Newsday- IT"S NOT NICE TO LEAVE EARLY

Today's newspaper: I don't know if anyone posted yet, so I don't have access to Newsday mobile, I copy from Newspaper.

IT"S NOT NICE to leave early.

Company tells drivers to wait at stops until posted time.

by Alfonso A. Castillo

alfonso.castillo@newsday.com

NICE bus officials have told drivers to not leave scheduled stops early after complaints from riders that the practice can strand riders as much as an hour.

The Nassau Inter-County Express system of tracking on-time performance allows for buses to arrive and leave scheduled stops as much as five minutes earlier than the published times. A rider who misses a bus that left early must wait for the next bus, which can be an hour later, transit advocates say.

"The problem is that people come for their buses when it's scheduled to arrive on a certain time. They don't come early," said Charlene Obernauer, founder of the Long Island Bus Riders Union. "You wouldn't expect your 9am train to leave at 8:55."

NICE Chief executive Michael Setzer said he doesn't hear complaints from riders about buses leaving too early, but some customers says it's routine occurence.

"It happens to me all the time," said Miguel Mack, 19, of Mineola, who takes the N40/N41 to Queensboro Community College. Mack said he sees his bus pull away from his stops as hew walks toward it a few minutes before the scheduled arrival time. "I just want it to come on the time that I see it (on the schedule)."

Of 13 buses leaving the Mineola Intermodal Center between 2 and 3 p.m. last Monday, three left one minute early before their scheduled times, two left two minutes early, and one left three minutes early.

A NICE representative similarly momitored arriving and departing buses at Mienola on Wednesday and reported that the 7 of 95 buses left a minute or more before their scheduled times. The earliest of those rolled out five minutes ahead of schedule.

NICE service quality managers subsequently advised that they must not leave early, the agency said Friday.

"NICE's goal is to adhere as closely as possible to its schedules avoding both early and late departures," the agency said in a statement. "Bus operators are instructed to maintain the schedule - NICE agrees that there should not be instances of buses departing early that could affect some riders."

The riders union, a nonprofit advocacy group, in a report last month cited NICE's clculation of on-time performance as being as much as five minutes early or late.

Setzer said allowing buses to leave the early is more lenient than the industry standard of no more than one minute before a scheduled departure time. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which operated Nassau's bus system for 37 years until Veolia Transportation took it over in January 2012, follows the industry standard of one minute.

Setzer said the on-time calculation method is used to by the company hired to track NICE perfomance and he intends to "tighten up" the policy.

"There's no benefit for us to arrive at a stop early and then leave early," Setzer said. "It would be counterproductive."

If a NICE bus is running ahead of schedule, the driver would know to slow down, and even pull over, before reaching the next stop, he said, adding that a driver running ahead of schedule would face disciplinary measures.

Felix Marine, 24, of Freeport, said he's become so used to buses leaving early that he routinely arrives at bus stop 10 minutes early "just in case."

"Because, sometimes, they'll just take off," he said.

Some riders may not be aware that a bus arrived and left early, instead of thinking it's very late or never came at all.

NICE's systemwide on-time perfomance is around 80 percent, Setzer said, mostly from late-arriving buses.

Tracking buses' arrival times will become easier when a new real-time monitoring system, including global positioning technology, is installed on buses. NICE plans to select a vendor to design and install a system next month, and to have it operating by the end of 2014.

This is probably not ONLY for NICE, I've had this situation a couple of times on the B3 and B44.  But what do I do?  I actually get to the bus stop early..I treat it like how I check for traffic before hand and just plan accordingly.

I'm sure people can take a few minutes and get somewhere slightly earlier and deal with it.  Doesn't seem MUCH of a big deal to me.

Speaking from experience of living in the suburbs, timetables are very important to follow for the sake of everyone, especially when the next trip doesn't arrive for 60+ minutes. If the a**hole operator on your planned trip decides to run hot that can f**k up the day of as many as 50 or more passengers. Not fun when the next trip has to handle two loads of passengers.

In short, timetables should be followed exactly to the minute, and constant offenders of running early should be reprimanded.

Speaking from experience of living in the suburbs, timetables are very important to follow for the sake of everyone, especially when the next trip doesn't arrive for 60+ minutes. If the a**hole operator on your planned trip decides to run hot that can f**k up the day of as many as 50 or more passengers. Not fun when the next trip has to handle two loads of passengers.

In short, timetables should be followed exactly to the minute, and constant offenders of running early should be reprimanded.

At least the bee-line is exact to the minute. Only a handful of NICE lines are hourly N79 and N49 come to mind N49 is less frequent a bit. N19 and N48 also N32/31 run every 30+ mins other lines yeah you get the idea. 

