Suffolk County Deal Expands Sunday, Evening Bus Service

It was on Newsday. I'd say this is long awaited. I know for a fact the S1 will be the first route to get Sunday Service

Well, that's obvious, since it's the busiest (and most cost-efficient) route in the county. But I'm wondering how far down the line they'll go. Top 5 busiest (or most efficient) routes? Top 10?

Well here are the routes that are the most efficient

1. S1

2. S92

3. S40

4. S54

5. S60

6. S45

7. S66

8. S61

9. S66

10. S63

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure SCT will add like 6 or 7 routes than at a seperate time period a few more after. It's about time there was some major service change. The last service change was in 2008, and then it was like SCT planning went down the drain. Steve Levy always want to improve the system, glad he's doing it.

In order of overall efficiency, we have:

S1
S66
3D
S41
S45
S40
3B
S68
S42
S27
S60
S33
S61
3A
S58
3C
S20
S25
S63
S23
S29
S92
S54
S69
6A
2A
2B
7A
6B
S62
1A
8A
S110
S56
S59
S71
S57
7DE
10B
S76
7B
S90
1B
10C
S35
5A
S31
10A
10DE

In terms of of Saturday efficiency, the S66, 3D, and S41 go down slightly, while the S33, S40, and S45 improve slightly. (There's a few more that chane rank further down the list, but it doesn't make any real difference)

In order of overall efficiency, we have:

S1

S66

3D

S41

S45

S40

3B

S68

S42

S27

S60

S33

S61

3A

S58

3C

S20

S25

S63

S23

S29

S92

S54

S69

6A

2A

2B

7A

6B

S62

1A

8A

S110

S56

S59

S71

S57

7DE

10B

S76

7B

S90

1B

10C

S35

5A

S31

10A

10DE

In terms of of Saturday efficiency, the S66, 3D, and S41 go down slightly, while the S33, S40, and S45 improve slightly. (There's a few more that chane rank further down the list, but it doesn't make any real difference)

I see, because the S92 isnt on the list. Is it really that bad. Are there any ridership stats for Suffolk Transit

I see, because the S92 isnt on the list. Is it really that bad. Are there any ridership stats for Suffolk Transit

The S92 is ranked below the S29 in terms of efficiency. The problem is that it has a lot of dead milage, whereas routes like the S45 run through more areas with a higher population density, so they have more turnover. With the S92, you can have a packed bus leaving Riverhead, with very few people traveling within the Hamptons.

2013:  Out of touch Suffolk County officials realizes people who take the bus actually do things on Sunday like work and shop.

The thing is, I hope they don't mess up, because this could be a money- maker ( In terms of shopping, sundays are more active than Saturdays). I'm glad Suffolk County is getting the bus service they deserve, and I know Steve Levy has been pushing for this (along with a few other representatives) for Sunday Service. And the fact that most SCT service ends at 8:00 PM bugs me, but what really irritates me (like a flea in a dog's fur) is that Sunday Service is given to two routes in the summer.

Yes the Sunday service is sure to generate tax revenue for the county and the state!

This probably also means more jobs as they might have to hire more drivers to cover the extra day/extra hours...

I think Sunday service is a win/win for so many reasons, but I hope their this doesn't get blocked by the out of touch politicians who think "but my maid/gardener has Sunday's off, why do we need more bus service?"  Or the yahoo's who love to complain about taxes, they bought their piece of the pie and god forbid they have to pay a penny more in taxes for anything that doesn't affect them!

Checkmate, if you're using my chart, the Saturday vs weekday efficiency (in terms of ranking) doesn't change much because I calculated the weekday vs Saturday passengers from provided monthly figures using annual average ratios. Plus SCT Saturday and weekday schedules aren't that different.

This is a One Year Pilot Program, that HASN'T past the full legislature yet. It HAS passed the Public Works Committee.  The vote for the full Legislature IS today. . As far as I know the only known routes affected by increase Sunday Service is the S92 and 10C which will get full year round Sunday Service. 

When is this supposed to start?

Possibly sometime during the summer. They are still working things out.

This is a One Year Pilot Program, that HASN'T past the full legislature yet. It HAS passed the Public Works Committee.  The vote for the full Legislature IS today. . As far as I know the only known routes affected by increase Sunday Service is the S92 and 10C which will get full year round Sunday Service. 

Possibly sometime during the summer. They are still working things out.

Well if that's the case, that sucks raw ass, because the west end is more populated and has better ridership than the East (With 40% of the East End being the hamptons, and another 30% being rural areas, it speaks for itself).

Well if that's the case, that sucks raw ass, because the west end is more populated and has better ridership than the East (With 40% of the East End being the hamptons, and another 30% being rural areas, it speaks for itself).

