NICE Summer Beach Service: N88 and Return of the N87

NICE probably makes a little less than they would without the package, but it is still probably worth it. And yes, the (MTA) could run their own bus service and they would probably do it better and more efficient than NICE, but they just don't like dealing with Nassau County if they don't have to.

Better?  Probably according to many opinions here.  More efficient?  Statistics don't lie, the (MTA) is not a efficient as Veolia.  But, that's all I'm gonna say we're not gonna turn this into a Veolia VS (MTA) thing....

NICE probably makes a little less than they would without the package, but it is still probably worth it. And yes, the (MTA) could run their own bus service and they would probably do it better and more efficient than NICE, but they just don't like dealing with Nassau County if they don't have to.

The point I was getting at was anything legally stopping them from doing so, as Veolia has a clause in their contract preventing them from offering simular service under a Veolia owned brand, ie them saying "Jones Beach service is lucrative, let's start a Veolia beach...."  I was wondering if there was such a clause that Nassau had with the former operator, (MTA) .

As far as dealing with Nassau County, they wouldn't have to deal with the County.  If the (MTA) was using State Roads to offer a service to a State park, the County has no say in it.  ;)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better? Probably according to many opinions here. More efficient? Statistics don't lie, the (MTA) is not a efficient as Veolia. But, that's all I'm gonna say we're not gonna turn this into a Veolia VS (MTA) thing....

The point I was getting at was anything legally stopping them from doing so, as Veolia has a clause in their contract preventing them from offering simular service under a Veolia owned brand, ie them saying "Jones Beach service is lucrative, let's start a Veolia beach...." I was wondering if there was such a clause that Nassau had with the former operator, (MTA) .

As far as dealing with Nassau County, they wouldn't have to deal with the County. If the (MTA) was using State Roads to offer a service to a State park, the County has no say in it. ;)

Wouldn't happen. No trucks/buses on the Meadowbrook north of Merrick Road, and definitely no buses on the Southern State.

Better? Probably according to many opinions here. More efficient? Statistics don't lie, the (MTA) is not a efficient as Veolia. But, that's all I'm gonna say we're not gonna turn this into a Veolia VS (MTA) thing....

The point I was getting at was anything legally stopping them from doing so, as Veolia has a clause in their contract preventing them from offering simular service under a Veolia owned brand, ie them saying "Jones Beach service is lucrative, let's start a Veolia beach...." I was wondering if there was such a clause that Nassau had with the former operator, (MTA) .

As far as dealing with Nassau County, they wouldn't have to deal with the County. If the (MTA) was using State Roads to offer a service to a State park, the County has no say in it. ;)

Well, you know what I meant.

Well, you know what I meant.

I just love the smell of stirring shit in the morning. lol

Wouldn't happen. No trucks/buses on the Meadowbrook north of Merrick Road, and definitely no buses on the Southern State.

I know this, believe me.  lol

You do realize there are other roads that can be used instead?  

9:20 n87 Jones Beach driver (my 1st Sunday ride), male driver told me Meadowland Parkway design is awful. He prefer left turn than right turn.

On his first right turn from Merrick Rd Westbound, car driver didn't even let the Veolia driver make right turn and we spend 5 minutes, and finally we were able to make right turn onto Meadowland Parkway South.

9:20 n87 Jones Beach driver (my 1st Sunday ride), male driver told me Meadowland Parkway design is awful. He prefer left turn than right turn.

On his first right turn from Merrick Rd Westbound, car driver didn't even let the Veolia driver make right turn and we spend 5 minutes, and finally we were able to make right turn onto Meadowland Parkway South.

Wait a minute, doesn't the n87 use the Wantagh Parkway?

Well, they probably make up for it with increased revenue from the fact that the MTA advertises the package deal.

That depends on how much of the fare NICE gets.  Would they get the full $2.25 or $2.50 or would NICE make pennies shuttling people to the LIRR?

You can pack the bus but if you're not making money off it it's not successful.

Would anything prevent the (MTA) from running express bus service from the Jamaica LIRR (or anywhere in the (MTA) system) to Jones Beach?

Simple the buses won't be fast enough with the road network that exists and they would fail miserably. The cost to operate them would put some lightly used MTA bus corp lines to shame.It costs less to make em use LIRR to N88/87. What your gonna do use merrick blvd to sunrise hwy then meadowbrook good luck getting anybody to use that from jamacia.  It is cheaper to make NICE run the N88 than do it themselves cause they kinda already do it's called LIRR a 20 min ride to freeport and that is a local train mind you.