At least the bee-line is exact to the minute. Only a handful of NICE lines are hourly N79 and N49 come to mind N49 is less frequent a bit. N19 and N48 also N32/31 run every 30+ mins other lines yeah you get the idea. 

I have been on Bee-Line #21 LTD left one or two minutes early.

I have seen Bee-Line BxM4C leave three minutes early as well.

Well, on one hand, you shouldn't be cutting it down to the very last minute to catch your bus, but on the other hand, I understand that people have situations where they're pretty much forced to do that (for instance, if their class or job ends at a certain time, or if they're transferring from another bus/train). But the B/O shouldn't be taking it to the extreme of leaving the terminal 5+ minutes early. Maybe 2-3 minutes tops if it's a line where the schedule is cut really tight and they're trying to cut down on how late they arrive to the other terminal (especially if it's a packed bus)

I can understand a couple minutes, but from my experience I have been on buses that leave 5 min or more early. Now I always try my best to arrive at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to it's scheduled arrival, but when a bus is 10 min hot that's not good enough. On some lines, you have to leave a few min early or run very late. Like for example my n35 came several minutes early in Westbury today, but sitting at the long traffic light at Post + Old Country made us late, even though we were early, then there were a ton of students at NCC, so we were now almost 8 min late. Funny though the really early buses are usually on the n20 on weekends when traffic is lighter. They need to maybe add some running time to some routes at certain times, while maybe lowering it on routes like the n20 on weekends.

I can understand a couple minutes, but from my experience I have been on buses that leave 5 min or more early. Now I always try my best to arrive at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to it's scheduled arrival, but when a bus is 10 min hot that's not good enough. On some lines, you have to leave a few min early or run very late. Like for example my n35 came several minutes early in Westbury today, but sitting at the long traffic light at Post + Old Country made us late, even though we were early, then there were a ton of students at NCC, so we were now almost 8 min late. Funny though the really early buses are usually on the n20 on weekends when traffic is lighter. They need to maybe add some running time to some routes at certain times, while maybe lowering it on routes like the n20 on weekends.

better idea change the schedule to reflect actual run time this way on-time performance improves.

I have been on Bee-Line #21 LTD left one or two minutes early.

I have seen Bee-Line BxM4C leave three minutes early as well.

ohh boo hoo 3 mins early no one gives 2 shits about the BXM4C anymore unless they simply don't know any better. 21 CMON MAN be at your stop early. That is rare with the bee-line though.

better idea change the schedule to reflect actual run time this way on-time performance improves.

ohh boo hoo 3 mins early no one gives 2 shits about the BXM4C anymore unless they simply don't know any better. 21 CMON MAN be at your stop early. That is rare with the bee-line though.

I'd still take the BxM4C whenever I have to go to White Plains. Nice transfer from the BM5

I am always early. For any transit agency or tour bus, long-distance bus,  I always get to bus stop 6-10 minutes early just in case. For NICE/SCT stop, I sometimes wait 10-25 minutes early.

You must have a lot of time to waste.

The n19 comes every 30 min, 40 min, 60 min according to the time of the day.

I've had to start waiting for the bus 10 minutes before the scheduled time if I want to get the n19!, the bus comes way before 5 minutes before.

This is nothing new this happened under (MTA) LI Bus was well.  I've complained about this before, the drivers only care about getting to Freeport as early as they can so they can sit around, instead of doing the job they've been hired to do: give the community a ride.  I've noticed this has been a problem with the drivers who've been around for a while and feel they can do whatever they want.

It's nice to see Setzer getting involved and NICE doing something about it.  Then again when I took the bus everyday one n19 driver would park for about 5-10 min a block before Freeport LIRR because he'd get "holla'd at" for getting in to early.  Then there was my favorite who'd speed like hell in the morning until he got to Seamansneck Rd. pull over and eat his sandwich. lmao

On a side note, I've watched the S1 before and if the train is late, they wait for it!  When people are coming down the stairs they wait to see if anyone wants to get on the bus!

I'm sure people can take a few minutes and get somewhere slightly earlier and deal with it.  Doesn't seem MUCH of a big deal to me.

The problem was it wasn't a few minutes, NICE suggests you get to the bus stop 5 min early and then you frequently have B/O's blowing by more than 5 min early,

How is that better if it's exactly what he's proposing?

it's not, but in any event it makes NICE look better, internally anyway. Passenger perception remains the same if not worse.

The n19 comes every 30 min, 40 min, 60 min according to the time of the day.

I've had to start waiting for the bus 10 minutes before the scheduled time if I want to get the n19!, the bus comes way before 5 minutes before.

