Going from New York to the West Coast

Bracamonte

I always wanted to do a cross country trip without using the plane.  But for me I think I rather have that experience driving...but of course I'd need more money for that.

Taking a train would come 2nd if more people came along I guess.

Knowing that Superliners cant fit into NY Penn, It would be nice that a through train from Philadelphia to Oakland as a combo of a reincarnated Broadway Limited/California Zephyr with Superliner equipment (using a connecting train from NY of course)

Yes! it is absolute madness as itakes about 4 days to reach the West Coast which includes a change of trains in Chicago.

I did it 25-30 years ago riding coach and it depends on the passengers as some trips can be quite enjoyable and others a total disaster.. I did two plane and rail trips (fly there and return by train) (New York - San Francisco) three weeks apart in 1992 and one was a horror show and the other one was fine. It is the same with a plane or bus as it depends on the passengers.

Knowing that Superliners cant fit into NY Penn, It would be nice that a through train from Philadelphia to Oakland as a combo of a reincarnated Broadway Limited/California Zephyr with Superliner equipment (using a connecting train from NY of course)

You can not serve Philadelphia with Superliner equipment as they are low level platform boarding cars.

I did a DC to Chicago run on the Capitol Limited back in 09, and aside from a Severe Weather delay out of DC Union, it wasn't that bad (of course it would be overnight so no chance to see in the dark).

/Would've taken it out of Penn had it not been for the fact I was in DC already.

I did a DC to Chicago run on the Capitol Limited back in 09, and aside from a Severe Weather delay out of DC Union, it wasn't that bad (of course it would be overnight so no chance to see in the dark).

/Would've taken it out of Penn had it not been for the fact I was in DC already.

the on-time performance did drastically improve since 2008 though.

Anyone ever thought about taking Amtrak from New York to the west such as Oregon or California? Transfers are made at Chicago Union Station to a train heading west. It would be an interesting experience.

You can also transfer at New Orleans on the Sunset, which I've done. I also on the Olympian Hiawatha and Desert Wind as part of a cross country trip.

Archived