21 People Hurt in NICE Bus Accident (1877 Involved)

Not sure of the cause of the accident, but knowing the way LI motorists are, especially in Greenvale, it's probably not the fault of the NICE Bus. Saw this on a TV playing News 12 today, heard on subchat it was bus 1877. This was all I could find on the internet. I sure hope 1877 is back on the road soon, heard it got a smashed windshield.

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/33019

ScreenShot001_zps622f11bc.jpg

ScreenShot002_zpsdd2cadc7.jpg

ScreenShot003_zps31c22d18.jpg

1877 was pretty smashed up!

From FiOs:

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/33019

Nearly two-dozen people are recovering after a Nassau Inter Express County (NICE) bus collided with a minivan Monday night at Glen Cove and Back roads, according to police. None of the injuries are considered life-threatening, authorities say. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

From News12:

Click link for video of bus:

http://longisland.news12.com/news/21-suffer-minor-injuries-when-nice-bus-minivan-collide-in-roslyn-heights-1.5212563?firstfree=yes

ROSLYN HEIGHTS - Twenty one people were injured last night when a NICE bus collided with a minivan in Roslyn Heights.

The accident happened at around 10:30 p.m. at the intersection of Glen Cove Road and Back Road.

Police say all 21 injuries were non-life threatening, however, 11 people were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Authorities have not said what may have caused the crash.

Damn it. Can't anyone drive in Nassau County? This is happening much to often.

Nassau drivers are the worst. They are totally oblivious to what's happening around them, probably because they are talking on the damn phone. I've had so many near misses, mainly because they either pull out in traffic without looking (Often just feet away from the bus), or decide to just cut in front of the bus at it's turning. Then as a pedestrian I have to deal with sidewalk blockers who stick out in traffic, forcing me to wait, or risk walking around them. Then of course there's the ones that decide to slam on their brakes at green lights. It's no wonder NICE put the drivecams on the buses and added those announcements, hopefully the drivecam worked and we'll see the cause of this accident, though it appears the bus had the green arrow and the minivan decided to make a right in front of the turning bus. Sure sucks it's awalys the new buses, but I guess LI motorists see a new bus and want to smash into it.  I just hope 1877 is back on the road soon.

Nassau drivers are the worst. They are totally oblivious to what's happening around them, probably because they are talking on the damn phone. I've had so many near misses, mainly because they either pull out in traffic without looking (Often just feet away from the bus), or decide to just cut in front of the bus at it's turning. Then as a pedestrian I have to deal with sidewalk blockers who stick out in traffic, forcing me to wait, or risk walking around them. Then of course there's the ones that decide to slam on their brakes at green lights. It's no wonder NICE put the drivecams on the buses and added those announcements, hopefully the drivecam worked and we'll see the cause of this accident, though it appears the bus had the green arrow and the minivan decided to make a right in front of the turning bus. Sure sucks it's awalys the new buses, but I guess LI motorists see a new bus and want to smash into it.  I just hope 1877 is back on the road soon.

Either way I hope those injured can enjoy a quick recovery.

Also, I'm wondering who is supplying Orion parts at this time. Surely they're offered as you can still pick up new Flxible parts.

Both Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester and Rockland counties motorists are worst. Even in five boroughs of NYC.

The ones on LI seem to be a little worse though. If a cell phone blocker was mandatory on all running vehicles (it would not block 911 calls) watch the accident rate drop off the cliff.

1877 is not totaled. I assure you it will be repaired.

Either way I hope those injured can enjoy a quick recovery.

Also, I'm wondering who is supplying Orion parts at this time. Surely they're offered as you can still pick up new Flxible parts.

New Flyer took over majority of the Orion parts and repair business.

Jesus, that's a bad accident. Amazed the driver of the minivan wasn't killed. It looks like a head on collision, and more likely that it is the minivan at fault, since smaller vehicles tend to move and swerve around the road and take risks a lot more than a big bus.

Once reason newer buses tend to get into more accidents may be that the older, more experienced B/O's prefer the older buses they were trained on. Younger drivers tend to have a harder time avoiding close calls, since there is nothing better than driving experience in avoiding accidents. 

Jesus, that's a bad accident. Amazed the driver of the minivan wasn't killed. It looks like a head on collision, and more likely that it is the minivan at fault, since smaller vehicles tend to move and swerve around the road and take risks a lot more than a big bus.

Once reason newer buses tend to get into more accidents may be that the older, more experienced B/O's prefer the older buses they were trained on. Younger drivers tend to have a harder time avoiding close calls, since there is nothing better than driving experience in avoiding accidents. 

The NICE driver was found to be at fault. On-board camera showed he ran red light. Was told he was terminated.

The NICE driver was found to be at fault. On-board camera showed he ran red light. Was told he was terminated.

Well thats one for the record books. NICE doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me anymore.

That was a left turn arrow too, geesh. I see a red light camera going up in that spot shortly. Definitely not good publicity for NICE, that is if it ever gets published (doubt it).

That was a left turn arrow too, geesh. I see a red light camera going up in that spot shortly. Definitely not good publicity for NICE, that is if it ever gets published (doubt it).

Take the idiot's licence and roast it over an open flame. suffolk I would say is a bit better than nassau.

The funny thing is that NICE operators are trained not to run reds and will stop at them even if they're at speed right under the light.  I don't know how the North Shore is less densely populated yet people manage to get into worse accidents up there.

Well thats one for the record books. NICE doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me anymore.

This might have been the first thread I read where NICE did the get the benefit of the doubt, you're entitled to your opinion.  All it takes is one idiot to ruin the reputation of every driver in the system.  If it's true what Hound reported, the driver is an idiot but there are idiots everywhere, in every system working for every company.  It doesn't mean every driver working there is a bad driver or not worthy of the benefit of the doubt.  Statistics prove this is the exception not the norm....

i was on that bus that day

Congrats.

LMAO!

Was this a "new" NICE driver or a driver that came over from (MTA) LIB?

Archived