Pre-Interview for Subway Conductor

CR8094

I just got a letter from the MTA for Subway Conductor position. I took test #8094 back in December 2008 and my list number is #1162. The letter was a total surprise for me because after waiting so long (4 and a half years), I actually thought I wasn't going to get called for this job. And this I got caught by surprise, I'm not actually yet ready for this sort of job due to personal reason. Anyway, there's several questions that I have. First, the letter says its a Pre-Interview, does this meant that the hiring process isn't going to begin yet? Also it says that I have to take some hearing test when I report to the pre-interview. What's this hearing test about? Also, another thing I'm currently in college full time and I really want to finish up school before taking any job that will force me to leave to school. I should be graduating by the end of this year, in December. Is there any way I can't post-pone appointment for a later date? The letter states that I could decline appointment but that causes my name to get off of the list and I don't want that. I really want this job, I'm just not currently ready for this kinda job due to its long working hours and having to be available at anytime of the day/night and be willing to work any schedule. Its not that I'm lazy, I just simply want to finish up school and take care of some other obligations I currently have before taking a job like this. I don't want my name off of the list, I waited too long for this, but on the other hand I was hoping they would call me later this year (within about 6 months from I should be ready). What can I do regarding this? Also, what are the chances of getting hired? Do I have to pass all medical exams? Is there any other part of the hiring process that's required? Does getting fired from a previous job due to making a threat to a supervisor/manager have any effect on getting hired with the MTA? I need to know everything because right now I don't know what to expect regarding this job. Thanks for the info

You can decline and have your name reinstated to the list, but keep this in mind.

1. You would be effecting your seniority greatly
  2. There are not that many calls going out for conductor anymore as classes are becoming far and few between and there is no guarantee this won't be a final call however I doubt that to be the case.
  3. This list is aging and if you don't receive a call again before it expires you will be back to square one

It will still take a while for you to get to the C/R schoolcar from what I understand. If the issue is just classes, you should be able to squeeze them in over the next semester (can you try for summer classes?). If you end up with like 1 class left you can try an online course or something, Your credits  do not expire, but this job opportunity probably will. If there are other personal issues, like you mention, that's something else...

Archived