West End-Brighton line swap

46Dover

In addition to what Eric B said, the commuters from Bensonhurst wanted a 24/7 access to Grand Street as well. Since the (B) is a part time route and the (D) a full time route, the best thing to do was to swap both routes.

From a Brighton Line rider perspective, it was the best thing that happened to the line in years as it provided Brighton Line riders with more reliable service which disappeared with Chrystie Street. The service has improved considerably as full time service terminates at 57th Street  (extended to Astoria in 2010) which is a blessing for those of us who live in Southern Brooklyn.  

Not going to lie, the switch caused me to drive out to Chinatown, Manhattan on weekends more since the (B) doesn't run on weekends.  But it's no biggie.  If you haven't guess already I go towards Grand Street more often and am too lazy to walk from the (Q)'s Canal Street.

• 2 weeks later...

West End wanted full time service, Brighton wanted full time Bway service, so the full time (D) went West End, and the part time (B) filled in on the part time Brighton express.

I was thinking about the same thing for implemented full time train service on the West End Line, but I was hoping for the (B) and (D) lines to

stay in their corresponding corridors with the (B) Trains operating between 145th St, Manhattan, and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn at all

times except weekday rush hours (train service is extended to Bedford Park Blvd, Bronx). Also, with the (D) Train staying on the Brighton Line

operating between Norwood-205th St, Bronx, and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn, making local stops in The Bronx and Brooklyn, and

express stops in Manhattan at all times except weekday rush hours (train service runs express in The Bronx, peak direction only: southbound

6:15-9:07 AM and northbound 4:10-7:20 PM). With all that taken care of, maybe the "Broadway" (Q) line would replace the "Broadway" <Q>

as its new Brighton Express Line where it'll operate express between 57th St-7th Av, Manhattan, and Brighton Beach, Brooklyn at all times

except late nights and weekends (train service would have eventually run local only in Manhattan in place of the already-discontinued (W) line.

(N) Trains would have eventually run express between 57th St-7th Av and Canal St at all times). Doesn't that sound too convienent or too

complicated to everyone?

I was thinking about the same thing for implemented full time train service on the West End Line, but I was hoping for the (B) and (D) lines to

stay in their corresponding corridors with the (B) Trains operating between 145th St, Manhattan, and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn at all

times except weekday rush hours (train service is extended to Bedford Park Blvd, Bronx). Also, with the (D) Train staying on the Brighton Line

operating between Norwood-205th St, Bronx, and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn, making local stops in The Bronx and Brooklyn, and

express stops in Manhattan at all times except weekday rush hours (train service runs express in The Bronx, peak direction only: southbound

6:15-9:07 AM and northbound 4:10-7:20 PM). With all that taken care of, maybe the "Broadway" (Q) line would replace the "Broadway" <Q>

as its new Brighton Express Line where it'll operate express between 57th St-7th Av, Manhattan, and Brighton Beach, Brooklyn at all times

except late nights and weekends (train service would have eventually run local only in Manhattan in place of the already-discontinued (W) line.

(N) Trains would have eventually run express between 57th St-7th Av and Canal St at all times). Doesn't that sound too convienent or too

complicated to everyone?

Or they could run service like they do now, and run the B train 18/7. 

I really wish they'd start running the (B) on weekends, just so I could stop hearing "when is the (B) train gonna come??" over and over every Saturday.......unfortunately with all of the weekend track work which goes on 6th Ave and CPW, there just wouldn't be the capacity for it.

Archived