Fairfeild Shuttle in Jackson Heights

Mtatransit

What are those buses doing in that area. Also I see passangers on it. Also where does it go?

Fairfield? You mean the Fairfax, like this one?

DSC02949_zps6e75b223.jpg

I don't know who they run for. I've seen people on them, too. As I recall the passengers didn't look Jewish (because the other ones belong to the private Jewish companies), and it doesn't have a new number, like the other ones (01 to 11).

Perhaps they come at a certain time. I did see it going up Broadway, heading west away from Roosevelt station.

Not exactly. These Orions came from the city of Fairfield, the operator is unknown at the time.

They came from the Fairfax Connector in Virginia just outside DC. They've been selling these units like mad, a bunch of private Jewish companies (IIRC Private Transportation/B110 has a few) have them but I don't know who this one belonge to.

I should also mention all-green Gilligs I see running across the Williamsburg Bridge all the time. I figure it's likely the same Jewish company that used to run ex Triboro fishbowls across the bridge,as late as 2000.

I should also mention all-green Gilligs I see running across the Williamsburg Bridge all the time. I figure it's likely the same Jewish company that used to run ex Triboro fishbowls across the bridge,as late as 2000.

Those are Sightseeing Gilligs. I've seen them at 42nd Street and 125th Street. I suppose those are stored in Brooklyn.

Those are Sightseeing Gilligs. I've seen them at 42nd Street and 125th Street. I suppose those are stored in Brooklyn.

They are stored near the Gershow scrap lot on Junius St in Brooklyn. a 10 minute walk from my house

Why are these Fairfax buses so popular? Are they kept in especially good condition down there in VA? I don't see too many other transit companies' old buses out here. 

Lol, but actually, they aren't that old. The Jewish ones and this one are about 13-14 years old. Maybe if the MTA bought some.......

Lol, but actually, they aren't that old. The Jewish ones and this one are about 13-14 years old. Maybe if the MTA bought some.......

Lol @ "the Jewish ones"--I don't think the buses are Jewish. 13 years sounds pretty old to me for a bus. 

Why are these Fairfax buses so popular? Are they kept in especially good condition down there in VA? I don't see too many other transit companies' old buses out here. 

I would assume Farfax's units are popular due to the proximity to NY, as well as the cost. As I recall, many of the units were auctioned for less than $1500.00.

I suspect that they may be shuttles to and from Bulova Corporate Center. To me, I think that the MTA should have looked into buying the 40-footers on the cheap to replace the worn-out ex-Bees. (A DC-area transit fan bought one of the 30-footers.)

I suspect that they may be shuttles to and from Bulova Corporate Center. To me, I think that the MTA should have looked into buying the 40-footers on the cheap to replace the worn-out ex-Bees. (A DC-area transit fan bought one of the 30-footers.)

http://www.vnsny.org/system/assets/0000/0566/qnsdir.original.pdf

But that doesn't explain the ex-fairfax shuttles being sighted in Forest Hills.

I've been seeing the Fairfax Buses a lot up here too. I can't believe they're that old. Look like FC could've gotten some more mileage out of them

I was going to go down there and work for them, but didn't have the right license. If FC is getting rid of their buses like they are, what are they replacing them with?

I've been seeing the Fairfax Buses a lot up here too. I can't believe they're that old. Look like FC could've gotten some more mileage out of them

I was going to go down there and work for them, but didn't have the right license. If FC is getting rid of their buses like they are, what are they replacing them with?

I think XD40s.

http://www.vnsny.org/system/assets/0000/0566/qnsdir.original.pdf

But that doesn't explain the ex-fairfax shuttles being sighted in Forest Hills.

Says it's operated by Golden Touch, which runs a lot of the employee shuttles for airlines at the airports. They have quite an interesting fleet (anything from old D40LFs to GMC RTS and Gilligs) for those shuttle runs but they always have "GOLDEN TOUCH OF NY INC." as the operator on the side, and there's no operator on the side at all, and I don't see a "Bulova Corporate Center" sign on any of those buses. Wouldn't surprise me if they bought a few though, seems they're into used older buses.

Well if these are running for Bulova, sounds like you can get on them by telling the op that you're going there. You might find a nice variety of buses aside from ex-FC O5s judging by their fleet running with the airlines. And you're right, it doesn't explain them being in Forest Hills.

Archived