I just love the smell of stirring shit in the morning. lol

I know this, believe me.  lol

You do realize there are other roads that can be used instead?  

That would be time consuming and won't be as fast as LIRR to N88. Don't even think about bringing up the van wyck to sunrise hwy/conduit that would automatically fail. There is a reason why MTA runs no express buses to nassau nobody would use them when it is LIRR vs bus in point to point LIRR will ALWAYS WIN. Express bus to jones beach from jamacia= Fail

do not even try to compare it to current NICE lines as many serve areas not near LIRR at all N6 is nowhere near LIRR. And the N24 serves areas that have horrid LIRR service. N4 on merrick last I checked is nowhere near babylon line stops as most trains don't stop till rockville centre.

It is cheaper to make NICE run the N88 than do it themselves cause they kinda already do it's called LIRR a 20 min ride to freeport and that is a local train mind you.

I forgot that in many of minds on this forum the (MTA) rules the world   :rolleyes: lmao

Simple the buses won't be fast enough with the road network that exists and they would fail miserably. The cost to operate them would put some lightly used MTA bus corp lines to shame.It costs less to make em use LIRR to N88/87. What your gonna do use merrick blvd to sunrise hwy then meadowbrook good luck getting anybody to use that from jamacia.  It is cheaper to make NICE run the N88 than do it themselves cause they kinda already do it's called LIRR a 20 min ride to freeport and that is a local train mind you.

That would be time consuming and won't be as fast as LIRR to N88. Don't even think about bringing up the van wyck to sunrise hwy/conduit that would automatically fail. There is a reason why MTA runs no express buses to nassau nobody would use them when it is LIRR vs bus in point to point LIRR will ALWAYS WIN. Express bus to jones beach from jamacia= Fail

do not even try to compare it to current NICE lines as many serve areas not near LIRR at all N6 is nowhere near LIRR. And the N24 serves areas that have horrid LIRR service. N4 on merrick last I checked is nowhere near babylon line stops as most trains don't stop till rockville centre.

Look all I did was ask if the (MTA) was legally allowed to operate or if they were contractually not allowed to because of their past contract with Nassau County, I just used Jamaica Station as an example off the top of my head.  I pointed out that (MTA) wouldn't have to "worry about" the County or have their blessing if they were using State roads to bring service to a State park when a member mentioned it, that's it.  I also pointed out that the Medowbrook (or was it wantagh?) wasn't the only option when a member pointed out CMV;s aren't allowed north of (whatever point).  That's it!

I was talking about A and B and you always want to bring C into the equation.  People discuss many transit related topics here, this is not only a place to propose bullshit routes that will never be considered by any transit agency.  I like you, I do, but  not everyone's hobby is mapping out routes or proposing service, and not every thought leads into mapping out routes or proposing service..  

All I did was ask a question and point out a couple of facts.  I never intended this to be a proposed route, or intended to debate the routing or debate if the (non) proposed route would be successful or bogged down in traffic, but that's where you wanted to take it or assumed it was about.

I give out n87 schedules to n19 riders, n80 riders today.

After I got few more set, getting ready for Sunday's n88 journey.

I even talk with LIRR female ticket agent friend at Hicksville about n87. I handed out n87 schedules to n88 passengers on Memorial Day,

I still didn't ride n47 bus yet either, little off-topic and n57 AM trip and n62 S. Bayview trip AM and PM trip.

THE JONES BEACH WEEKEND REPORT!
Our first heat wave of the season has hit metro NYC, and the BEST place to beat the heat is at Jones Beach this weekend. Tempertures will be in the 80's tonight, with mostly sunny skies for Saturday and a high of 84. Sunday will be a bit cooler, with partly cloudy skies and a high of 78.

Remember.....on these hot days, parking at Jones Beach fills up quickly....so don't stress about getting a parking spot....head to the beach the NICE way. The n88 out of Freeport, and the n87 out of Hicksville/Wantagh LIRR ALWAYS have access in and out of Jones Beach!

The Jones Beach Theater will also kick off their summer concert series tonight with Rascal Flatts and Band Perry. The n88 starts rolling to the Theater from Freeport at 4:00 pm. Doors to the Theater open at 5:00 pm and the show starts at 6:00 pm.

Saturday's line up is nearly sold out. The island will be rocking out to the sounds of Pitbull and Ke$ha. The show starts at 7:30 pm, but the crowds will be large, so be sure and plan extra time to get to the Theater.

