R-211 Soliciations Have Been Posted

The Real

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MTA Bus

If I remember correctly, after the MTA ordered the R68s, they said they would not order anymore 75ft cars. Open gangways aren't a bad idea, the problem is the many curves that are in the BMT/IND division.

• 9 months later...

After watching this video of the Toronto Rocket going through a switch and a rather tight curve, there's no excuse to preclude the implementation of gangways between cars. It's also worth mentioning that the TR's cars are 76 feet long, although for the R211, 60 feet would be better so that the sideways motion between the car ends would be less pronounced. Also, to combat smells etc. they should keep at least one set of sliding doors between cars. 

i think open gangway had been used in past on MTA. iirc on the nostalgia xmas run there a married pair that have small connection. both side walls was curved   i  think once the train on curved, it moved to block you from entering the next car. i remember seeing that when it in action. i don't know which car number it was. 

i think open gangway had been used in past on MTA. iirc on the nostalgia xmas run there a married pair that have small connection. both side walls was curved   i  think once the train on curved, it moved to block you from entering the next car. i remember seeing that when it in action. i don't know which car number it was. 

D-Types Triplexes...

After watching this video of the Toronto Rocket going through a switch and a rather tight curve, there's no excuse to preclude the implementation of gangways between cars. It's also worth mentioning that the TR's cars are 76 feet long, although for the R211, 60 feet would be better so that the sideways motion between the car ends would be less pronounced. Also, to combat smells etc. they should keep at least one set of sliding doors between cars. 

Interesting. I wonder how tight that turn is. Looks tight for sure, but is it as tight as the BMT curve south of City Hall and the IND Crosstown switches between Jay and Bergen?

D-Types Triplexes...

Interesting. I wonder how tight that turn is. Looks tight for sure, but is it as tight as the BMT curve south of City Hall and the IND Crosstown switches between Jay and Bergen?

It's pretty tight. There are 2 curves on each side of Union Station along with 2 more on the Spadina leg that have radii of under 250 feet. Wilson Yard has a loop that is about the same size. I'll try and remember to get a video when I'm up there tomorrow.

We do not need more 75ft cars.

It was said that NYC Subway is not built for 75' cars, so the carbody is stressed in tight turns.

The R46s are in their 39th year of service. I think they're doing fine when it comes to the carbodies. They're expected to be in service into 2020, which will make them 45 years old. As for whether more 75 footers will come, who knows. The R211 order hasn't even been finalized yet.

The R46s are in their 39th year of service. I think they're doing fine when it comes to the carbodies. They're expected to be in service into 2020, which will make them 45 years old. As for whether more 75 footers will come, who knows. The R211 order hasn't even been finalized yet.

I'm not saying they're dying... just something to consider.

I can't believe my favorite train is about to be old. It seems like yesterday when I was little, I use to call them new trains because they looked newer than everything else before the tech trains came. Even looked newer than the R68's because of the rollsigns vs. the 46's digital side signs. I actually thought the R68 came before the R46 too lol. But damm. I didn't know they could last till 2020.

We do not need more 75ft cars.

It was said that NYC Subway is not built for 75' cars, so the carbody is stressed in tight turns.

Carbon fiber carbodies FTW. The tech is so advanced and well developed now that I wanna see Bomb or Alstom do it already. Reinforce the floor with Zylon plating and you got a goddamn tank (but lighter than the lightest aluminum cars).

Carbon fiber carbodies FTW. The tech is so advanced and well developed now that I wanna see Bomb or Alstom do it already. Reinforce the floor with Zylon plating and you got a goddamn tank (but lighter than the lightest aluminum cars).

I mean, we've had carbon fiber for decades, it's just that with train construction in particular there aren't many advantages that would allow for saving money (stress can be alleviated with proper construction, and it's not as if trains need to boost their max speed or decrease their fuel consumption)

I mean, we've had carbon fiber for decades, it's just that with train construction in particular there aren't many advantages that would allow for saving money (stress can be alleviated with proper construction, and it's not as if trains need to boost their max speed or decrease their fuel consumption)

It's been around for a long time, but only this past decade has it become reasonably priced for anything besides racing, aerospace and military applications. Lighter train cars would certainly help, seeing as how the (MTA) insists on rolling tanks for all their new subway cars. It could mean a subway car as strong or stronger than an R160 while weighing much less, and that means either improved acceleration for same power or same acceleration with less power. It is of course and issue of cost and whether a manufacturer would be able to get it done.

They should just make them 67.5', like the Standards. It worked for the BMT, it can work for the MTA.

Lets do the math...

10 car 60' train...600'

8 car 75' train...600'

9 car 67.5' train...607.5'

8 car 60' train...480'

7 car 67.5' train...472.5'

8 car 67.5' train...540'

Either way you look at it, it would either be too long or too short compared to the standard length we use now. Not to mention the sheet amount of conductor boards that would have to be replaced and/or moved.

The R110B cars that ran on the (A) line in the mid-90's were 67 feet-even apiece. They ran in a nine-car train, so that's 603 feet, just three feet longer than an eight-car R46 train or 10-car R32 train. Train length was never a problem with the R110B cars. It was the position of the cars' wheel sets (which caused them to turn wider than the old BMT Standards did and therefore have the same issues the 75-footers have in the Eastern Division) and the conductor's position on the train that caused the MTA to go back to 60 feet for the B-Division New Tech Trains. In 1996, three of the R110B cars were withdrawn from service and cannibalized for parts, so the remaining six cars ran on the (C) until 1999, I think. That was when the train became too short - at only 402 feet (vs. 480 for eight R32s). So 67-foot cars aren't necessarily a problem in the subway. They would just need to follow the BMT Standards' layout more closely, which may not be very practical for today's (or tomorrow's) subway needs.

That said, I think the R211s should be 75-foot cars. They'll just have to be restricted from running on the (J), (L) and (M) lines. Just like five-car sets of R160 trains are.

Archived