NICE Summer Beach Service: N88 and Return of the N87

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took 9:20 n87 Jones Beach #1855, which male senior driver had hard time making right turn from Merrick Rd westbound to Wantagh Parkway South because cars wouldn't let him make wide right turn. I took it to East Bathhouse at 10:03 (5 people I think) and there were lots of Security/Coller Inspection table at East Bathhouse path to boardwalk, then another inspection at boardwalk on east of Central Mall, then another one at West Bathhouse at boardwalk and pathmark. I ordered cheeseburger and big Arizona bottle at Central Mall. I was about to blown away by the strong gust of wind, when I got near W. Bathhouse, I had hold firmly to truck and cars that was parked for food or other stuff.

At 11:20, senior driver from MTA LIB, 15-year of job was doing his first n87 Hicksville-Jones Be ach, with bus #1846. I help him guided through Jones Beach stops, which he departed at 11:20, even I was not familiar with Wantagh Parkway North, I was still able to help him lead to Merrick Rd/Wantagh Av exit and he arrived Hicksville Station at 12:01. He was layover in grassy area, and I wasn't mind.

Since I miss n22 and n24, I took same driver on 13:20 n87 Jones Beach which arrived E. Bathhouse ontime (with 6 passengers), 2 passengers didn't know the pick up/drop-off policy (similar to Queens, n87 Jones Beach Pickup Only/n87 Hicksville Drop-Off Only) and he was nice driver and he let couple off because they already paid their fare on bus.

I waited for him to come back at 14:39, 14:35 n87 Hicksville and he was ontime at Hicksville Station 15:18. His next trip was properly empty because Air Show was over at 15:30pm and plus strong wind. I gave to some Jones Beach goers.

Yuki mentioned the n87 turned off Merrick Rd to go on the Wantagh Parkway, is there a stop on Merrick Rd in Wantagh to Connect from the n19?  I'd like to use the n87 this summer and would like to transfer from the n19 on Merrick Rd, otherwise I'd have to walk 15-20 min to my LIRR station and get off at Wantagh or take the n19 to the n73/n74 and get off at Wantagh LIRR to get the n87 (which isn't happening).

The dispatcher who was taking care of the Jones Beach buses didn't have many keychains, so he only gave me one for myself. I'm gonna talk to NICE and see if I can get a few more sent to me for you guys.

From all the photos/videos I've seen, NICE is only sending the new buses (1840+) to the beach. Did anyone see any other buses? If not, I think its on purpose as the new ones seem to be faster.

The 3Gs are faster, can withstand the heat more since they're newer, and they're probably the only ones who have gotten the new N87 Clever Devices programming. I did not see any buses other than 3Gs at Jones Beach today.

Yuki mentioned the n87 turned off Merrick Rd to go on the Wantagh Parkway, is there a stop on Merrick Rd in Wantagh to Connect from the n19?  I'd like to use the n87 this summer and would like to transfer from the n19 on Merrick Rd, otherwise I'd have to walk 15-20 min to my LIRR station and get off at Wantagh or take the n19 to the n73/n74 and get off at Wantagh LIRR to get the n87 (which isn't happening).

The n87 transfers to the n19 exactly where you would transfer to the n73/74. There is a stop at Merrick Rd and Wantagh Ave where the n87 stops and picks up, and I think that's what you want.

Well that's kinda silly, especially considering there's no bus to Hicksville from Wantagh on Sundays. I'd like to hear the official policy on that. 

I asked supervisior about n87 and he comfirmed.

n87 going to Jones Beach will only pickup and while returing to Hicksville is drop-off only. It seems like only 2 buses were running on n87.

who brought key on my 2nd trip back on n88, with properly MTA driver.

He gave me the keychain.

After I took n87 to n88, then next n88 trip, I handed out n87 schedules.

I'm just gonna tell everyone the answer I got (which is most likely correct), and this is coming from a dispatcher who was handling the n87 today. The n87 has an OPEN DOOR policy between Jones Beach and Hicksville because there are people who waited along the 73/74 routing today and yesterday and took the bus without any hassle from the bus drivers. In other words, the n73/74 (for the most part), has Sunday service now.

I'm just gonna tell everyone the answer I got (which is most likely correct), and this is coming from a dispatcher who was handling the n87 today. The n87 has an OPEN DOOR policy between Jones Beach and Hicksville because there are people who waited along the 73/74 routing today and yesterday and took the bus without any hassle from the bus drivers. In other words, the n73/74 (for the most part), has Sunday service now.

In your videos, I noticed that on the southbound trip the driver let off the intermediate rider with no problem, while a bit of negotiation was required for the northbound intermediate to board the bus. Same bus number, I assume same driver, so what gives?

In your videos, I noticed that on the southbound trip the driver let off the intermediate rider with no problem, while a bit of negotiation was required for the northbound intermediate to board the bus. Same bus number, I assume same driver, so what gives?

I know who you're talking about. Two people who boarded on Wantagh Ave coming northbound. They weren't negotiating on boarding, they wanted to know the routing because they had to go to some specific shopping center I've never heard of.

I sent email to MTA LIRR to offers Jones Beach package deal to n87 bus as well.

To whom it may concern:
Nassau Inter County Express restored n87 Hicksville-Jones beach bus service, which serves Hicksville and Wantagh stations.
I like to suggest LIRR to work together with NICE Bus to offer Jones Beach package deal from/to Hicksville, Wantagh Stations, so with more choice of package deal, n87 might be sucessful.
I also suggest during Jones Beach season, LIRR Conductors should make announcement about Jones Beach n87 bus at Hicksville and Wantagh.
Yours respectfuly truly

Response

Response Via Email(Susan McGowan) - 05/28/2013 09:34 PM
Dear Yuki Endo:

I have been asked to reply to your e-mail suggesting that the LIRR introduce a new package ticket to Jones Beach to/from Hicksville and Wantagh stations, now that NICE Bus is restoring N-87 bus service.  I forwarded a copy of your e-mail to appropriate personnel in our Marketing Department for review and consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to share your suggestion with us.  The LIRR is committed to providing safe, secure and reliable train service to our customers, and we will continue striving to improve our operation.

Sincerely,
S. McGowan
LIRR Public Affairs Department

Do you think if Jones Beach package deal was extended to n87, will n87 will be more successful?

I sent email to MTA LIRR to offers Jones Beach package deal to n87 bus as well.

Do you think if Jones Beach package deal was extended to n87, will n87 will be more successful?

That depends on how much of the fare NICE gets.  Would they get the full $2.25 or $2.50 or would NICE make pennies shuttling people to the LIRR?

You can pack the bus but if you're not making money off it it's not successful.

Would anything prevent the (MTA) from running express bus service from the Jamaica LIRR (or anywhere in the (MTA) system) to Jones Beach?

That depends on how much of the fare NICE gets.  Would they get the full $2.25 or $2.50 or would NICE make pennies shuttling people to the LIRR?

You can pack the bus but if you're not making money off it it's not successful.

Would anything prevent the (MTA) from running express bus service from the Jamaica LIRR (or anywhere in the (MTA) system) to Jones Beach?

NICE probably makes a little less than they would without the package, but it is still probably worth it. And yes, the (MTA) could run their own bus service and they would probably do it better and more efficient than NICE, but they just don't like dealing with Nassau County if they don't have to.

Archived