This is nothing new this happened under (MTA) LI Bus was well.  I've complained about this before, the drivers only care about getting to Freeport as early as they can so they can sit around, instead of doing the job they've been hired to do: give the community a ride.  I've noticed this has been a problem with the drivers who've been around for a while and feel they can do whatever they want.

It's nice to see Setzer getting involved and NICE doing something about it.  Then again when I took the bus everyday one n19 driver would park for about 5-10 min a block before Freeport LIRR because he'd get "holla'd at" for getting in to early.  Then there was my favorite who'd speed like hell in the morning until he got to Seamansneck Rd. pull over and eat his sandwich. lmao

On a side note, I've watched the S1 before and if the train is late, they wait for it!  When people are coming down the stairs they wait to see if anyone wants to get on the bus!

Lemme guess, Subway

I'd love to know where the hell buses actually run EARLY.  I've never seen anything run early here.  Maybe at the crack of dawn before rush hour I can get but I haven't been on an early bus here ( (MTA) or otherwise) since before the 2010 cuts.

n20. On Monday, April 8th, 2013, last 11pm n20 Roslyn #1833 left it's first stop, Flushing, 29 minutes early at 10:31 which was new male driver. He wasn't suppose to leave until 11pm.

Sometimes n20/n21 could be early because late buses picking up all the crowds, and next bus could be empty, crowded, less crowded, or overcrowded, empty.

n20. On Monday, April 8th, 2013, last 11pm n20 Roslyn #1833 left it's first stop, Flushing, 29 minutes early at 10:31 which was new male driver. He wasn't suppose to leave until 11pm.

Sometimes n20/n21 could be early because late buses picking up all the crowds, and next bus could be empty, crowded, less crowded, or overcrowded, empty.

That bus was most likely the 10:30 bus and the 11pm bus just never showed up. If it did stop at Roslyn, then maybe the driver cut the run short. But I've never had a NICE bus leave half an hour early. That's just stupid for the B/O to do.

I'd still take the BxM4C whenever I have to go to White Plains. Nice transfer from the BM5

I used to do it when the fare was reasonable now I am better off with MNRR. That bus gets stuck in traffic too much for me to be paying $7.50 for it and to make things worse it doesn't even accept transfers from MTA buses there is no logical reason to use it anymore. It doesn't run when the deegan is clear cause it only runs at rush hour when the I-87 major parking lot is basically a standstill. It's a waste of time and money. I used it before cause it was cheaper than MNRR and was bearable outside rush. Now all it does is crawl and on top of that it's a rip-off to a daily rider. Yes the MNRR has peak fare but it moves and W buses are timed very well with trains.

That bus was most likely the 10:30 bus and the 11pm bus just never showed up. If it did stop at Roslyn, then maybe the driver cut the run short. But I've never had a NICE bus leave half an hour early. That's just stupid for the B/O to do.

I think he just likes to overblow things with NICE for the hell of it.

I'd love to know where the hell buses actually run EARLY.  I've never seen anything run early here.  Maybe at the crack of dawn before rush hour I can get but I haven't been on an early bus here ( (MTA) or otherwise) since before the 2010 cuts.

Don't we all you are probably just plain unlucky.

Incorrect.

10:30pm n20 Hicksville show up and departed 1 minute late.

New male driver on 11:00pm n20 Roslyn just left soon as Hicksville bus left. I didn't stay until 11pm to see if people were will be waiting for last bus that left early because I was very late home.

I think he just likes to overblow things with NICE for the hell of it.

Don't we all you are probably just plain unlucky.

I am not. It was last bus of day, and he wasn't suppose to leave early. That B/O did the wrong thing, leaving passengers stranded not knowing last bus left very early.

Railroads have a master clock at various locations that employees compare their watch. Railroads specify the manufacturers employees can purchase their watch. Does NICE have a master clock employees can compare their watch.

Railroad specifications include the watch must be accurate within one minute of the master clock. Applying the same standard to NICE, a bus leaving one minute early is within the acceptable range. A bigger question is do passengers compare their watches to the master clock, if one is available?

I couldn't understand why my car's clock had the correct time but my GPS was wrong. One day, I called TIME on my cell phone to find out if the phone had the correct time. I then compared my cell phone to the phone to the clock and GPS and found the GPS was right. (Don't even ask why I questioned if GPS had the right time.) I adjusted the car's clock and now it's in sync with the GPS, within a minute.

NICE doesn't have run number boxes like the MTA. How do street supervisors know if a bus is on time. Do NICE buses have a tracking system like MTA Bus Time, if not for the public but for NICE supervision?

NICE Bus has run # on their paddle sheet. Student ambassador and NICE surveyers asked B/Os what run # they're doing.

I know the run number is on the paddle. There's no public display of the run number. Suppose the NICE supervisor can't stop the bus to ask for the run number?

Archived