The n88 will be waiting outside the Theater at the end of both shows to take you back to Freeport......buses will accept concert goers for 30 minutes, or until all waiting passengers are picked up, after each show....so make sure you head back to the pick up spot in a timely manner

964948_587916724573367_1709720652_o.jpg

NICE did it again. Those music notes are an excellent touch to the headsign.

Oh is that what they are?  I thought they looked like pieces of bacon at first.  :D

I was hoping to see some of the unwrapped buses get a special wrap to advertise Jones Beach Summer Service, oh well.  :(

Had a NICE ride on the n87 today. Despite passengers who said the bus before us never came, it was kinda empty (only about 7-8 ppl going to JB on the 1:20pm). Going back we had even less, only about 5 or so, plenty of ppl there wanted the n88, some with LIRR package tickets they were showing the driver. Since Wantagh is the same zone, why would they want to go to Freeport? I sure hope n87 ridership increases. Maybe when the schools let out, it's testing time now so they may be busy. Going back I had 1699, which I was surprised about since usually NICE only uses the 3G's for the beach service, but maybe a bus broke down and that's why an Orion V was a replacement. Eventually ppl will get the idea and use the n87 since the n88 is usually always unpleasantly jammed and sometimes rowdy.

431837_600562843302169_103430944_n.jpg

Since Wantagh is the same zone, why would they want to go to Freeport? I sure hope n87 ridership increases. Maybe when the schools let out, it's testing time now so they may be busy. 

Good point, can you use the package deal on the n87?  Maybe they don't know about the n87 or that it goes by Wantagh?  If some people don't use the LIRR often they might not know enough about the system to know they would be saving time for the same price by getting off at Wantagh.

Today, on my way to Horse Carriage Demo by Central Park, I took 9:20 n87 Jones Beach #1844, same male driver from Sunday, then got off at W. Bathhouse at 10:03, then hit the n88 Freeport #1852 at 10:04, then 10:20 at Freeport.

I thought LIRR keep Freeport Station open during the Jones Beach season, but it wasn't open.

So, I went in line for 10:27 n88 Jones Beach, same bus #1852. I gave out n87 schedule with n88 schedule, departed only 3 minutes late, but arrived E. Bathhouse at 10:46, four minutes early from 10:48.

I walk along the boardwalk and when I stop by Park Information by Central Mall, they had trillions of n87 SCHEDULES, WHOLE LOADS because I had to stop by there to ask if there's walkway to Theodore Roosevelt Nature Center, but there was no walking access.

After that, I went back to West Bath house and waited for 12:20pm n87 #1844 driver.

When n88 arrived first, I give them n87/n88 schedule.

Then, next n87 Jones Beach #1844 arrived, and I took his layover ride from E to W. Bathhouse, and he departed W. Bathhouse at 12:15, and he got to E. Bathhouse at 12:19pm.

I got off Wantagh Station at 12:39pm for Babylon train back to city.

I even give few n88 bus schedules to him, and well as put more n87 schedules in takeone box.

He told me, they just also list timespoint for n87 and n88 schedules in Jones Beach for W. Bathhouse, Central Mall and East Bathhouse.

So I'm hearing someone from this forum named "Charlie James" saw PinePower on the n87 yesterday and knows me. Someone in this topic?

Have the buses been as crowded as they were last year?  I remember someone here fanned the 88 last July and there were at least 25 people waiting to get on a standing room only NG.

That would be me, and the n88 is still as crowded, but it was worse under Long Island Bus times in 2011 if you look below (no relief buses):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5_kywXfWtQ

Today, on my way to Horse Carriage Demo by Central Park, I took 9:20 n87 Jones Beach #1844, same male driver from Sunday, then got off at W. Bathhouse at 10:03, then hit the n88 Freeport #1852 at 10:04, then 10:20 at Freeport.

I thought LIRR keep Freeport Station open during the Jones Beach season, but it wasn't open.

So, I went in line for 10:27 n88 Jones Beach, same bus #1852.

How is the n87 or the n88 on your way to Central Park when you live in Flushing...

I meant I overslept, so I took (7) to Ronkonkonma train to Hicksville for n87, then took n88 round trip to Jones Beach, then took n87 to Wantagh.

Horse Carriage demo was at 2pm, so I went to Jones Beach early. I overslept and miss 7:25 n20 Hicksville, so I took train straight from Woodside.

Archived