Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
pelhamlocal

The Reason 75's aren't allowed in ENY, specifically Alabama Av

I've always heard that 75's aren't allowed in ENY, specifically Alabama Av, but have heard multiple stories. So what the reality of it?

Not Alabama; it's past Crescent St. (on that line. Other places on other lines).

• Upvote 2

JBar387's photo:

R46 at Fresh Pond Road:

R46.jpg

Edited by GojiMet86
  • Upvote 2

I don't know why but Fresh Pond's curve would always look like 9 Avenue's curve to me.

Edited by peacemak3r
  • Upvote 1

I don't know that photo forever looks like 9 Avenue on the current (D) to me.

There are some buses down there, and it's only two tracks that enter the station. That third one on the left ends abruptly there.

Edited by GojiMet86

I've always heard that 75's aren't allowed in ENY, specifically Alabama Av, but have heard multiple stories. So what the reality of it?

It's past Crescent St, and because the curve is too sharp. And like others said, it is also dangerous for two 75' cars to cross Williamsburg Bridge at the same time. And if you think about it, all stations were already made or converted to 600 ft. platforms, except for the BMT Eastern Lines, ( (J)(L)(M)(Z) ) and converting it would cost money (which the MTA obviously does not want to spend lol)

Edited by mtattrain
  • Upvote 1

JBar387's photo:

R46 at Fresh Pond Road:

R46.jpg

They stopped trains coming from the other direction since it would sideswipe other trains

It also applies north of Essex (the switches), and on the other side of the bridge on the curves after leaving Marcy Av

• Upvote 1

Guest Lance

JBar387's photo:

R46 at Fresh Pond Road:

<picture removed>

That was taken during a fan trip for the bicentennial of the country. As Fresh Pond stated, special provisions were made so that set of 46s could run on the Eastern Division.

• Upvote 2

There are some buses down there, and it's only two tracks that enter the station. That third one on the left ends abruptly there.

I figured that after I clicked the photo and changed my response.

So someone finally found an original image of the picture! (One used to be up, and was gone for good, and for the longest time, a crude scanned printout of it I put up was the only one out there!)

So someone finally found an original image of the picture! (One used to be up, and was gone for good, and for the longest time, a crude scanned printout of it I put up was the only one out there!)

There's that one on your site and on a SubChat thread, and this one was put up a few months ago.

Why can't 75'ers run over the bridge, is there a weight limit?

The curves are too sharp, you would only be able torun the 75-footer and nothing else from the opposite direction, otherwise, they'd sidewipe each other.

• Upvote 1

Guest MTA Bus

The MTA realized that it would be too costly to modify the BMT Eastern Division to fit 600' trains, which is why they decided to leave it the way it is.

Edited by MTA Bus

^^Well, certain areas of the line would have made it impossible anyway.

Edited by LTA1992
  • Upvote 1

The MTA realized that it would be too costly to modify the BMT Eastern Division to fit 600' trains, which is why they decided to leave it the way it is.

Although they did ran 67' car trains in the past and people have said the platforms could hold a 9 60' car train. So they'd really need to extend the platforms just over 60-70'* and then you can fit a whole 600' train. Eastern division just keeps getting shafted. Eventually the L needs longer trains because they can only keep running so many trains on it..

*Metropolitan av would need to be extended 120'.

Although they did ran 67' car trains in the past and people have said the platforms could hold a 9 60' car train. So they'd really need to extend the platforms just over 60-70'* and then you can fit a whole 600' train. Eastern division just keeps getting shafted. Eventually the L needs longer trains because they can only keep running so many trains on it..

*Metropolitan av would need to be extended 120'.

Don't hold your breath on that

Clearance issues. 75 footers are banned from entering the BMT Eastern Division (Canarsie, Myrtle, Nassau St., Jamaica & Broadway Brooklyn) because of sharp turns. They cannot enter either via the Chrystie St connector to the 6th Ave. local tracks or at the point where the Broadway & Nassau St. lines meet in the Montague Street tubes south of Whitehall St.