R-211 Soliciations Have Been Posted

The Real

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see some manufacturer attempt a forged composite monocoque subway car. I'm assuming, considering the year these will enter production, we'll be seeing some Siemens Syntegra type trucks with gearless permanent magnet motor axles. That would also save plenty of weight.

Well if the C is to get the 8 car R179 trains, those could always be loaned/bumped off to eastern division. Eastern is the only place that is restrictive for anything over 67' long. R211s will more or less just replace the R46s. Now whether the A gets to have the r211s directly or CI/concourse yd takes them and bumps off the R68s is another matter.

* not sure if this will allow for 64 cars to be sent to the sirt if the intention is to directly replace the ~750 r46s running now.

=

Yes! 75' car trains! It makes sense. Cars are going to be in married sets, so i don't see the point of getting more 5 car sets that won't be split up. Less trucks and links to deal with.

I'm surprised that no one has noticed the last inclusion : Compatibility with Platform Screen Doors. Considering that its mentioned as a potential project, that part has me really intrigued. Makes you wonder if we're actually going to get them....

I'm surprised that no one has noticed the last inclusion : Compatibility with Platform Screen Doors. Considering that its mentioned as a potential project, that part has me really intrigued. Makes you wonder if we're actually going to get them....

Lol I was going to say that... anyway, at least the BMT Eastern Lines & IRT Lines are still capable of getting screen doors doe.

Interesting, early planning before a big change comes up later on anyways. I gotta see how long this will hold up for. 75 footer cars, not a problem at all! At least these could be a mash-up of the 68s and 160s in one design, I'm guessing.... ^_^

Very interesting...It would be cool to see a 75 footer car type in the NTT generation for the first time.

Perhaps they'll still keep the usual eight doors per car, though ten doors per car would be more suitable to reduce dwelling time. For example, the R46s were removed from the (E) years ago due to heavy loading on the 53rd Street corridor (and the 63rd Street corridor wasn't open at that time).

I think its just a result of the political pressure (since one of the MTA's reasonings for not putting in screen doors is that 60 and 75 footers have different door spacings)....

Guest MTA Bus

Now wait a second, one of the other threads was just talking about how 75 foot cars are restricted from a bunch of spots in the subway. Doesn't the MTA have to order some 60 foot cars in addition to the 75 footers?

The R211s will replace the R46s, so now.

Guest Lance

It looks like Transit is trying to break the mold with this order. It's only fitting that the first of the 2xx series will be decidedly different from the millennium series (142-160).

Has anyone here noticed " Open gangway between cars"?

Like gate cars?  :o 

I take it that would only work with platform screen doors, but there aren't going to be any when the cars first arrive.

Nah, possibly Articulated. Either fully like the D-Types or Semi-Articulated like the Toronto Rocket.

To Lance: I said something like this before. That perhaps the new first digit would mean something would be very different for the next generation. But I was called crazy and argued with. We'll find out if  I was right in a couple years.

RE: open gangways.

I've wanted that all along, but aren't there still spots (even in the IND) where 75 foot cars can't even have traditional diaphragms between carriages because of tight turns and/or switches? Bergen on the IND Crosstown comes to mind.

I've wanted that all along, but aren't there still spots (even in the IND) where 75 foot cars can't even have traditional diaphragms between carriages because of tight turns and/or switches? Bergen on the IND Crosstown comes to mind.

I would think this as well. To be honest, if they did go with a diaphragm design, they may have to restrict where this stock would be able to operate in revenue service.

Not to mention BMT Broadway between Cortlandt and City Hall. I'm amazed the 75footers can even squeal their way through there. I'm not sure you'd be able to make an articulated car navigate that S curve. 

Archived