It's a pilot program for a year to see the feasibility of running Sunday Service. If everything goes well then it would go into effect permanently.

I only know of the S92 and 10C being effected by the Sunday Service addition because I have a source who works for the company that operates one of the routes, and they told me that the two routes were effected. I don't have any other sources to ask if they know any other routes that are effected. Though it is a no brainier that the S92 and 10C would be effected by added Sunday Service since they all ready have Sunday Service though limited to the Summer only. .

According to News 12 the legislature is "expected" to pass the expanded Sunday service. But we all know how brainless LI politicians are, so it aint done until the fat lady (or the in this case, the legislature) sings.

Yes the Sunday service is sure to generate tax revenue for the county and the state!

This probably also means more jobs as they might have to hire more drivers to cover the extra day/extra hours...

I think Sunday service is a win/win for so many reasons, but I hope their this doesn't get blocked by the out of touch politicians who think "but my maid/gardener has Sunday's off, why do we need more bus service?"  Or the yahoo's who love to complain about taxes, they bought their piece of the pie and god forbid they have to pay a penny more in taxes for anything that doesn't affect them!

There's only one place that is worse when it comes to bus mentality and that is Ocean County (aka Ocean Ride) which has most routes only running a couple of days a week. And a bus between LBI and Manahawkin only runs a couple of times on day a week! Anyone who has been to those areas know there's alot of businesses around there and tons of traffic, yet no buses! News 12 had a story on it this evening which I was watching on a TV on the outside, and said a woman actually lost her job because of no Sunday Suffolk Transit service, but the story was encouraging as they said the legislature is expected to pass it tonight. This will be a big help to businesses in Suffolk County, which no doubt contribute much to the campaigns of these legislators.

just look at the LIRR LOL

Well to be fair they are making major improvements this summer to the Montauk service, including the addition of an earlier train on weekends arriving in Montauk at 9:46am. I have always felt 10:46am is too late for day travelers, so this is definitely about time! :)

They were expected to pass it the last time and look what happened, The S92 and 10C got a .50 cent fare increase with a promise that the Summer Sunday Service trial would be expanded to year round with in a year, and that promise still hasn't happened and that was what, two years ago. 

News 12 had a story on it this evening which I was watching on a TV on the outside, and said a woman actually lost her job because of no Sunday Suffolk Transit service

If that is true then the woman who got fired should sue the company she worked for because that sounds like discrimination, Because as far as I know a person can't be fired or not hired because of lack of transportation. And assuming that the woman's job only operated on Sundays, companies normally ask on applications when a person can and can't work. If she relied on bus service she should have put that she couldn't work on Sundays. (When my father worked he had Sundays off, had nothing to do with transportation he just happen to be part time, when he did have to work on Sundays it was to collect the time and a half and he found a way to get there. especially after he had to sell his Bronco.)

Checkmate, if you're using my chart, the Saturday vs weekday efficiency (in terms of ranking) doesn't change much because I calculated the weekday vs Saturday passengers from provided monthly figures using annual average ratios. Plus SCT Saturday and weekday schedules aren't that different.

Yeah, I used those numbers, and what you said makes sense. But I guess with some routes that serve malls, it is possible for them to be slightly more efficient on weekends than weekdays. (Though not 30+% more efficient).

Since it was mentioned earlier that the S92 and 10C would get enhanced service, the S92 does need more service, service in one direction ends early (by 3 hours) than the other.

As for the 10C, I'm not saying that Sunday Service is not needed (it serves areas not served  by the LIRR) but they need to run all trips except for the first trip on Sunday to East Hampton. There's a long gap in the schedule on Sundays.

$1.1M is to be spent on Sunday service. Bus service cost $108.91 per bus hour in 2011. There are 52 weeks per year.

Even if 25% of the money goes to overhead, that's 146 bus-hours of service per Sunday. And that doesn't count fare revenue from new rides or (even better) new riders.

But that leaves out one big piece of the picture: paratransit. The S92 and 10C Sunday pilot would have broke even its first summer if not for the paratransit requirement which drove it into the red by a considerable amount.

$1.1M is to be spent on Sunday service. Bus service cost $108.91 per bus hour in 2011. There are 52 weeks per year.

Even if 25% of the money goes to overhead, that's 146 bus-hours of service per Sunday. And that doesn't count fare revenue from new rides or (even better) new riders.

But that leaves out one big piece of the picture: paratransit. The S92 and 10C Sunday pilot would have broke even its first summer if not for the paratransit requirement which drove it into the red by a considerable amount.

So in other words, it would cost 21k to run bus service each sunday.

Archived