National Train Day at Grand Central

nostalgia

The 42 Street (S)huttle will be running 4 cars from the Train Of Many Colours on May 11 as well.

For those of you going to the Grand Central Events, DON'T bring a backpack as they will not be allowed (they will be allowed on the TOMC). 

I have been to the National Train Day at Grand Central today. I can tell how it was there. I arrived there at like about 1:00 p.m and there was a long line. At one point the workers make us sit in the M7 cars until we were called in. It was the first time I have been inside a M7, M8 , and private car. Arrive there early if anyone is planning to go tommorow.

Speaking of the m7, i am reminded if why i hate those seats, they are too narrow. I'm not wide, but if another person of my shoulder width sat next to me, i would be cramped . The m8, i didnt stay in for long, but it seems about the same, but it looked like the outer seats were a little wider than the middle or center most seat.

Quoting myself from a different thread:

For me this was my first time going and the wait was crazy, but at least they did have some M7as parked on track 39 as 'waiting rooms'. But that was a 1hr wait in the train. I didn't bring a bag so I was off the line sooner. There were some people with bags and getting checked before moving to the last line (the shoeshine/magazine area).

The collection was pretty nice and some of those cars are privately owned, so whether the owner decides to showcase their car again, who knows? So I think it's kinda valid about it being a once in a while experience. Also being the centennial, why not go? I kinda liked the red carpet featuring the 20th century limited. It does get repetitive going thru each car, but I guess it's worth doing at least once since how often do you get to see the inside of those cars (other than from pictures)?

Summing it up: first timer = worth it. Second time, probably just take pics from the outside.

I agree. The wait was crazy. I arrived at Grand Central at 11am, but I didn't get to see the trains until 2pm. At least I was able to see the trains both outside and inside. I'll put up the pictures soon. Anyone been inside the sleeper and dining cars?

I got there at 2:15pm and they closed the closed the train event and I didn't see any trains. But I was able to ride the SMEEs. I hope if I come at 12:00, I will be able to see the trains on Sunday.

Yeah I got there at 1PM (Don't take the early bus they said, you'll be fine they said), and I missed out on ~5 cars because of time constraints. (I still got out at 4)

Yeah I got there at 1PM (Don't take the early bus they said, you'll be fine they said), and I missed out on ~5 cars because of time constraints. (I still got out at 4)

A friend told me that MN advertised the celebration for May 10 and 11. People who showed up on May 10 (Friday) were accommodated. Thinking that only one weekend day was available, 30,000 swarmed through GCT on Saturday. It wasn't as crowded on Sunday. My exhibitor pass got me through the lines but I didn't even try to see all the equipment. I was satisfied to see the cars on two tracks from the outside.

Archived