out of the three, I usually find the (R) to be the last one to come and the least often, not to mention how slow it is.

How frequent the trains are and when they actually come or when you can get one are two different things... From my experiences the (N) runs well period.  I don't care what the schedule says because if it was based solely on the schedule, most trains would be pretty good.  For every (R) I can get two (N) 's most of the time.

Oh please... Out of the three, I usually find the (R) to be the last one to come and the least often, not to mention how slow it is.

I don't know why the (Q) isn' t the one to go to forest hills via QBL local instead of the (R) ? The (R) is too unreliable and too long.

Why the Q won't go to Forest Hills - Because the R would no longer have layup/storage space if it didn't have 71st Ave/Continental Ave as a terminal.  There is not sufficient room for the R to store a large quantity of trains by 57/7th or Ditmars Blvd.  The Q already has the Coney Island yard nearby for storage so it doesn't need a 2nd storage space at 71st Ave.

LOL!! Make sure you also send a letter to explain to the other 1,000 customers aboard the N train who would be late to thier destinations because you wanted the doors held open for you. SMH.......

Shouldn't the same logic apply to them? They should've factored in additional time to get to their destinations. Aside from that, they're being delayed by a minute so he and all the other passengers transferring could save 10 minutes.

Bottom line.. don't take things so personal and how do you know if the other passengers were delayed along with you. You might have been the ONLY one delayed out of that large group lol

So the other members of that large group have time machines that allow them to freeze time until the next (N) comes in?

They were delayed. Whether they felt the impact from the delay (being late for work or whatever, or maybe just general impatience) is a different story.

How frequent the trains are and when they actually come or when you can get one are two different things... From my experiences the (N) runs well period. I don't care what the schedule says because if it was based solely on the schedule, most trains would be pretty good. For every (R) I can get two (N) 's most of the time.

Well, I'm just saying that its headways are far from the "best around". The best headways around would be lines like the (1) & (6), where you don't even have to bother running for the train (unless of course, you're trying to make a really tight connection, like with the ferry). I know I definitely don't have that attitude when I'm dealing with the (N).

It generally runs better than the (R) (though I've had my share of times when I got off the (R) at 59th and a second (R) came before the (N) did), and I'm not denying that. But let's not make it like the (N) has these super-low headways or something.

I don't know why the (Q) isn' t the one to go to forest hills via QBL local instead of the (R) ? The (R) is too unreliable and too long.

So you want to shift the ®'s problems over to the (Q)? The (Q) to Coney Island is even longer than the (R) to Bay Ridge.

Like Rtrainblues said, the (R) won't have a direct connection to a yard

..that's the EXACT reason why the (R) went to 71 Av in the first place in '84

Whoops I was suppose to downvote the above post of VG8, not upvoted it. Damn. Well it doesn't matter anyway...

I suppose you could say karma's a bitch.

And now I await my down reps.

Archived