S90 Busway vs S44 Select Bus Service

The S59 would take over the duty of the S44 local route and continue to St George. It's not far-fetched at all when two proposals included the S59 running to St George along the S40 line instead. Select Bus Service on the 44 would reach more people instead of requiring a walk down to Richmond Terrace first to catch the Select S90.

Also there is a ton of new development happening in St George including the new giant ferris wheel and accompanying very large mall that may usher some kind of action on "The Busway" because of the right of way sitting so close.

So when the Busway plan goes through, realistically Staten Island will end up only with a S90 select bus service making all "S1/S2" stops and not the extravagant plan of having all the north-south buses run along a viaduct to St George as well. They will probably continue to offer "2nd free transfers" from Port Richmond station and leave those routes as-is (S53, S54, S57 and S59) departing out of Port Richmond and not St George. Select Bus Service is the new thing now, and the S90 was the very first limited route on Staten Island and now it will be the first Select Bus Service to run out of St George. The S90 select bus service will most likely run on richmond terrace and not it's own viaduct. The S42 could be placed back to Ramp C and the Select S90 could be placed along Ramp D. The line probably would not run any more often than 10 minutes early in the morning and every 15 minutes other times.

The bus-only proposal of the north shore plan had the S40 eliminated and replaced by the S53 between Arlington and Port Richmond and by the S57 and S59 between St George and Port Richmond. The S90 was not eliminated in the bus-only proposal.

Where's the damn facepalm when you need one?

The S90 was not the first limited-stop route. I have a 1993 map that shows the S91 & S92 as the only limited-stop routes on the island. The S90 wasn't implemented until the late 90s (I think 1998 or something. Or it might've been in the early 2000s, but I don't think so), and it started as a PM-only route.

And in so many words, they said they pulled crap out of their ass without putting any real thought into it. That's why they ended up with ridiculous proposals like extending the S59 to St. George, or that X21 proposal.

And the busway would involve extending the S57 & S59 to St. George via the busway. That's what that retarded woman aat the meetings was ranting about with the bus ramp by Alaska Street. It shows it right there in Turbo's map.

On page 62, they say both the S40/90 would be kept. In that case, it's kind of stupid that the S40/90 get the S53/83 to supplement them, when hardly anybody transfers between those routes, and the S40/90 get lower ridership than the S53/83. Of course, considering that they pulled this crap out of their ass without bothering to study it, that explains why they came up with such a hare-fast idea.

On a side note, SMH at some of the obvious errors on the NSAA page.

North-south circulation is limited within the study area. The main access routes between the study area and points south (including the Staten Island Expressway) are South Avenue, Harbor Road, Richmond Avenue/Morningstar Road, Route 440 (MLK Expressway), Port Richmond Avenue, Jewett Avenue/Bradley Avenue, Clove Road, Bennett Avenue, Bard Avenue, Lafayette Avenue, Jersey Street, and Bay Street.

For starters, it's Bement Avenue, not "Bennett Avenue", and second of all, I'd like to know on what planet Harbor Road is this "main access road". For that matter, Bement Avenue & Lafayette Avenue aren't particularly large either.

I wouldn't say only at the rush, every now and then when I took the S40 back to the ferry around 9pm, we did get a pretty packed load with standees.

But that's normal. Same for weekends. But have you ever seen people have to be stopped from getting on the bus? I haven't. This just mean that the scheduling is right where it needs to be imo.

But that's normal. Same for weekends. But have you ever seen people have to be stopped from getting on the bus? I haven't. This just mean that the scheduling is right where it needs to be imo.

It's uncommon, but its happened before along the 40 when I was boarding at Broadway & Richmond Terrace. One time, there was a time when folks enter through the back and then the B/O just changed the sign to Next Bus Please. I had to pass that one up(operator was 6 minutes late). Luckily, another bus that initially looked like a deadhead to St. George actually signed up as an S40 once it got to Broadway and picked us up along with other along the way. Seemed like that same S40 I passed up was doing drop-offs only.

It's uncommon, but its happened before along the 40 when I was boarding at Broadway & Richmond Terrace. One time, there was a time when folks enter through the back and then the B/O just changed the sign to Next Bus Please. I had to pass that one up(operator was 6 minutes late). Luckily, another bus that initially looked like a deadhead to St. George actually signed up as an S40 once it got to Broadway and picked us up along with other along the way. Seemed like that same S40 I passed up was doing drop-offs only.

I've heard a decent number of complaints about that (the fact that so many buses use Richmond Terrace to deadhead between Castleton & St. George, and yet when the S40 screws up, they keep sending them as deadheads instead of picking up passengers). Glad that issue's being addressed.

I've heard a decent number of complaints about that (the fact that so many buses use Richmond Terrace to deadhead between Castleton & St. George, and yet when the S40 screws up, they keep sending them as deadheads instead of picking up passengers). Glad that issue's being addressed.

It doesn't happen often, every now and then it does. Last week I had to use the S40 and I had to pass up one again because it was late and packed. I just decided to walk to the terminal and I didn't see another bus until I was between Westervelt Avenue and St. Marks Place along Richmond Terrace. I was like f**k it, I'll just walk the rest of the way.

Archived