Suffolk County Deal Expands Sunday, Evening Bus Service

$1.1M is to be spent on Sunday service. Bus service cost $108.91 per bus hour in 2011. There are 52 weeks per year.

Even if 25% of the money goes to overhead, that's 146 bus-hours of service per Sunday. And that doesn't count fare revenue from new rides or (even better) new riders.

But that leaves out one big piece of the picture: paratransit. The S92 and 10C Sunday pilot would have broke even its first summer if not for the paratransit requirement which drove it into the red by a considerable amount.

Thats why this thing is a year pilot program. 

Tenically then it did break even, since the fares collected from the S92 and 10C were suppose to pay for the service on those two routes and weren't suppose to go towards paying for Paratransit. It didn't break even because the county misjudged how much it would have had to pay to operate the Paratransit system, which is operated by a whole different company to begin with.  

According to News 12 the legislature is "expected" to pass the expanded Sunday service. But we all know how brainless LI politicians are, so it aint done until the fat lady (or the in this case, the legislature) sings.

There's only one place that is worse when it comes to bus mentality and that is Ocean County (aka Ocean Ride) which has most routes only running a couple of days a week. And a bus between LBI and Manahawkin only runs a couple of times on day a week! Anyone who has been to those areas know there's alot of businesses around there and tons of traffic, yet no buses! News 12 had a story on it this evening which I was watching on a TV on the outside, and said a woman actually lost her job because of no Sunday Suffolk Transit service, but the story was encouraging as they said the legislature is expected to pass it tonight. This will be a big help to businesses in Suffolk County, which no doubt contribute much to the campaigns of these legislators.

Well to be fair they are making major improvements this summer to the Montauk service, including the addition of an earlier train on weekends arriving in Montauk at 9:46am. I have always felt 10:46am is too late for day travelers, so this is definitely about time! :)

err that OC9 LBI route has 1 round trip and is once a week!!!!!!! OCEANRIDE needs the AXE and fire People in Ocean use NJT buses very well actually it's just that oceanride is utterly useless it is so bad I couldn't even plan a trip around any of their routes. Back to suffolk we go.

Nothing new to report other then that it had unanimously pass the full Legislature, only one Legislator didn't vote.  

A driver told a friend that he had heard that the added Sunday Service won't go into effect until January but I'd like to say though that this is the same driver that had told the same friend that he had heard that it was to start next month, so I don't think the county itself knows when they are going to be starting this. 

A driver told a friend that he had heard that the added Sunday Service won't go into effect until January but I'd like to say though that this is the same driver that had told the same friend that he had heard that it was to start next month, so I don't think the county itself knows when they are going to be starting this. 

Or maybe the driver doesn't know, but likes to talk?   ;)   Be careful what you hear take away from the rumor mill.

Or maybe the driver doesn't know, but likes to talk?   ;)   Be careful what you hear take away from the rumor mill.

The comment about the county may not know when they are going to start it wasn't based on what the driver said, I was basing it on the very lack of information that the county has said on the matter. (I mean for the most part when the bill to add Sunday Service for the S92 and 10C was passed, I believe the county had it all figured it when it would start and how many runs the routes would have before it was passed. This time however nothing seems to have been planed in advance.)

Trust me I've learn never to trust anything anybody says without proof. One time, back when the S58 was being extended out to Riverhead (in 2000) a driver said that it was suppose to be extended to Port Jefferson Station as well. I quickly had figured out the failed logic to such a thing. In hindsight though the driver could have been talking about, at the time, a proposed extension to the 5A to Port Jefferson. (Which in deed happened in 2003. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's not permanent, its a one year trial and then if all goes well it would become permanent. But no, there has been nothing more as of yet. Or at least I haven't heard anything else.

Archived