21 People Hurt in NICE Bus Accident (1877 Involved)

Happens even if the bus operator is signaling that (s)he is trying to get back into the lane.... idiots will just cut the bus off as if it wasn't there.

Hmm, do they have to let the bus go first or not? Because I know here in my country they have to let the bus go first within city limis but not on stops outside the city limit unless the stop is on the traffic lane itself (which is getting quite rare in 2013). What are the rules on LI regarding that?

Hmm, do they have to let the bus go first or not? Because I know here in my country they have to let the bus go first within city limis but not on stops outside the city limit unless the stop is on the traffic lane itself (which is getting quite rare in 2013). What are the rules on LI regarding that?

To my knowledge there is no laws or regulations set in Nassau or NY state for the matter in regard to yielding for the bus.

On the contrary NJ has a yield to bus law. With that said, it's not always followed, or enforced for the matter.

In NYS the bus getting back into traffic is merging back into traffic and MUST yield the right of way to vehicles in that lane.  It's the same principle of merging onto the highway, if you take a road trip and see trucks getting in the left lane it's because it's common courtesy to get over and allow vehicles to easily merge onto the highway  This doesn't happen much in the tri state area but you'll see it upstate, down south, out west, more so from professional drivers.

IMHO everyone should give the same courtesy to every bus  

As far as NJ could you imagine how much man power it would take to enforce that law ?  To ticket every driver that doesn't yield the right of way?  However, this is one of those laws that is enforced after an accident, you don't yield the right of way to a bus, get into an accident, and you'll probably get a ticket.

Happens even if the bus operator is signaling that (s)he is trying to get back into the lane.... idiots will just cut the bus off as if it wasn't there.

Wouldn't be a shock if it was daddy's girl in a giant SUV...

Archived